The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ashnard
Probably the most depressing thing you will ever see in tennis if you don't happen to come from the Balkans.

At least in the past two Wimbledon finals you could say that the outright best player won but today it just wasn't like that. Djokovic defended well and was more solid on break points. That is all. The match was won and lost in the third set and Federer blew his chances big time. A 4/23 break point conversion rate is just a disgusting statistic.

Some of his misses on the big points just had to be seen to be believed they were that bad. The Djokovic that turned up today was beatable but Federer was not strong enough mentally.

Yes probably Djokovic's worst finals performance for a slam win. He was there for the taking, far more than the past two W finals. How he lost that third set baffles me - halfway through it seemed like Novak had given up that set! :facepalm2:

Not completely sure but I think Novak only won 2 total points more in the whole match... and it was still a 4 set win. If anything ever pointed to the need to be clutch in big moments...
Original post by Xotol
Yes probably Djokovic's worst finals performance for a slam win. He was there for the taking, far more than the past two W finals. How he lost that third set baffles me - halfway through it seemed like Novak had given up that set! :facepalm2:

Not completely sure but I think Novak only won 2 total points more in the whole match... and it was still a 4 set win. If anything ever pointed to the need to be clutch in big moments...

Yeah that's right. Djokovic led by 147 - 145 points. He wasn't spectacular but did what he needed to -- keep the ball in play, make Federer play one more shot, and then wait for the error. Such a super-depressing style of play but I suppose the manner of his victory doesn't mean much to him.

What bothers me more than anything here and at Wimbledon is that Federer was playing at a higher level throughout the tournament and yet still failed to win the trophy. The difference today -- and what makes this worse -- was that Federer's level today was good enough to beat this Djokovic, but on the big points he was not strong enough mentally.

Still, I agree with you about the crowd. Djokovic handled the situation well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Shocking stat for me is Federer was 1/11 on break points on Djokovic's SECOND SERVE! :O
(edited 8 years ago)
Great win for Novak though, so tough mentally in what must have felt like a cesspit of Federer support. 10 slams now, two triple slam seasons, undoubtedly one of the greatest of all time!
Oh well, good fight once again but Djokovic held firm to win his 3rd Slam of the year! Not the highest quality match from either player. Perhaps they were both affected by the crowd - Fed as usual having a truckload of opportunities but not being able to convert. Still great to even see him competing in Slam finals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done, Novak.
Can't believe Federer didn't convert more break points.
Such a good effort from Federer, but I think the over-aggressive style may have cost him slightly with Novak's incredible defence. Hopefully Roger will get that next Grand Slam soon! Credit to Novak though, outstanding athleticism and the heart of a lion! Literally the whole crowd was rooting for Roger!
Reply 4368
Pretty much all of Fed's UEs came from him trying to wrap up points as quickly as he could, because Djokovic would always win in extended rallies.

But 4 for 23 in break points is just shockingly bad. SO. MANY. CHANCES.
Original post by Ashnard
Yeah that's right. Djokovic led by 147 - 145 points. He wasn't spectacular but did what he needed to -- keep the ball in play, make Federer play one more shot, and then wait for the error. Such a super-depressing style of play but I suppose the manner of his victory doesn't mean much to him.

What bothers me more than anything here and at Wimbledon is that Federer was playing at a higher level throughout the tournament and yet still failed to win the trophy. The difference today -- and what makes this worse -- was that Federer's level today was good enough to beat this Djokovic, but on the big points he was not strong enough mentally.

Still, I agree with you about the crowd. Djokovic handled the situation well.

I only saw the first set. And it was clear early on that Djokovic just hits the ball harder.
It's clear that Federer can beat Djokovic if he cuts out the ridiculous number of unforced errors and takes more break point opportunities. Federer should have easily taken that match to five sets.

Djokovic is essentially doing what Nadal did so successfully against Federer - grinding him down at the baseline, hitting ball after ball to his backhand waiting for Federer to make the unforced error. It's an extremely effective tactic which Federer seems unable to counter.
Original post by snowman77
It's clear that Federer can beat Djokovic if he cuts out the ridiculous number of unforced errors and takes more break point opportunities. Federer should have easily taken that match to five sets.

Djokovic is essentially doing what Nadal did so successfully against Federer - grinding him down at the baseline, hitting ball after ball to his backhand waiting for Federer to make the unforced error. It's an extremely effective tactic which Federer seems unable to counter.

Yeah yeah same old story.
Federer easily beats a rank 46---> That's the prime fed, way to go Roger.
Federer loses against Djokovic -----> meh, would've won easily if he was at his best like when he was playing against the rank 46
I can't believe that Federer is still competitive at the age of 34.
Original post by The_K1NG
Let me guess you are a Nadal fan.

I don't feel the need to worship anyone. I just hate how everything in tennis is seen through a Federer lense, so it's not about how Djokovic won but about how Federer lost. People are bleating on about how Federer would have won if he played at his best when in recent years he's consistently been beaten by the best players over 5 sets. There have been some great players over the last few years but they haven't got the recognition they deserve because fans and the media are too busy crying about Federer.
Original post by mrno1324
Yeah yeah same old story.
Federer easily beats a rank 46---> That's the prime fed, way to go Roger.
Federer loses against Djokovic -----> meh, would've won easily if he was at his best like when he was playing against the rank 46
I'm not saying he would have won easily. But Djokovic's return game is far superior to any of Federer's previous opponents. All Djokovic had to do was return Federer's serve with reasonable consistency and, from then on, it was only a matter of time before Federer made the unforced error in the ensuing rally. 54 unforced errors in a 4 set match is poor.

Whilst Djokovic was returning serve well and taking break points, Federer should have been taking the ample opportunities he had to break Djokovic's serve. But he didn't. 4/23 break points converted is frankly diabolical. Federer lost that final as much as Djokovic won it. And for the record, I'm not a Federer fan, I'm more of a Djokovic fan if anything.
I'm just saying Djokovic doesn't make it easy to take break points. He is #1 after all. Maybe Fed couldn't cash in BPs because Novak was just too good, not for lack of trying.
Original post by Louis.
I don't feel the need to worship anyone. I just hate how everything in tennis is seen through a Federer lense, so it's not about how Djokovic won but about how Federer lost. People are bleating on about how Federer would have won if he played at his best when in recent years he's consistently been beaten by the best players over 5 sets. There have been some great players over the last few years but they haven't got the recognition they deserve because fans and the media are too busy crying about Federer.

Federer is by far the most popular player to play tennis. Deal with it.

Too bad it didn't help him win yesterday :smile:
Also the guy is completely right. Every time Fed wins it's because he's the supreme master and when he loses it's because he had a bad day, not because his opponent was better. Being popular doesn't justify that.
(edited 8 years ago)

Most popular =/= Only
Original post by Louis.

You have a point. Djokovic will get the recognition he deserves eventually. People tend to realise how great someone is/was when they go through a really lean patch, so when perhaps his support will increase when he starts to decline.
It's difficult for most players now because they all emerged after two of the greatest players ever (who have shared most of the spotlight for the last 10 years).

Quick Reply

Latest