The Student Room Group

A-level advice Urgent!!!

Basically I didn't get the grades required to study economics and maths a levels (Edexcel exam board) at school so I decided to self study them I already understand that economics has been reformed and that maths is being reformed next year so my question is how are the economics exams going to work for example are there going to be AS exams still ? All the details would be good ,THANKS
Anyone in this type of situation please reply,thanks again.
Original post by Khalid.X
Basically I didn't get the grades required to study economics and maths a levels (Edexcel exam board) at school so I decided to self study them I already understand that economics has been reformed and that maths is being reformed next year so my question is how are the economics exams going to work for example are there going to be AS exams still ? All the details would be good ,THANKS

Maths is not being changed until 2017 so AS maths works as now and contributes to your A level grade.

New AS qualfications don;t contribute to your A level grade.

I think two self-study A levels on top of your school subjects is too much - you don't need Economics A level to study it at uni ...
Original post by Muttley79
Maths is not being changed until 2017 so AS maths works as now and contributes to your A level grade.

New AS qualfications don;t contribute to your A level grade.

I think two self-study A levels on top of your school subjects is too much - you don't need Economics A level to study it at uni ...

I just do BTEC ICT
I just do BTEC ICT

It's risky - what grade did you get in Maths?
Original post by Muttley79
It's risky - what grade did you get in Maths?

B ,additionally I wanted to ask are there not any AS resits for old subjects like economics ,physics etc that i could just pay for to sit the exam
B ,additionally I wanted to ask are there not any AS resits for old subjects like economics ,physics etc that i could just pay for to sit the exam

Unless the grade B was close to a grade A I think you might struggle with A level maths.

Yes there is one last 'old' AS for Economics/Physics next summer. There are AS exams in the new specs, it's just they are stand alone qualifications and don't count towards your A level grade.

What support will you get for self-study? It's not easy ...

In my school, people who didn't get at least an A in GCSE maths weren't even allowed to do maths A-level, and for good reason - a lot of people who did get an A dropped out halfway through the year anyway when they failed to get more than 40 percent in the mock exams after two attempts.

A-level maths is very different to GCSE maths; at GCSE, you can get 2-3 marks just for factorising a quadratic. There's none of that at A-level beyond C1.

Quick Reply

Latest