The Student Room Group

How to stop my hair from going grey??

My hair is going really silver. At the moment its about 30% of my roots - they're so shiny! I'm only 20 years old. My hairdresser was really shocked.

How can I stop all the greying? There has to be a secret formula or something, aaaaaahhhhh.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Your hair are going gray because of your diet. You are eating enough vitamins and minerals needed for healthy hair growth. So eat lots of fruit and veg's
Reply 2
Original post by FlyingNinja1
Your hair are going gray because of your diet. You are eating enough vitamins and minerals needed for healthy hair growth. So eat lots of fruit and veg's

Piss off with your broscience

OP dye is really the only method I know of.

Shut up, commie! Take your homoeopathy bull**** somewhere else!
You probably arent eating the right veg's. Hair greying at 20 isnt genetic soo it has something to do with how you eat. Try eating proteins, vitamin B & E tablets, & iron. Maybe you use too much haircare products?
Original post by Plutonian
Piss off with your broscience

OP dye is really the only method I know of.

Original post by CaptainJosh
Shut up, commie! Take your homoeopathy bull**** somewhere else!

If you dumbasses have better ideas why dont you post it.
Reply 6
If you dumbasses have better ideas why dont you post it.

If you have actual proof for your bull**** why don't you post it?
Reply 7
My brother has had grey hair since birth so awks
Reply 8
You probably arent eating the right veg's. Hair greying at 20 isnt genetic soo it has something to do with how you eat. Try eating proteins, vitamin B & E tablets, & iron. Maybe you use too much haircare products?

I bet you're one of those douchebags who tell people with pancreatic cancer that it was because they "didn't eat enough lentils"?
If your parents went grey in their 20s its almost certainly genetic and not much you can do about it.
I can't think of the guys name... Maybe 'Max'? From the TV show Catfish, he rocks being grey. I would assume that you had dyed your hair that colour if I saw you on the street.
Reply 11
Yeah he has like bits of hair in his volume of hair that are grey.
Dye it all grey
I heard that black seed oil is good for this. Idk if it works tho
Original post by vis break
I heard that black seed oil is good for this. Idk if it works tho

Yh, black seed oil is the cure to everything but it smells so bad :erm:
In that case, it is almost certainly genetic, especially if both of your parents carry said allele. I don't really know how the genetics of greying hair work but I'd assume it's caused at an early age by a recessive allele- you probably have the condition.

Oh that's funny, I didn't realise 17/18 year olds with no experience in genetics and who are looking into going into investing baking were such experts on what causes the greying of hair.

At OP. I'm sorry to say it's probably too late. I do remember you saying you have a problem with your thyroid, which can contribute towards premature greying of the hair. However since you're on medication that should have resolved the problem. That coupled with the fact both your parents greyed in their early to mid twenties this sounds permanent and genetic.

You're going to have to settle for dye, or grow it out if you're confident enough. If you want to save money on hair dye don't buy it at places like tesco. I buy my hair dye for £1.99 a box at home bargains every 3 or 4 weeks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well in that case maybe it is genetic. But I wouldnt stop what you're doing right now incase it isnt
Original post by SophieSmall
Oh that's funny, I didn't realise 17/18 year olds with no experience in genetics and who are looking into going into investing baking were such experts on what causes the greying of hair.

At OP. I'm sorry to say it's probably too late. I do remember you saying you have a problem with your thyroid, which can contribute towards premature greying of the hair. However since you're on medication that should have resolved the problem. That coupled with the fact both your parents greyed in their early to mid twenties this sounds permanent and genetic.

You're going to have to settle for dye, or grow it out if you're confident enough. If you want to save money on hair dye don't buy it at places like tesco. I buy my hair dye for £1.99 a box at home bargains every 3 or 4 weeks.

Oh stop it, you're too kind
Reply 19
Copper is also key. Sometimes, white hairs begin to appear due to the lack of copper in your diet. Copper-rich foods include vegetables, Lima beans, yams, spinach, and most meat. In addition, copper is also present in BlackBerry, pineapple, pomegranate, almonds and pumpkin seeds.

Quick Reply

Latest