The Student Room Group

grades good enough for medicine?

Hi I received my GCSE results and wanted to know if my stats are good enough for medicine, I know it is very early to decide if i could get into a medical school but i just want general advice if these grades will cut it for medical schools.

GCSE: 5A*(bio chem physics maths stats) 3A(history,RS,lit) 1B(eng lang,one mark off an A getting it remarked) 1C(graphics)
AS and A levels: starting bio chem physics and maths in september
Work experience: I already have 3 weeks work experience in endocrinology,pediatrics and a&e.
Voluntary: 5 months at charity shop, 4 months at care home(continuing till next year) and part of school buddy scheme.

I am really worried about the C in graphics, will it hold me back? also if anyone has any advice on how to get good as results please reply.

thanks a lot.
Original post by medicapplicant98
Hi I received my GCSE results and wanted to know if my stats are good enough for medicine, I know it is very early to decide if i could get into a medical school but i just want general advice if these grades will cut it for medical schools.

GCSE: 5A*(bio chem physics maths stats) 3A(history,RS,lit) 1B(eng lang,one mark off an A getting it remarked) 1C(graphics)
Work experience: I already have 3 weeks work experience in endocrinology,pediatrics and a&e.
Voluntary: 5 months at charity shop, 4 months at care home(continuing till next year) and part of school buddy scheme.

I am really worried about the C in graphics, will it hold me back? also if anyone has any advice on how to get good as results please reply.

thanks a lot.

They're great results. :smile: However, medicine is very competitive so you should avoid applying to GCSE-heavy medical schools like Cardiff, QUB and Oxford.

Also, that's a tough subject combination. :wink: Don't get complacent in year 12. I did so and could arguably have got better grades than I did end up getting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2

thanks a lot.

Most universities will look at your AS grades. GCSEs aren't really important when they consider you for Medicine just UoB. Try really hard getting good AS grades. Straight AAA.

Advice: Work hard. Can't stress the importance of working hard but smart. Also, try not to procrastinate. Past papers are key. I hope I made that clear.

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mary562
Most universities will look at your AS grades. GCSEs aren't really important when they consider you for Medicine just UoB. Try really hard getting good AS grades. Straight AAA.

:smile:

A fair few unis look closely at GCSEs: Birmingham, BRISTOL, liverpool, cardiff, KCL, Lancaster, Oxford, QUB, and to a lesser extent St George's

OP your gcse are fine - avoid the gcse heavy unis where they want 7+ A* e.g Birmingham, Cardiff and Oxford

The comment about AS is correct though - try to get as high AS grades as possible
thanks everyone for the great advice :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
They're great results. :smile: However, medicine is very competitive so you should avoid applying to GCSE-heavy medical schools like Cardiff, QUB and Oxford.

Also, that's a tough subject combination. :wink: Don't get complacent in year 12. I did so and could arguably have got better grades than I did end up getting.

thanks i will try really hard and wont get complacent, do you have any other tips for getting good results at as.
thanks i will try really hard and wont get complacent, do you have any other tips for getting good results at as.

The best tip I can give is that just don't treat it like GCSE. Gone are the days when you could revise for four hours the night before the exam and come out with an A*. Start early but take it one bit at a time. Make sure you do some past papers during the year but don't really go into the doing-each-past-paper-since-2000-twice phase until about maybe February/March time. :wink:

And always ask if you don't understand. At GCSE not giving a damn in lessons can work but not at A-level, I'm afraid.
Original post by Hydeman
The best tip I can give is that just don't treat it like GCSE. Gone are the days when you could revise for four hours the night before the exam and come out with an A*. Start early but take it one bit at a time. Make sure you do some past papers during the year but don't really go into the doing-each-past-paper-since-2000-twice phase until about maybe February/March time. :wink:

And always ask if you don't understand. At GCSE not giving a damn in lessons can work but not at A-level, I'm afraid.

thanks so much

thanks a lot.

Don't worry about the C in graphics - it not a 'hard' subject. Medical Schools tend to look at GCSEs as a way of working out the work load that you can cope with and also look at your average gcse grade. But they also have specific requirements for english which will affect you.
Original post by bobbybob12
Don't worry about the C in graphics - it not a 'hard' subject. Medical Schools tend to look at GCSEs as a way of working out the work load that you can cope with and also look at your average gcse grade. But they also have specific requirements for english which will affect you.

are you talking about the minimum requirement of some unis being an a? If i apply to the unis that want eng at a c or b will my stats be competitive enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending