The Student Room Group

Someone help me please?

In my AS level's, I got...
A (Economics)
C (History) 2 UMS of a B
C (PE) 6 UMS of a B
D (Biology) 4 UMS of a C

I ideally want AAB at A level and a minimum of ABB. Is it recommended to retake any exams to get these grades? Or have people gone from C's to A's without retakes?

Also... Has anyone got accepted onto AAB courses with grades of ABB or BBB before?

I want to study Economics at University.

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by sjosborne
A (Economics)
C (History) 2 UMS of a B
C (PE) 6 UMS of a B
D (Biology) 4 UMS of a C

I ideally want AAB at A level and a minimum of ABB. Is it recommended to retake any exams to get these grades? Or have people gone from C's to A's without retakes?

Also... Has anyone got accepted onto AAB courses with grades of ABB or BBB before?

Don't worry i just had a look on what's uni and there are still courses which will accept ACC (or equivalent), but with hard work I think you could get those grades up to B's, but if you want to do a few resits to ensure the grades then that's up to you , maybe as your teacher about it. Here is the link for what's uni - http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/economics-degree-courses-united-kingdom/0/m/united+kingdom/0/25/0/0/eb./r/0/1/0/uc/a_level/0a*-1a-0b-2c-0d-0e/page.html?nd&rf=g
A (Economics)
C (History) 2 UMS of a B
C (PE) 6 UMS of a B
D (Biology) 4 UMS of a C

Hi

I would recommend retaking any exams you feel you could do better in. I say this because even though you were close to B's in History and PE, and close to a C in Biology, it might be worth retaking any exams you feel you could get a higher grade in, in case the A2 exams don't go as well as expected.

If you don't retake anything, it will be more difficult to get A's overall - you will have to do extremely well in the A2 exams.

For example, in my case I got a very low C in Geography at AS, so I retook the exam I did worse in. In the retake I got an A, and in the A2 exams I got an A and a C. If I hadn't redone the AS exam, I don't think I would've got a B overall, which I needed.

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi

I would recommend retaking any exams you feel you could do better in. I say this because even though you were close to B's in History and PE, and close to a C in Biology, it might be worth retaking any exams you feel you could get a higher grade in, in case the A2 exams don't go as well as expected.

If you don't retake anything, it will be more difficult to get A's overall - you will have to do extremely well in the A2 exams.

For example, in my case I got a very low C in Geography at AS, so I retook the exam I did worse in. In the retake I got an A, and in the A2 exams I got an A and a C. If I hadn't redone the AS exam, I don't think I would've got a B overall, which I needed.

I hope this helps :smile:

Hey!

Thanks for replying! I will look to retake some exams then to try and secure some high grades.

Thank you for your help
Reply 4
Original post by Emsta
Don't worry i just had a look on what's uni and there are still courses which will accept ACC (or equivalent), but with hard work I think you could get those grades up to B's, but if you want to do a few resits to ensure the grades then that's up to you , maybe as your teacher about it. Here is the link for what's uni - http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/economics-degree-courses-united-kingdom/0/m/united+kingdom/0/25/0/0/eb./r/0/1/0/uc/a_level/0a*-1a-0b-2c-0d-0e/page.html?nd&rf=g

Okay thanks, I will go check out that website. I think I may retake some anyway, but I might just push for B's and work real hard.

Thanks for helping!
Reply 5
i would sugget retaking a few exams - the ones you can make most improvement in
i retook 2 history exams and both went from a C to an A, if you do retake you need to do a lot of work, i did about 2 hours a week for each retake all year - obviously it depends on the subject but do work throughout the year which will really help you
A (Economics)
C (History) 2 UMS of a B
C (PE) 6 UMS of a B
D (Biology) 4 UMS of a C

Retake is the best option as you would just have to revise for most modules!
P.S Doing Economics at uni this year!
Reply 7
Original post by citydeer
i would sugget retaking a few exams - the ones you can make most improvement in
i retook 2 history exams and both went from a C to an A, if you do retake you need to do a lot of work, i did about 2 hours a week for each retake all year - obviously it depends on the subject but do work throughout the year which will really help you

I think it looks like im gonna re-take some exams, going on what others have said! I didnt really work too hard last year, but i already know i will work much harder this year so hopefully all goes well.

Thank you
Reply 8
Original post by Skill Twix
Retake is the best option as you would just have to revise for most modules!
P.S Doing Economics at uni this year!

Yeah I am going to retake some exams.
Where you studying economics??
Reply 9
Okay thanks, I will go check out that website. I think I may retake some anyway, but I might just push for B's and work real hard.

Thanks for helping!

yeah, good luck :smile:
Yeah I am going to retake some exams.
Where you studying economics??

I had an offer from Warwick but due to mental health problems I am off to Kent
Reply 11
A (Economics)
C (History) 2 UMS of a B
C (PE) 6 UMS of a B
D (Biology) 4 UMS of a C

Hey!

At AS I got:

A - Geography
B - Biology
D - Chemistry
U - Physics

And I got an offer of AAB at a Russell Group University on a fairly competitive course!

In my opinion, I were you, if you are carrying on Biology to A2 I would resit a AS unit to increase your UMS even though you are very close to a C. If your centre allows it I would also say try and redo any practical work in Biology if you need to! :smile:

Regarding your question about going from C to A's, at A2 I got:
A* - Geography
A - Biology
D - Chemistry
So If you want to go jump 2 grades I would recommend definitely re-sitting any AS units you feel you could improve in! Although you are very close to grade boundaries in all your subjects so you may not need to, I suppose it depends on how confident you are at doing well at A2. As I had to retake 3 AS units to get the A2 grades I achieved!

If you want any more help/have any more questions please feel to private message me! :smile:
Reply 12
A (Economics)
C (History) 2 UMS of a B
C (PE) 6 UMS of a B
D (Biology) 4 UMS of a C

Since you're so close to grade boundaries I would deffo say remark if there are any you felt you did better in than you got - I got my paper remarked and went from an E to a C meaning I got a B overall in the subject :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Emsta
yeah, good luck :smile:

Reply 14
Original post by Skill Twix
I had an offer from Warwick but due to mental health problems I am off to Kent

Ah okay. Good Universities! Good luck with your degree
Reply 15
Original post by joe125
Hey!

At AS I got:

A - Geography
B - Biology
D - Chemistry
U - Physics

And I got an offer of AAB at a Russell Group University on a fairly competitive course!

In my opinion, I were you, if you are carrying on Biology to A2 I would resit a AS unit to increase your UMS even though you are very close to a C. If your centre allows it I would also say try and redo any practical work in Biology if you need to! :smile:

Regarding your question about going from C to A's, at A2 I got:
A* - Geography
A - Biology
D - Chemistry
So If you want to go jump 2 grades I would recommend definitely re-sitting any AS units you feel you could improve in! Although you are very close to grade boundaries in all your subjects so you may not need to, I suppose it depends on how confident you are at doing well at A2. As I had to retake 3 AS units to get the A2 grades I achieved!

If you want any more help/have any more questions please feel to private message me! :smile:

Well done on your results firstly!

Thankfully, I do not need to do Biology A2! I transferred college's this summer and wasn't sure if I could do History, but thankfully I can!

Yeah I think I will re-sit my PE to try and get an A (teaching was bad in my previous college) and re-sit one History to get a B.

I might go in for remarks because I do feel my PE and History both could've have been better. I felt confident for B's in both.

Anyway, thanks man!
Reply 16
Original post by sadface
Since you're so close to grade boundaries I would deffo say remark if there are any you felt you did better in than you got - I got my paper remarked and went from an E to a C meaning I got a B overall in the subject :smile:

That's what my History teacher said! so I might remark that. Might remark PE as well because I definitely felt I did better than a C.

Did you go from an E to a C in one remark?!?! If you did, then that shows real bad marking!
Ah okay. Good Universities! Good luck with your degree

Yea thanks!
Reply 18

no prob

Quick Reply

Latest