The Student Room Group

Lactose Intolerant Questionnaire

My A2 food technology coursework is based on lactose intolerance and I would be very grateful if anybody who is lactose intolerant would answer this Questionnaire and any other relevant information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! 1) 1) Are youfemale or male?2) 2)How old are you? 3) 3) How old were you when you were diagnosed asbeing lactose intolerant? 4) 4) Do you feelyou understand your intolerance? If not why not? 5) 5) Do yousuffer with any symptoms due to being lactose intolerant? If sowhat are your symptoms? 6) 6) Due to yourintolerance do you struggle to eat out? 7) 7) Did youknow “Lactofree” deliver their products to a range of restaurants?If not do you feel this is because A. It is notadvertised on the menu? B. You don’t eat out enough to know? 8) What is yourlactose free favourite meal? 9) When you eatat home what are the main 3 lactose free dishes you cook? 10) Do you feel there is a big enough product market aimed atlactose intolerance? If not what sort of products do youfeel are lacking and would like to see more of? 11) Do you use lactose substitutes ie- products from“Lactofree” or lactose free products ie-cutting out all cheeses? 12) If the above question is answered “lactose substitute”what is your favourite lactose free substitute you cook with?Why? �FٍM�L
1) Male
2) 20
3) 20
4) Yeah kinda
5) Flatulence, extreme bloatedness, stomach pains - usually in the middle of the night after eating too much dairy, often accompanied with a hot sweat.
6) No not really, and I still order a cheese board quite frequently.
7) No
8) If it doesn't have cheese, it usually isn't a favourite meal
9) See above.
10) Yep
11) No
12) N/A

As you can tell, my lactase levels are quite good but often not high enough. Ate about 400g of yoghurt before going to bed last night and woke up at 6am in a lot of pain... but yoghurt is damn good and I'm not gonna stop. I discovered I was lactose intolerant when trying to make "gains" at the gym by drinking lots of milk. Now that I know it means a couple of decades of pain make a lot more sense.
Reply 2
Original post by foodtech123
My A2 food technology coursework is based on lactose intolerance and I would be very grateful if anybody who is lactose intolerant would answer this Questionnaire and any other relevant information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! 1) 1) Are youfemale or male? Female 2) 2)How old are you? 18 3) 3) How old were you when you were diagnosed asbeing lactose intolerant? 17 4) 4) Do you feelyou understand your intolerance? If not why not? Partially, it depends on what type of dairy product i have as it triggers different syptoms. 5) 5) Do yousuffer with any symptoms due to being lactose intolerant? If sowhat are your symptoms? Stomach pains, diorreah, feeling nauseous, vomiting, dizziness, hot flushes 6) 6) Due to yourintolerance do you struggle to eat out? All the time haha 7) 7) Did youknow “Lactofree” deliver their products to a range of restaurants?If not do you feel this is because A. It is notadvertised on the menu? B. You don’t eat out enough to know? Not advertised enough 8) What is yourlactose free favourite meal? Sweet chilli grilled chicken salad 9) When you eatat home what are the main 3 lactose free dishes you cook? Red pepper and tomato soup, chicken salad, jacket potato with beans and salad 10) Do you feel there is a big enough product market aimed atlactose intolerance? If not what sort of products do youfeel are lacking and would like to see more of? More variations of cheese 11) Do you use lactose substitutes ie- products from“Lactofree” or lactose free products ie-cutting out all cheeses? I use lactofree milk and cheese and butter and the rest i dont bother with (yoghurts etc)12) If the above question is answered “lactose substitute”what is your favourite lactose free substitute you cook with?Why? Lactofree because its a strong brand and tastes good, better than soya alternatives�FٍM�L

Hope this helps:smile:
1) Female
2) 24
3) 22 after catching a stomach parasite on a river cruise in Egypt
4) No, because it doesn't always make sense. One day I can get away with some butter on my toast, other days I can't.
5) Runny stools, constipation, majorly painful and smelly wind!, real bloatedness, nausea, indigestion/heartburn
6) Yes, because its not worth risking the embarassing effects when a restaurant puts lactose in a seemingly safe food (had chips once, turned out they coated them in lactose before frying for extra flavour. My bowels definitely did not like the extra flavour. But you assume chips are safe!
7) I've never seen it advertised so never thought to ask
8) I love roast dinners
9) Pasta, sauce and veg; jacket potato; soup
10) No, the range isn't great, and the price is even worse. You can now get lacto free shortbread. FIVE squares cost £2.90. They are not even a mouthful each. Yet the equivalent is only a pound, bigger, and has more taste
11) I use lacto-free cheese
12) Cheese, because then I can make myself a pizza, or cheese on toast. having not been intollerant most of my life, cheese is one thing I can't live without.
1. Male
2. 17
3. 7
4. Yes I understand it
5. Yes, Diarrhea
6. Yes
7. No, B because it is not advertised
8. Spahghetti bolognese
9. Tuna , Rice, Chicken
10. Yes, not sure if they are there but Yogurt and cakes
11. Yes
12. Milk?