The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sam_town1
Hi all, I'm a first year cardiac physiology student at Southampton and am currently setting my sights on graduate entry medicine for 2017, so far I'm looking at Southampton and Newcastle, kind of stuck for others to look at (won't go near anyone that uses GAMSAT - really hate that test), any suggestions on other uni's to look at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kings and Warwick :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sam_town1
Hi all, I'm a first year cardiac physiology student at Southampton and am currently setting my sights on graduate entry medicine for 2017, so far I'm looking at Southampton and Newcastle, kind of stuck for others to look at (won't go near anyone that uses GAMSAT - really hate that test), any suggestions on other uni's to look at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick and kings both use UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Hi all. I am a nursing student, graduating next year with predicted 1st. I have done my access to nursing but don't hold any other english qualifications (my A levels from overseas are non-science related). Do you think I can get into medicine without having to take A levels in biology and chemistry? I am planning to take both GAMSAT and UKCAT next year and trying to get in to: St. Georges, Warwick, Newcastle or Barts and the London. What are your opinions?
Original post by Lena000
Hi all. I am a nursing student, graduating next year with predicted 1st. I have done my access to nursing but don't hold any other english qualifications (my A levels from overseas are non-science related). Do you think I can get into medicine without having to take A levels in biology and chemistry? I am planning to take both GAMSAT and UKCAT next year and trying to get in to: St. Georges, Warwick, Newcastle or Barts and the London. What are your opinions?

It's possible. Barts asks for a predicted/have achieved at least an upper second class honours degree in a science/health related subject. There must have been a significant component of Biology and Chemistry in your degree programme, at least equivalent to AS-level. Alternatively, you must have achieved grades of at least BB in A-level Biology and Chemistry prior to starting your degree or you must be completing or have completed AS-levels in Chemistry and Biology and be predicted/have achieved B grades in both.

I suppose it depends on your course.
Hi everyone!

Law (2:1) graduate here. I want to apply next year but I'm not too sure what my chances of success will be because I had to resit during my A Levels and thus, spent 3 years in college instead of the standard 2. I'm just worried this will affect my chances because I know medical schools don't look upon resits kindly.

Would it be worth emailing them individually to ask them if they have any policy on A levels?

I was considering Southampton but I have an E in AS Chemistry and I don't know if they'll accept any resits.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Hi everyone!

Law (2:1) graduate here. I want to apply next year but I'm not too sure what my chances of success will be because I had to resit during my A Levels and thus, spent 3 years in college instead of the standard 2. I'm just worried this will affect my chances because I know medical schools don't look upon resits kindly.

Would it be worth emailing them individually to ask them if they have any policy on A levels?

I was considering Southampton but I have an E in AS Chemistry and I don't know if they'll accept any resits.

There are some schools that don't even look at A-Levels at all, i.e. Warwick, and I think generally the unis are more lenient for graduates than they would be for school leavers entering the 5 year course, as you'll have achieved a degree which is a more recent example of academic achievement.

I think it'd definitely be worth contacting individual schools, but there will be ones open to you :smile: Would you consider taking the GAMSAT? As Notts, SGUL, Swansea are open to any degree subject.
Original post by Going_To_California
There are some schools that don't even look at A-Levels at all, i.e. Warwick, and I think generally the unis are more lenient for graduates than they would be for school leavers entering the 5 year course, as you'll have achieved a degree which is a more recent example of academic achievement.

I think it'd definitely be worth contacting individual schools, but there will be ones open to you :smile: Would you consider taking the GAMSAT? As Notts, SGUL, Swansea are open to any degree subject.

Thanks!

Yeah I've noticed how Grad Medicine is a bit more similar to the US system where your Bachelors takes precedence over your school grades.

Yeah I've already started studying for the GAMSAT. I'm going to sit the Irish one in March and if my grades aren't good enough I'll resit in September. Oh the joy.
Hi guys, I'm about to start my 3rd year of undergrad neuroscience (3rd of 4 - Scottish system) and am hoping to apply next year for 2017 entry. Somewhat nervous because of all the experience some folk seem to have due to having graduated longer ago etc., but I've wanted to be a doctor for such a long time I'm just going for it. Top two choices currently are Newcastle and Warwick, but I still need to look into other (preferably UKCAT) schools - London scares me off purely due to cost!

What has everyone done or is planning to do in terms of work experience? I'm about to start volunteering on an elderly patients ward in my local hospital and I'm chasing up my GP for some shadowing. I already have a part time job, I spent a year working with SEN kids in a secondary school, charity work, starting my own society at uni etc etc., but I really want to get some extra volunteering in. Ideally I want to get an HCA job but it's proving pretty tough as I don't have time to train.
Reply 108
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Hi everyone!

I had to resit year 13 (extenuating circumstances but not declared on my UCAS form) as well as redoing my English GCSE after I finished my MSc. All on my UCAS form and I got 4 offers so check what the universities you want to apply for say but you have options. I also have a 2:2 and MSc so had limited options.
Original post by M150
I had to resit year 13 (extenuating circumstances but not declared on my UCAS form) as well as redoing my English GCSE after I finished my MSc. All on my UCAS form and I got 4 offers so check what the universities you want to apply for say but you have options. I also have a 2:2 and MSc so had limited options.

Thanks!

Congrats on your offers! :biggrin:
Does anyone have a rough idea of what kind of UKCAT cut off score different universities want? Newcastle is one of my top choices but I've read they're known for being very high due to accepting any discipline degree.
Original post by sophmlg
Does anyone have a rough idea of what kind of UKCAT cut off score different universities want? Newcastle is one of my top choices but I've read they're known for being very high due to accepting any discipline degree.

To stand a chance of a successful GEM application, you need to be aiming for a score that puts you in the top 5-10% of UKCAT test takers. This is usually anything >700, but sometimes it is higher/lower. For example, when I applied as a school-leaver in 2014, you needed a score of 765 for an interview for the Newcastle GEM 4 year course, and a score of 745 for the Newcastle A100 5 year course. 2014 was a year when the UKCAT scores were massively inflated. However in 2012 the cut off score for an interview for Newcastle GEM was 702.5, so it changes every year. For Newcastle, basically aim for a score in the top 5% of test takers.

For Warwick and Southampton, normally a score of >700 puts you in with a good chance for an interview. However again it changes every year-I think in 2014 you needed at least 750 for an interview at both places, but as I said previously that was when everyone did amazingly with loads of applicants getting a score of >700.

Like you, Newcastle or Southampton will probably be my top choice. Edinburgh was originally, but since Alex Salmond said today that there will be a second independence referendum, I don't think I will even bother applying there anymore.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi again everyone,
Hope everyone's applications/plans are moving along well.

I just wanted to check some figures re. funding for GEM. I wrote the below awhile back and was wondering if the numbers still stood or if anything has changed?
I think I used the Cambridge guide of needing around £11,000 for living costs (for some reason I seemed to choose £11,750 as my actual figure, can't remember why!), and this is for accommodation, living costs, academic needs (books, equipment etc), travel etc. Is this too high a figure, what's realistic? I lived as a student in expensive student accom for my 4 years in St Andrews and did it on a lot less than £11,000 (but then had much cheaper tuition fees at the time and undergrad term times!)...what do people think?
*An extra note: this is based on receiving the full help as I don't earn enough to be considered for anything other currently.

Funding:
Year One

Tuition Fee Loan of up to £5535

In Year One you must pay for £3465 of the Tuition Fees yourself

Maintenance Loan of £5500 (non means tested and means tested)

Tuition Fees = £3500
Maintenance = £6250

Year Two

NHS bursary pays for £3465 of Tuition Fee

NHS bursary (for living) of £4395

NHS grant of £1000

Maintenance Loan of £2324

Tuition Fees = £0
Maintenance = £4031

Year Three

NHS grant of £1000

Tuition Fees = £0
Maintenance = £4031

Year Four

NHS grant of £1000

Maintenance Loan of £1811

Tuition Fees = £0
Maintenance = £4544

Totals:
Tuition Fee Loan = £22,140
Maintenance Loan = £11,959
All bursaries/grants = £26,580
Self funded = £22,356

These calculations right here are why I've delayed applying until 2016, to save the £20,000+ and for some reason I had it in my head a few years ago that you could only get either the loans or bursaries or grants having funded yourself for 3 years (i.e. no parental help like at Uni). I haven't been able to find anything referring to that since so either I dreamt it and it was never the case or it was but isn't now!

I don't mean to get too personal but what calculations are you guys basing your finances on?
The fact this thread exists scares me a little!
I'm doing natural sciences at the moment in Nottingham.
I'll graduate in the summer of 2017 and plan to head straight in grad med that September.
It scares me a little as I haven't even started second year yet!
I'm currently narrowing down my choices...
Will definitely be doing UKCAT and GAMSAT and will start preparing later this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kendellex
The fact this thread exists scares me a little!
I'm doing natural sciences at the moment in Nottingham.
I'll graduate in the summer of 2017 and plan to head straight in grad med that September.
It scares me a little as I haven't even started second year yet!
I'm currently narrowing down my choices...
Will definitely be doing UKCAT and GAMSAT and will start preparing later this year!

I'm in the same position, except I'm about to go into third year out of four (Scottish system). How are you planning to fit in GAMSAT revision? I had basically ruled that out purely because I don't know if I can fit it in around uni and my job, as well as concentrating on getting some experience :frown:
Seriously how on earth are you meant to get GP shadowing experience? It's been 2 months and I've asked 18 surgeries and they've all either said no, or say 'we'll call you back' but weeks pass and they don't.
Reply 116
Original post by sophmlg
I'm in the same position, except I'm about to go into third year out of four (Scottish system). How are you planning to fit in GAMSAT revision? I had basically ruled that out purely because I don't know if I can fit it in around uni and my job, as well as concentrating on getting some experience :frown:

Treat GAMSAT revision like a year long university module. Commit the same time to it as you would a module, and you should be ok.
Original post by sophmlg

I'm doing all my experience during my holidays. I've been guaranteed a job in a care facility and I'll be getting work experience within a hospital/GP during the term.
I'm basically just going to organise my life to the T. Just learn to dedicate time to gamsat. I know it's going to be so hard next year as I'll also have to May sure I'm sitting on a decent grade but it will be worth it. I'm ordering the practice kit online ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Indy108
Seriously how on earth are you meant to get GP shadowing experience? It's been 2 months and I've asked 18 surgeries and they've all either said no, or say 'we'll call you back' but weeks pass and they don't.

You don't need GP experience... As long as you have some work experience it doesn't matter.
Original post by mscking7
Hi again everyone,
Hope everyone's applications/plans are moving along well.

I just wanted to check some figures re. funding for GEM. I wrote the below awhile back and was wondering if the numbers still stood or if anything has changed?
I think I used the Cambridge guide of needing around £11,000 for living costs (for some reason I seemed to choose £11,750 as my actual figure, can't remember why!), and this is for accommodation, living costs, academic needs (books, equipment etc), travel etc. Is this too high a figure, what's realistic? I lived as a student in expensive student accom for my 4 years in St Andrews and did it on a lot less than £11,000 (but then had much cheaper tuition fees at the time and undergrad term times!)...what do people think?
*An extra note: this is based on receiving the full help as I don't earn enough to be considered for anything other currently.

Funding:
Year One

In Year One you must pay for £3465 of the Tuition Fees yourself

Maintenance Loan of £5500 (non means tested and means tested)

Tuition Fees = £3500
Maintenance = £6250

Year Two

NHS grant of £1000

Tuition Fees = £0
Maintenance = £4031

Year Three

NHS grant of £1000

Tuition Fees = £0
Maintenance = £4031

Year Four

NHS grant of £1000

Maintenance Loan of £1811

Tuition Fees = £0
Maintenance = £4544

Totals:
Tuition Fee Loan = £22,140
Maintenance Loan = £11,959
All bursaries/grants = £26,580
Self funded = £22,356

These calculations right here are why I've delayed applying until 2016, to save the £20,000+ and for some reason I had it in my head a few years ago that you could only get either the loans or bursaries or grants having funded yourself for 3 years (i.e. no parental help like at Uni). I haven't been able to find anything referring to that since so either I dreamt it and it was never the case or it was but isn't now!

I don't mean to get too personal but what calculations are you guys basing your finances on?

I'm starting GEM in Southampton and I've calculated more like £8000/year for living costs...

Also I thought that £5740 was the max slc loan as well but I've just had mine approved for next year and it's come out as closer to 8k....not sure why as this isn't widely publicised but apparently it's correct!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending