The Student Room Group

Do you have to pay back your Advanced Learner Loan if your on benefits?

Ive taken out 2 advanced learner loans. The first time I did not complete the course and left early, the second one I did complete the course. I'm assuming my second loan will get wiped off when I complete my undergraduate but I'm guessing the first one won't as I did leave the course early? Thats my first question.

Second question: I am being HOUNDED by my college to pay back that first loan, they are harassing me non stop and are very manipulative and told me I probably wouldn't be able to do this course because I didn't pay the first loan back - spoiler - I did get to complete this course they were trying to pressure me.

Now as far as I know, being on benefits mean you do not have to pay back the loan, even if you left the course early? I've been on benefits for a couple years now and I did pay the loan at first but I received a letter telling me that I no longer had to pay it back since I was on benefits and I'm pretty sure that was either from student finance or the college themselves but I cannot find that letter anywhere. Can someone confirm for me, or point me in the direction of a source that confirms I do not have to pay the loan back until I'm in employment? because they're threatening debt collectors now and I'm starting to get nervous.
Original post by PhoebeBatchelor
Ive taken out 2 advanced learner loans. The first time I did not complete the course and left early, the second one I did complete the course. I'm assuming my second loan will get wiped off when I complete my undergraduate but I'm guessing the first one won't as I did leave the course early? Thats my first question.

Second question: I am being HOUNDED by my college to pay back that first loan, they are harassing me non stop and are very manipulative and told me I probably wouldn't be able to do this course because I didn't pay the first loan back - spoiler - I did get to complete this course they were trying to pressure me.

Now as far as I know, being on benefits mean you do not have to pay back the loan, even if you left the course early? I've been on benefits for a couple years now and I did pay the loan at first but I received a letter telling me that I no longer had to pay it back since I was on benefits and I'm pretty sure that was either from student finance or the college themselves but I cannot find that letter anywhere. Can someone confirm for me, or point me in the direction of a source that confirms I do not have to pay the loan back until I'm in employment? because they're threatening debt collectors now and I'm starting to get nervous.

If you log into your student loan account, there should be a digital copy of any letters sent to you:

https://www.gov.uk/sign-in-to-manage-your-student-loan-balance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending