The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

Should I do 5 A-Levels to increase my chances of getting into Oxbridge?
Reply 1
Original post by Joey98
Should I do 5 A-Levels to increase my chances of getting into Oxbridge?

Oxbridge only ask for 3 a levels Because 4 is too stressful
If u really want to then you could do 4 a levels if you think you can handle the pressure

But I would suggest doing 3 a levels and 1 AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lmfao, i dont think it matters. If you want do 4 AS and carry on w those or drop 1 and do 3 A levels but 5 isn't really needed. Better to focus on less and get the best grades on those rather than do 5 and get okay grades. A*A*A is better than AABBB or the like. Universities only look at your top 3 best subjects/results.
Definitely not, three good a levels look better than 5 not so good ones.
Doing more A levels than expected does not increase your chances at Oxbridge. You may do 7 A levels and still be rejected. You need 3 A levels, good predicted grades, good personal statement etc and to impress at interview. If you can handle it and would enjoy it, then by all means, take 5 but it puts you in no better position than students who excel in each area and have only done 3 a levels. Of course it looks great to get 5A*s, but in the end, you may feel too pressurised by the workload and end up getting less than that. Best to stick to 3 and do well in all 3 than to do average in 5 subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest