The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hypnotized
Is it too late to apply for this cycle, considering I need to get a decent chunk of work experience? Could I say in my PS that I would be getting exp later on in the year? Also when some unis say they want a 'science subject' for your degree, does CS or Maths count?

No, you need to have completed work experience to talk about in your personal statement.

A science subject normally means biology or chemistry to at least AS level.

I'd say your best bet is to focus on experience this year, and apply in September. Might be worth practising the UKCAT in advance this year (people improve on multiple attempts).
Original post by MJK91

I meant for the degree subject that you do itself, for example King's says they want a 2.1 in a 'science subject'.
I meant for the degree subject that you do itself, for example King's says they want a 2.1 in a 'science subject'.

Sorry got a bit muddled in my reply. A 'science subject' will normally still be a degree containing biology or chemistry to at least AS-level standard. Hope that clarifies a bit. Computer science, maths, physics don't normally count (definitely not for King's).
Original post by HCAssistant93
Now I'm confused haha! But I thought unis took the top scores of their applicants? Let's say the top marks were 750-800, but a uni only got applicants where the max score was 750, they'd have to take the top 20 percent from their pool? Does that make sense? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats right :smile:
Original post by MJK91
Sorry got a bit muddled in my reply. A 'science subject' will normally still be a degree containing biology or chemistry to at least AS-level standard. Hope that clarifies a bit. Computer science, maths, physics don't normally count (definitely not for King's).

I see, thanks for clarifying. I assume this holds even if you have Chem A-level already. Regardless I think I'll try to get some work experience for September, which is probably fairly difficult but you never know if you ask the right people.
I see, thanks for clarifying. I assume this holds even if you have Chem A-level already. Regardless I think I'll try to get some work experience for September, which is probably fairly difficult but you never know if you ask the right people.

Worth checking with the schools, some will let you off the degree requirements (e.g. Barts) if you have chemistry at A-level.

Work experience, i.e. shadowing and so on, isn't really the problem. Most schools are looking for a commitment to care, so you will need at least some voluntary experience (working in a hospital, a care home, St Johns, something non-personal and involving patients). The longer the better.

By all means attempt applying, but realistically this is what schools are looking for. In reality your UKCAT score will determine how much chance you have of an interview, but the voluntary experience will determine whether you get an offer.

Good luck!
Original post by MJK91
No, you need to have completed work experience to talk about in your personal statement.

I'd say your best bet is to focus on experience this year, and apply in September. Might be worth practising the UKCAT in advance this year (people improve on multiple attempts).

Hi MJK,

I noticed that you mentioned you did multiple application cycles before getting in at WMS. Would you mind sharing your initial scores and thought process when you didn't get in? And what you then did during this interim period to further strengthen your application?

I'm a bit in limbo at the moment, as I definitely scored a mediocre UKCAT score (635) this morning, which is not worthy of GEM, but part of me wants to carry on with the application just so I can get the full admission cycle "experience" of writing a personal statement and the pain-staking "Reject" on UCAS. The other half of me wants to submit this score for the 5-year courses and use the interviews (should I even get any for the 5-year course) as a further test run for future GEM applications.

What are everyone's thoughts/experiences about having such a non-competitive UKCAT score and the out look of multiple application cycles?
Original post by PkT1991
Hi MJK,

I noticed that you mentioned you did multiple application cycles before getting in at WMS. Would you mind sharing your initial scores and thought process when you didn't get in? And what you then did during this interim period to further strengthen your application?

I'm a bit in limbo at the moment, as I definitely scored a mediocre UKCAT score (635) this morning, which is not worthy of GEM, but part of me wants to carry on with the application just so I can get the full admission cycle "experience" of writing a personal statement and the pain-staking "Reject" on UCAS. The other half of me wants to submit this score for the 5-year courses and use the interviews (should I even get any for the 5-year course) as a further test run for future GEM applications.

What are everyone's thoughts/experiences about having such a non-competitive UKCAT score and the out look of multiple application cycles?

I also didn't get an awesome UKCAT score this morning &I will still be applying so I can also get the entire experience just like you. I don't think there's any point in not even trying tbh since we don't really have anything to loose. I thinks it's worth it - what if a miracle happens 😂 JS
Original post by Emily Thorne
I also didn't get an awesome UKCAT score this morning &I will still be applying so I can also get the entire experience just like you. I don't think there's any point in not even trying tbh since we don't really have anything to loose. I thinks it's worth it - what if a miracle happens 😂 JS

Thanks, you're right. Miracles may happen!

If you don't mind, may I ask what score you got?
Original post by PkT1991
Hi MJK,

Original post by Emily Thorne

I got approx. 600 on my first sitting I think, 740 on my second (in a very high scoring cohort however, easier test!) and then 702.5 on my successful attempts.

My advice would be not to apply to GEM with below 650. It's demoralising having rejections; I did it myself and even though you know it's coming, you ultimately still have that "what if..." painfully drained out of you. Honestly, it's not worth it: you will not get in with those scores, it's a frustrating fact. That's aside from the fact, as you mention, that writing a PS etc is quite a toll in itself. The main benefit, which you've already taken from this year, is essentially having a practice UKCAT run. That'll help you next time around :smile:

Double check you're not eligible for one of the non-UKCAT courses (e.g. Bristol, Cambridge) just in case you think you might be a good fit. Same with 5-year if you can (in the unlikely event!) afford £40k on tuition. But in terms of UKCAT universities it's game over for the year, and too late for the GAMSAT.

Using 5-year for interviews is not a bad shout if you have the time and money to apply, I suppose. So long as your expectations aren't to get into GEM I don't see the harm. Maybe try and apply to similar schools to those who have similar interview formats for GEM (MMIs would be useful, bit weird to get used to!)

In terms of strengthening your application, that's really your call as I don't know your background. As a general rule, add something. If you haven't done care experience yet, that's the most beneficial thing. If you can't get it, try some form of longer term voluntary work. Add a bit of shadowing if you're a bit light there: they will ask you at interview about life as a doctor in some fashion or another!

To give you an idea of my route, on my first attempt I had mostly personal care experience and academic experience (research etc). Second time around I added voluntary work, but Warwick (the only one where my UKCAT was acceptable) added the requirement for non-personal care. So by third time around I'd undertaken clinical work (at work, and abroad in Uganda for a short while) to help compensate for this.

Good luck next year -- persistence is everything :smile: It's a question of how much you want it and how willing you are to tick boxes! Nothing more.
Original post by MJK91
I got approx. 600 on my first sitting I think, 740 on my second (in a very high scoring cohort however, easier test!) and then 702.5 on my successful attempts.

My advice would be not to apply to GEM with below 650. It's demoralising having rejections; I did it myself and even though you know it's coming, you ultimately still have that "what if..." painfully drained out of you. Honestly, it's not worth it: you will not get in with those scores, it's a frustrating fact. That's aside from the fact, as you mention, that writing a PS etc is quite a toll in itself. The main benefit, which you've already taken from this year, is essentially having a practice UKCAT run. That'll help you next time around :smile:

Double check you're not eligible for one of the non-UKCAT courses (e.g. Bristol, Cambridge) just in case you think you might be a good fit. Same with 5-year if you can (in the unlikely event!) afford £40k on tuition. But in terms of UKCAT universities it's game over for the year, and too late for the GAMSAT.

Using 5-year for interviews is not a bad shout if you have the time and money to apply, I suppose. So long as your expectations aren't to get into GEM I don't see the harm. Maybe try and apply to similar schools to those who have similar interview formats for GEM (MMIs would be useful, bit weird to get used to!)

In terms of strengthening your application, that's really your call as I don't know your background. As a general rule, add something. If you haven't done care experience yet, that's the most beneficial thing. If you can't get it, try some form of longer term voluntary work. Add a bit of shadowing if you're a bit light there: they will ask you at interview about life as a doctor in some fashion or another!

To give you an idea of my route, on my first attempt I had mostly personal care experience and academic experience (research etc). Second time around I added voluntary work, but Warwick (the only one where my UKCAT was acceptable) added the requirement for non-personal care. So by third time around I'd undertaken clinical work (at work, and abroad in Uganda for a short while) to help compensate for this.

Good luck next year -- persistence is everything :smile: It's a question of how much you want it and how willing you are to tick boxes! Nothing more.

Hi,

Do you think applying to GEM courses with 2610 and SJT 1 would be suicide? If no, which unis would you say I have a chance with?
Original post by Ooompalumpa
Hi,

Do you think applying to GEM courses with 2610 and SJT 1 would be suicide? If no, which unis would you say I have a chance with?

I think the odds are against you, I chose 650 as an absolute lowest imaginable cut-off for Warwick but I don't think it's ever been that low.

I don't think you'd have a realistic chance at any of the GEM unis, so your options are to apply to Warwick as an unlikely point, consider non-UKCAT universities, 5-year courses if you can afford them, or wait 'til next year and try again.

Good luck!
I think everyone should just apply. No harm! I've been through the process twice and have written 2 personal statements. Had an interview at Kings (who by the way last year accepted people with a 630 UKCAT if you have a first class degree). And whilst I did feel disappointed it made me want to do better this time. If you have the time. Do it. :smile:
Original post by Amywool
Had an interview at Kings (who by the way last year accepted people with a 630 UKCAT if you have a first class degree).

Really? For GEM?

If so ignore most of my post above! But I thought it was approx. 740 last year?
Original post by Amywool
I think everyone should just apply. No harm! I've been through the process twice and have written 2 personal statements. Had an interview at Kings (who by the way last year accepted people with a 630 UKCAT if you have a first class degree). And whilst I did feel disappointed it made me want to do better this time. If you have the time. Do it. :smile:

For the 4 year course?
Original post by MJK91
I think the odds are against you, I chose 650 as an absolute lowest imaginable cut-off for Warwick but I don't think it's ever been that low.

I don't think you'd have a realistic chance at any of the GEM unis, so your options are to apply to Warwick as an unlikely point, consider non-UKCAT universities, 5-year courses if you can afford them, or wait 'til next year and try again.

Good luck!

Oh okay-Thank you for your suggestions!
Original post by MJK91

Hey, what do u mean Warwick require "non personal care" ?!!
Original post by Amywool

No way I struggle to believe that's true!! I can't believe it!
Original post by PkT1991
Thanks, you're right. Miracles may happen!

If you don't mind, may I ask what score you got?

I got 580 APPALING! I know! Mentally prepared for rejections aha! Struggled with VR & DA! Which universities will you be applying to? And are you also doing the BMAT or GAMSAT?
Hi. I just want to ask if I would possibly get into medicine at Birmingham University? I received my AS results ABBB so next year I will be predicted A*AA. GCSEs I got 3A*s 5As 3Bs 2Cs, I know they are bad but it was due to severe anaemia which is classed as extenuating circumstances. I'm planning on going through the A2B Scheme and will be doing the UKCAT soon. Is it possible? What are the chances of getting in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending