The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EvasiveRose
You could still get into Oxford with less than the stated 3As. Each case will be looked at by the college individually before a decision is made on those that have not made their offer. What course do you have an offer for anyway?

Law

There would still be a chance but I don't think it's a likely enough scenario for me to rest my hopes on.
I'm somewhat confident I at least met my offer grades based on general feelings about the exams. Just doing a little bit of pre-results day panic :smile:
Original post by Caitlan
Is anyone else in the situation of Oxford or nothing?

Oxford is my firm yet lowest grade offer so if I end up missing, it won't be good.

Original post by twelfthnight
I'm sort of in the same position - my insurance is the same as my Oxford offer (AAA) - I'm just hoping that if I get A*A*B (or even AAB) and Oxford don't accept me then my insurance will...

Caitlan do you have an insurance?

As twelfthnight says, your insurance might take you, even if Oxford doesn't.
Original post by fluteflute
Caitlan do you have an insurance?

As twelfthnight says, your insurance might take you, even if Oxford doesn't.

LSE is my insurance (although the offer is A*AA)
Original post by Caitlan
Law

There would still be a chance but I don't think it's a likely enough scenario for me to rest my hopes on.
I'm somewhat confident I at least met my offer grades based on general feelings about the exams. Just doing a little bit of pre-results day panic :smile:

Haha. I've been having a meltdown since my last exam. I'm dead certain I've got one B with a mixture of As and A*s so will have to wait till results day to learn my fate! I'm sure my insurance will take me despite it asking for the same grades so that helps slightly
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
There are two types of language course available: OPAL and LASR. The latter are designed for students who have to acquire language skills for research but any surplus places can also be allocated to students who would like to study out of general interest.

OPAL is assessed and is more demanding. LASR is not assessed. The costs for OPAL are also higher (£125 per term + £60 exam fee vs £35 per term for LASR). Colleges do generally offer assistance (eg 50% for OPAL if the course is completed) but the level of support may demand on the uptake (demand for these courses is difficult to predict and budget for).

Original post by Lucilou101
There are courses run at various levels and languages within Oxford by the uni. Normally you'd pay for it and then I believe the deal is you get half refunded by your college after completion (at least at Univ)

Here's some more info -
http://www.lang.ox.ac.uk/opalcourses/

Do you think it's a sensible idea to enroll myself on an OPAL course in my first year? The thing I'm concerned about is that there isn't really any way for me to gauge how massive the workload is going to be until the enrollment deadline has passed. The last thing I want to is to find that I'm so snowed under with work that I can't do the OPAL course any more but on the other hand, it looks really good...
There are courses run at various levels and languages within Oxford by the uni. Normally you'd pay for it and then I believe the deal is you get half refunded by your college after completion (at least at Univ)

Here's some more info -
http://www.lang.ox.ac.uk/opalcourses/

To current students, is it a good idea to sign up for these courses or do you find they lower the quality of your degree work & take up a lot of time? I'll hopefully be doing law but am tempted to sign up for a French proficiency class
Original post by Plagioclase
Do you think it's a sensible idea to enroll myself on an OPAL course in my first year? The thing I'm concerned about is that there isn't really any way for me to gauge how massive the workload is going to be until the enrollment deadline has passed. The last thing I want to is to find that I'm so snowed under with work that I can't do the OPAL course any more but on the other hand, it looks really good...

Original post by barcastyleofplay
To current students, is it a good idea to sign up for these courses or do you find they lower the quality of your degree work & take up a lot of time? I'll hopefully be doing law but am tempted to sign up for a French proficiency class

I haven't done one myself, but my friend did the OPAL Arabic course alongside her first year of Classics. As far as I'm aware, they won't let you do it if you have exams that year. So for most students you would be able to do it in the 2nd year of your degree (arts degrees anyway). She said it was a lot more work, but incredibly worthwhile.

I'm thinking of doing the French OPAL in my 3rd year, depending on how work levels continue.

To Barcastyleofplay - it wouldn't be wise in your first year because mods are in second term for Law and so you definitely wouldn't have time. After mods, you may be able to switch to Law with French Law if you have A-Level French, and if not then 2nd year could be a time to take up an OPAL course :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I haven't done one myself, but my friend did the OPAL Arabic course alongside her first year of Classics. As far as I'm aware, they won't let you do it if you have exams that year. So for most students you would be able to do it in the 2nd year of your degree (arts degrees anyway). She said it was a lot more work, but incredibly worthwhile.

I'm thinking of doing the French OPAL in my 3rd year, depending on how work levels continue.

To Barcastyleofplay - if you're thinking of that you might what to consider applying for the Law with French Law course :smile:

What, which courses don't have exams at the end of the year? Wouldn't that strike out all science courses?
What, which courses don't have exams at the end of the year? Wouldn't that strike out all science courses?

Classics doesn't in 1st and 3rd, most arts degrees don't have exams in 2nd year. But yes that would strike out most science courses. That doesn't necessarily mean that no science students would be able to manage an extra language course - but that it would need to be considered and thats probably easier to do after you've spent a year studying already and know how best you work etc.
Classics doesn't in 1st and 3rd, most arts degrees don't have exams in 2nd year. But yes that would strike out most science courses. That doesn't necessarily mean that no science students would be able to manage an extra language course - but that it would need to be considered and thats probably easier to do after you've spent a year studying already and know how best you work etc.

That's a big shame but probably sensible. Thanks anyway.

To Barcastyleofplay - it wouldn't be wise in your first year because mods are in second term for Law and so you definitely wouldn't have time. After mods, you may be able to switch to Law with French Law if you have A-Level French, and if not then 2nd year could be a time to take up an OPAL course :smile:

Thanks for your help. Yeah I do have A-Level French, would you say it's easy to switch to Law with French Law while on the course? Does it happen often? (i.e. is oxford flexible with course changes?)
Original post by barcastyleofplay
Thanks for your help. Yeah I do have A-Level French, would you say it's easy to switch to Law with French Law while on the course? Does it happen often? (i.e. is oxford flexible with course changes?)

Law to Law with French Law isn't the same switch as say Classics to English. Your Law part of the degree would be the exact same and you would just add in some lessons on French Law and the year abroad. I don't know how common it is to be able to swap, and I wouldn't want to give you false hope that its likely to be a possibility.

There is a set limit of places for Law with foreign law, which is controlled by the Law faculty. Those with Law with a foreign law attached, need to achieve a certain level in Mods (1st year exams - I believe a 2:1) to be able to continue on the foreign law path, or they revert to just straight Law.

That means, that if any spaces do become available on the faculty level, then you can apply after Mods to swap to French Law, Spanish Law etc. I do know of someone at Wadham who did this - so it is definitely a possibility, but there is no guarantee.

Edit: Just spoke to my friend who does Law and she said this year there were spaces for swapping to German and French after Mods. But she also said the spaces were incredibly competitive.
(edited 8 years ago)
So, if OPAL isn't probable in the first year, do you think its possible to try and do a LASR course instead?
Reply 1273
Has anyone thought about buying stuff they'll need for starting yet? Specifically, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy academic dress now seeing as it's definitely necessary and will presumably save a bit of time / stress when everyone rushes the places which sell it right at the start of term. Or is buying all that stuff a sort of 0th week activity?

Applies to people not waiting for results, naturally.
Original post by AdamY
Has anyone thought about buying stuff they'll need for starting yet? Specifically, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy academic dress now seeing as it's definitely necessary and will presumably save a bit of time / stress when everyone rushes the places which sell it right at the start of term. Or is buying all that stuff a sort of 0th week activity?

Applies to people not waiting for results, naturally.

I thought most people rented gowns?
Reply 1275

Nope, needed frequently so that would be a bad idea!

Different gowns. The undergraduates gown is used a lot. Costs £25 for gown + mortar + bow tie. Not worth renting.

You hire a graduate gown for the BA ceremony because you are only going to use it once (after you've left).
Original post by Pars12
Different gowns. The undergraduates gown is used a lot. Costs £25 for gown + mortar + bow tie. Not worth renting.

You hire a graduate gown for the BA ceremony because you are only going to use it once (after you've left).

Ah, that's probably what I was getting mixed up with. Thanks!
Reply 1278
If it's better to wait a year to gauge workload before enrolling in an OPAL course then are there any ways to maintain language skills in the meantime? E.g. I've studied Spanish to A Level and I'd hate to abandon it for a year or two and have to relearn some things when I eventually have the time to do a course... are there language societies etc. that allow you to keep your language skills ticking over in the meantime without the pressure of an exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yaz97
If it's better to wait a year to gauge workload before enrolling in an OPAL course then are there any ways to maintain language skills in the meantime? E.g. I've studied Spanish to A Level and I'd hate to abandon it for a year or two and have to relearn some things when I eventually have the time to do a course... are there language societies etc. that allow you to keep your language skills ticking over in the meantime without the pressure of an exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was checking the list of societies earlier and it seems that the Japanese Society hosts informal language lessons which would help me, so I wouldn't be surprised if a Spanish society did the same.

Maybe look here?

Also according to this they have got conversation classes.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending