The Student Room Group

How do I make friends in college? On my own every lunchtime...

So I've had my first few days at college, and still have made no friends. I go to a MASSIVE college (950 people in each year) so even though I talk to people in class, as soon as I go to break/lunch I lose them.

Everyone else is is talking in friendship groups etc and I just sit on my own somewhere with nothing to do, doesn't help that my lunch is an hour long. It's so lonely and making me feel so miserable and isolated. I'm worried I won't ever make friends.

I can make acquaintances, but not friends that I can meet for break and lunch. I feel so crap just sitting on my own for an hour, surrounded by friends laughing and talking.

So how do I make friends, specifically a friendship group? Especially in this huge college? :frown:
Reply 1
If you're talking to people in class, why not ask to join them at break/lunch? Chances are they'll say yes! Often if you're sat alone people will assume that you're busy working, so it's important to make the effort to go and chat to people. In a few weeks you'll look back and wonder why you were ever worried :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by brennanlee
So I've had my first few days at college, and still have made no friends. I go to a MASSIVE college (950 people in each year) so even though I talk to people in class, as soon as I go to break/lunch I lose them.

Everyone else is is talking in friendship groups etc and I just sit on my own somewhere with nothing to do, doesn't help that my lunch is an hour long. It's so lonely and making me feel so miserable and isolated. I'm worried I won't ever make friends.

I can make acquaintances, but not friends that I can meet for break and lunch. I feel so crap just sitting on my own for an hour, surrounded by friends laughing and talking.

So how do I make friends, specifically a friendship group? Especially in this huge college? :frown:

I know how you feel. Have you tried looking into other activities you can do? Maybe your college runs clubs/sports for people during breaks, that may help you meet more people and spend time with them.
Original post by Protista
If you're talking to people in class, why not ask to join them at break/lunch? Chances are they'll say yes! Often if you're sat alone people will assume that you're busy working, so it's important to make the effort to go and chat to people. In a few weeks you'll look back and wonder why you were ever worried :smile:

Agreed.

When I started college 9 years ago (yea I'm old) I literally asked if it was ok to hang with these two kids who knew each other prior to starting. they became my friends for the duration of the course..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brennanlee

Try joining a group/club. There should be tons of different organizations to choose from. Do something you like. For example, go work out in the college gym and you will most likely make friends there. You can even simply go running and possibly make friends. Don't stress over not having anyone to sit with at lunch. School just started. You still have time to make friends. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest