The Student Room Group

Taking C3 Maths In AS?

At our school we had the option to do additional maths FSMQ for "top set", this now means we could do C1 C2 S1 and C3 in Year 12, however our teacher said that taking the C3 exam early can harm your chances to get into some uni's. I'm not particularly sure why but someone in the year above us had this issue when applying for a top university. Does anyone know any specifics on this and if it would harm my chances to get a Physics offer from a good university or if it's different for every uni.
Original post by JN17
At our school we had the option to do additional maths FSMQ for "top set", this now means we could do C1 C2 S1 and C3 in Year 12, however our teacher said that taking the C3 exam early can harm your chances to get into some uni's. I'm not particularly sure why but someone in the year above us had this issue when applying for a top university. Does anyone know any specifics on this and if it would harm my chances to get a Physics offer from a good university or if it's different for every uni.

It's not that uncommon and it won't harm your chances (unless if you did badly in C3). I did C3 and C4 at AS (year 12) and so did everyone in my class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by icecreamcake
It's not that uncommon and it won't harm your chances (unless if you did badly in C3). I did C3 and C4 at AS (year 12) and so did everyone in my class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, doesn't harm your chances if you do well, just need to decide if you can keep up with the work load, if you can go for it!
Reply 3
Well the person our teacher mentioned had done C3 and done quite well and applied to oxford/cambridge (i forget) and the fact he had done C3 early meant he wasn't allowed on the course for some complicated reasons, is this fairly uncommon then?
Hmmm doesn't sound right to me.... We did it early and had no problem (students in My year ended up doing dentistry, biomed etc ....if you are very worried.... I advise either asking your teacher to explain it fully...or go to another teacher and get a second opinion...you can also contact the university and ask, they are very helpful.
Did the student your teacher mentioned retake a year?
Reply 5
Original post by KayPharmacy
Hmmm doesn't sound right to me.... We did it early and had no problem (students in My year ended up doing dentistry, biomed etc ....if you are very worried.... I advise either asking your teacher to explain it fully...or go to another teacher and get a second opinion...you can also contact the university and ask, they are very helpful.
Did the student your teacher mentioned retake a year?

Nah, he left year 13 and was rejected by oxford/cambridge and went to his second choice university. My teacher says it would be on UCAS forms etc if the university wouldnt accept it, however it seems far too specific to be mentioned on there. I suppose either way our class will learn C3 as we learnt all of C1 and C2 last year, its just a case of whether taking the exam early would be beneficial at all, although if we do it and do bad we could then resit it in year 13 alongside C4 and S2.

Quick Reply

Latest