The Student Room Group

What's your main reason for going to university?

Poll

What's your main reason for uni?

Which is your main personal reason for uni?

- Securing a great paying job after ?

- To follow your passion ?

- For the uni ''experience''/social life ?

Please vote and comment. Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

1.To become a nurse
2. thats it really:P
1. Cheap booze
2. Hot girls
3. A great education

In that order
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
1.To become a nurse
2. thats it really:P

So passion?
Original post by onimusha370
1. Cheap booze
2. Hot girls
3. A great education

In that order

Wow okay.
1. Follow my passion/continue a subject that I love and enjoy
2. Gain independence away from family
3. The uni experience/meeting new people
Original post by Anunaki
So passion?

A passion to help people yes:smile:
Like the subject and can't get anywhere without a degree in the field of science. I also want to avoid getting a real job for as long as possible as the real world sucks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
majority of people do it to avoid getting a real job for as long as possible because the real working world sucks asssssssss
To study my subject.

Is this supposed to fall under "follow my passion"
Reply 9
A passion to help people yes:smile:

Why do you think almost all nurses are female everywhere in the world? And even other similar jobs like animal shelters or sanctuaries, there are very few men doing them.
Well funny thing actually, I'm scrapping my unconditional place tomorrow at University of Manchester and instead, I am going into the merchant navy. I realised that the biosciences are dead end, high unemployment zone and that it wasn't worth spending 4 years studying in that area of study. My reason to go to university was to develop my employability skills to try and get a job in the pharmaceutical industry in research. Then realised employment chances suck because too many people do it. I'll instead be joining the merchant navy in January as a cadet, have all my training paid for, get proper experience on naval vessels, get a growing training allowance each year and will likely get a job at the end starting off at £27-£30K. To think, I was ignoring this for years and all of my Dad's advice. I got lucky actually because I would have started university last year were it not for invasive surgery so thank you invasive surgery.
Original post by Anunaki
Why do you think almost all nurses are female everywhere in the world? And even other similar jobs like animal shelters or sanctuaries, there are very few men doing them.

Well 10% of nurses are men now so its improving for sure. I think its a silly stereotype that stops men from going into caring professions really and some people still stigmatise them as being "women-only" jobs.
To keep up with the competition for the jobs I want, not just a degree but skills I learn, roles of responsibility etc.
Reply 13
mine is very different.

its just.to be able to claim "STEM masterrace"
Reply 14
Well 10% of nurses are men now so its improving for sure. I think its a silly stereotype that stops men from going into caring professions really and some people still stigmatise them as being "women-only" jobs.

Oh, ok. So nothing to do with women being the nurturing gender for the entire human history in every culture and for millions of years of our pre-sapiens stage and the fact that literally all of the thousands of species of mammals exhibit exactly the same behaviour?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Furios
mine is very different.

its just.to be able to claim "STEM masterrace"

What a pitiful attempt at trolling. No wonder you only have 3 gems with 600 posts, ya c*nt.
Original post by Anunaki
Oh, ok. So nothing to do with the women the nurturing gender for the entire human history in every culture and for millions of years and our pre-sapiens stage and the fact that literally all of the thousands of species of mammals exhibit exactly the same behaviour?

Men can also have those nurturing/caring qualities but people stigmatise that to be unmanly and only a womans jobs and the like.
Original post by studentLynch
majority of people do it to avoid getting a real job for as long as possible because the real working world sucks asssssssss

Yes, this is my reason as well

I am going uni cos lyfe sucks too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Men can also have those nurturing/caring qualities but people stigmatise that to be unmanly and only a womans jobs and the like.

Yes, I know some of that goes on. But is there anything brain or hormonal related that is inherent in the sexes that could contribute to women being the vast majority of workers in nurturing/caring professions?
Reply 19
Original post by Bobby Schamouth
What a pitiful attempt at trolling. No wonder you only have 3 gems with 600 posts, ya c*nt.

:frown:

I'm going to uni to phuck hot girls and follow my passion.
there. I said it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest