The Student Room Group

Girl sent home from school due to hair style?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChickenMadness
eh not really. 'cool' can be applied to anything someone thinks is appealing. It's informal language. An artist coming up with some original content for a movie or game won't try to be a conformist but will still think the design is cool. Otherwise he wouldn't have designed it.

Have a look at a dictionary. Here is the Google one

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cool+meaning

The girl who thinks particular clothing or a hair style looks cool almost certainly is using cool in the first sense under usage 3. The games designer is probably using the second sense under usage 3. Use in the first sense is conformity to an existing fashion. You cannot elide different meanings and treat them as the same thing.

Teens tend to be derivative regarding personal image and those who are not tend to be rebellious rather than innovative. Very few innovations in personal style derive from teens.
To all the people saying 'if you don't like the rules go to another school': 1. Often there is only one school a child can go to due to distance, popularity of other schools etc. 2. The VAST majority of schools have controlling, oppressive uniform policies that have not been chosen by ANY student. Saying 'go somewhere else' when she wouldn't have the freedom to express herself anywhere else is ridiculous.

Also, school is NOT a work place. It is NOT a job. If you're going to expect children to act like employees you should pay them. Lots of people advocate the idea of 'let children be children' when it comes to homework and exams but not when it comes to being individuals. It is important (especially at that age) to discover who you are. Some people want to stand out, some people want to hide away but we should be encouraging every child (every human) to celebrate their uniqueness, to feel comfortable in their skin. Some many people look in the mirror and hate what they see, if this hairstyle makes this girl feel good about her appearance right now (whether anyone else likes it or she thinks it was a good decision in 5 years time) then that is a massive positive for her.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
To all the people saying 'if you don't like the rules go to another school': 1. Often there is only one school a child can go to due to distance, popularity of other schools etc. 2. The VAST majority of schools have controlling, oppressive uniform policies that have not been chosen by ANY student. Saying 'go somewhere else' when she wouldn't have the freedom to express herself anywhere else is ridiculous.

Also, school is NOT a work place. It is NOT a job. If you're going to expect children to act like employees you should pay them. Lots of people advocate the idea of 'let children be children' when it comes to homework and exams but not when it comes to being individuals. It is important (especially at that age) to discover who you are. Some people want to stand out, some people want to hide away but we should be encouraging every child (every human) to celebrate their uniqueness, to feel comfortable in their skin. Some many people look in the mirror and hate what they see, if this hairstyle makes this girl feel good about her appearance right now (whether anyone else likes it or she thinks it was a good decision in 5 years time) then that is a massive positive for her.

Agreed. And stuff like this:

Original post by tazarooni89
It's their school, they can set whatever dress code they like. If you don't want to abide by it then don't go to that school, simple :s-smilie:I think the school's decision makes sense, personally. A school isn't there to just make kids get good exam results, but to educate them in pretty much all aspects of life, including how to function as part of a community and in the real world. The school can't set a precedent that would creates an environment in which such behaviour is culturally acceptable, because that's just not how it is in reality. Pupils who grow up believing it is perfectly normal and acceptable to modify their appearance in whatever strange and outlandish way they like will tend not to be the ones who are most successful in finding a respectable place for themselves in society.

is so depressing. As if in the "adult world" you can't possibly have a respectable place in society while also having a kind of strange hairstyle :rolleyes:

Honestly **** like that feels like something out of a george orwell novel. "Expressing yourself through personal style and individual choices must not be culturally acceptable!!"

It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by e aí rapaz
Agreed. And stuff like this:

is so depressing. As if in the "adult world" you can't possibly have a respectable place in society while also having a kind of strange hairstyle :rolleyes:

Honestly **** like that feels like something out of a george orwell novel. "Expressing yourself through personal style and individual choices must not be culturally acceptable!!"

It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.

This. If you think someone can't do their job with an 'unusual hairstyle', lots of piercings (unless it's a health and safety concern) or (non-offensive) tattoos then you are prejudiced.
"To all the people saying 'if you don't like the rules go to another school': 1. Often there is only one school a child can go to due to distance, popularity of other schools etc. "

If you've one school in the area, then all the more reason to follow the rules. Here's a useful life tip - you don't always get to choose the rules! You don't have to like this, but it's the way it is. (if you want an education, if you want to keep a job and so on - many things in life have rules, don't like it? Guess what - Nobody does, now get on with it).

I'm a bit sorry to say it comes across both selfish and childish for someone to say 'theres only one place of education in the area, you must accomodate me!' - they aren't breaching any rights by not doing so. You make yourself suitable to be educated if you want it. It's available for those that want it.

"2. The VAST majority of schools have controlling, oppressive uniform policies that have not been chosen by ANY student. Saying 'go somewhere else' when she wouldn't have the freedom to express herself anywhere else is ridiculous."

Telling her to go somewhere else isn't breaching her freedom to express herself - nobody has said she can't. They are just saying she can't do that at the school. It's an extreme haircut, and completely reasonable request. The school is trying to make itself a quality place of education and it wants to maintain an image, if you don't respect that, you don't respect the school.

I know of no school that operates an oppressive uniform policy - I know of no school where you can't choose your own hairstyle as long as it's not obscenely over the top. Schools have to maintain discipline, but they also have to maintain an air of equality between students, and so by having rules it helps keep everyone on the same wavelength. If you won't work with this then you're working against the staff and fellow students.

"Also, school is NOT a work place. It is NOT a job. If you're going to expect children to act like employees you should pay them."

This is a bit silly - a school isn't a job, it's not a workplace. It's a place of education, where you go to learn life skills and subject skills. Part of the objective of a school is to prepare you for the workplace. If you can't abide by a simple uniform policy, there's a good chance things will get worse after school, so there's point complaining yet!

Life isn't fair, and sometimes you have to obey rules when you're in an establishment. This won't change, so better learn to work with it. You don't have to like it, as I get the impression you don't - but it isn't going to change.

" Lots of people advocate the idea of 'let children be children' when it comes to homework and exams but not when it comes to being individuals. It is important (especially at that age) to discover who you are"

Do it outside school? And do it within the rules otherwise. Not difficult.

It's also important to be guided when discovering who you are (as with other life skills) rather than left to it, and the school is doing this. And the mother and child are rejecting it.

We can argue all day that she has the freedom to express herself. There's no point doing this as I totally agree that she does, and can wear the haircut all day. Nobody is going to physically stop her and nobody should.

However the school has rules, and therefore using her freedom to this extent will stop her from being admitted to the school. This also needs to be respected.

It also has to be respected that the childs right to an education is not being breached by being asked to change your haircut to something sensible, as the education is available and offered subject to following the necessary rules.

Whether this means she uses the right to an education is down to how the parent and child decides to use their freedoms. This is not an unusual situation, a lot of things in life are affected by your individual choices.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 85
Want to go on holiday in term time and avoid the fines? Get a silly haircut.
Original post by nulli tertius
Have a look at a dictionary. Here is the Google one

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cool+meaning

The girl who thinks particular clothing or a hair style looks cool almost certainly is using cool in the first sense under usage 3. The games designer is probably using the second sense under usage 3. Use in the first sense is conformity to an existing fashion. You cannot elide different meanings and treat them as the same thing.

Teens tend to be derivative regarding personal image and those who are not tend to be rebellious rather than innovative. Very few innovations in personal style derive from teens.

That definition isn't the same as the colloquial way the word is used. I doubt you'l find badass in the oxford dictionary. So it will end up being changed at some point in the future. Just like how no one means happy when they say 'gay' anymore. But ye just change the word to 'good'. She thought she looked 'good'. So it's easier to understand lol.

Well when I was a teenager I always dressed differently and I thought I looked cool/good/whatever lmao. So I guess I'm special. Actually I remember everyone dressing the way they did for the same reasons. Even the emos lol. Some of the boys started dressing all emo so that they could get laid with the emo girls. Which I thought was pretty sad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iAmanze
WTF??...

*Looks at her mum*

No wonder.

Chavs, dem.

Original post by thecatwithnohat
Not me, I'm in sixth form :innocent:. But the girls in the lower years i.e. year 11 and below have to wear school uniform and if you don't roll the skirt up, you literally look like a nun because the skirt is so long :zomg:

A nun, I always said this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 88
If you make yourself look like an idiot, then expect to be treated like an idiot.

Her mother should be fined for wasting everyone's time, failing to guide her daughter into making good decisions and for having her family look like something out of The Scheme.
Original post by elliemayxo
Why would her mother even allow her to do that, if I came home like that one day then my mum would go mental.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't come home like that.
Original post by ChickenMadness
That definition isn't the same as the colloquial way the word is used.

Of course Badass is in the Oxford dictionary (although I did not use the Oxford dictionary for "cool"). Here is a blog posting about it

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/09/which-word-is-older-3/
She looks like a SJW. Now all she needs to do is have a badly organised blog with 15 different words signifying what her "gender" is and post tweets to the effect of "white cis men are evil!"
All this time I thought the person in the picture was a boy
She will struggle to find a job with that haircut as well.
Original post by nulli tertius
Of course Badass is in the Oxford dictionary (although I did not use the Oxford dictionary for "cool":wink:. Here is a blog posting about it

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/09/which-word-is-older-3/

honestly not sure what you're arguing about haha. Badass = cool = epic = sick = savage = awesome = well-sick-innit-bruv = gnarly = wow = wunderbrah = swanky = funky. They're just positive adjectives people say when they like something lol.

Language changes all the time.
Original post by Perplexing Pleb
She will struggle to find a job with that haircut as well.

She is 13. She'd struggle to find any job.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
She is 13. She'd struggle to find any job.

Forgive me I meant later in life or in her case 16 most likely
Original post by Perplexing Pleb
Forgive me I meant later in life or in her case 16 most likely

Everyone now has to stay in education or training until their 18th birthday. I don't see why a job she may have in over 4 years time stops her having a certain hairstyle now.
The 'strict school uniform' photo story is becoming as much of a seasonal cliche as the old 'jumping for joy' on exam results day.

here's a girl sent home for wearing tight trousers http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3227485/Mother-blasts-school-daughter-15-sent-home-slightly-larger-legs-trousers-tight-just-weeks-headmistress-banned-skirts.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending