The Student Room Group

Psychology as a degree and what UNI'S??

Hi, I've just turned 17 and recently started A2, after getting my AS results and them being slightly lower than expected due to personal reasons, I'm confused as to what universities to apply for, in terms of the entry requirements and whether I'm aiming too high or low. I got ABCC (in psychology, history, biology and english language.) I dropped biology, which has left ABC, and am hoping to bring my english language up to a B after a resit and I got full UMS in psychology AS. I was looking at Birmingham University, Reading, and Kent so far. Birmingham i feel now is too ambitious, however I managed to get a work placement with them this summer working in a psychiatric hospital so I am hoping that will give me an advantage. But what entry requirements of universities should I apply for? ABB? BBB? Any help would be appreciated, thank u!!!
It's okay to aim for higher grade boundaries. You should have a good mix of high, achievable and low entry requirements. If you really like a university which has slightly higher requirements, you should put it down anyway even if you think the grades are a little out of reach. Obviously, don't fill up your choices with AAA grade entries if you don't think you can get the grades but one university out of five with high requirements should be fine. Pick some that have entry requirements similar to the grades you have now (i.e. BBB) and a few that score below that incase you're exams don't go as planned so you have a safety net. Make sure to check out the uni and the course before applying as well because universities with high requirements are not always the best at that particular course. Well done on your grades and I wish you good luck for the future :smile:

P.S. I'm in the same boat, ABC Psychology, Art, Biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Radioactive_
It's okay to aim for higher grade boundaries. You should have a good mix of high, achievable and low entry requirements. If you really like a university which has slightly higher requirements, you should put it down anyway even if you think the grades are a little out of reach. Obviously, don't fill up your choices with AAA grade entries if you don't think you can get the grades but one university out of five with high requirements should be fine. Pick some that have entry requirements similar to the grades you have now (i.e. BBB) and a few that score below that incase you're exams don't go as planned so you have a safety net. Make sure to check out the uni and the course before applying as well because universities with high requirements are not always the best at that particular course. Well done on your grades and I wish you good luck for the future :smile:

P.S. I'm in the same boat, ABC Psychology, Art, Biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! That really helped and it's good to know that someone else is in the same position as me. I think Birmingham will definitely be one of my higher options, and maybe one other, just to see what they are willing to offer me based on my personal statement. However, as for BBB universities, I struggled to find ones with them grades exactly, however I've heard Reading sometimes lower offers based on the quality of PS's and clearing through Warwick has been lowered to BBB. Good luck for A2, i hope you get into the uni you want!!
Original post by Shani148
Thank you so much! That really helped and it's good to know that someone else is in the same position as me. I think Birmingham will definitely be one of my higher options, and maybe one other, just to see what they are willing to offer me based on my personal statement. However, as for BBB universities, I struggled to find ones with them grades exactly, however I've heard Reading sometimes lower offers based on the quality of PS's and clearing through Warwick has been lowered to BBB. Good luck for A2, i hope you get into the uni you want!!

Thanks so much haha :smile: I don't know if you're looking at London or not but Brunel, Roehampton and Westminster offer psychology for BBB grades and Brunel and Westminster also offer optional placement years as a bonus. Hoping to go to Brunel (realistically) with either Reading or Surrey as firm higher choices. I've been to the open day already and the Brunel is fantastic. The only thing is they need 2 sciences for entry but I think history counts as one on their website if you're interested :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Radioactive_
Thanks so much haha :smile: I don't know if you're looking at London or not but Brunel, Roehampton and Westminster offer psychology for BBB grades and Brunel and Westminster also offer optional placement years as a bonus. Hoping to go to Brunel (realistically) with either Reading or Surrey as firm higher choices. I've been to the open day already and the Brunel is fantastic. The only thing is they need 2 sciences for entry but I think history counts as one on their website if you're interested :biggrin:

Ahh I'm choosing Reading as an option too, they only as for ABB if you have a B in EPQ (which I take) or an AS. I'll definitely look into Brunel actually, I would love to move to London for university, and a year placement seems so appealing! I really want the experience for a higher chance of a job! Thank you!!
Ahh I'm choosing Reading as an option too, they only as for ABB if you have a B in EPQ (which I take) or an AS. I'll definitely look into Brunel actually, I would love to move to London for university, and a year placement seems so appealing! I really want the experience for a higher chance of a job! Thank you!!

Haha no problem, glad I could help :smile:
Hi, I've just turned 17 and recently started A2, after getting my AS results and them being slightly lower than expected due to personal reasons, I'm confused as to what universities to apply for, in terms of the entry requirements and whether I'm aiming too high or low. I got ABCC (in psychology, history, biology and english language.) I dropped biology, which has left ABC, and am hoping to bring my english language up to a B after a resit and I got full UMS in psychology AS. I was looking at Birmingham University, Reading, and Kent so far. Birmingham i feel now is too ambitious, however I managed to get a work placement with them this summer working in a psychiatric hospital so I am hoping that will give me an advantage. But what entry requirements of universities should I apply for? ABB? BBB? Any help would be appreciated, thank u!!!

Are you from Birmingham? If you are, have a look at the A2B scheme that they offer, if you meet the requirements for the A2B scheme, they reduce the entry requirements for you, providing you complete the scheme.
Reply 7
Original post by england100
Are you from Birmingham? If you are, have a look at the A2B scheme that they offer, if you meet the requirements for the A2B scheme, they reduce the entry requirements for you, providing you complete the scheme.

I just looked at this today, and it would have been so helpful, but I live in Newcastle :frown: so I can't apply! However, Birmingham are running their unconditional offer scheme this year too, so fingers crossed my personal statement will be considered as good!!
I just looked at this today, and it would have been so helpful, but I live in Newcastle :frown: so I can't apply! However, Birmingham are running their unconditional offer scheme this year too, so fingers crossed my personal statement will be considered as good!!

I wish you the best, just focus on your A2 and try to get good A2 grades :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest