The Student Room Group

You don't need to go to University to be successful

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Underscore__
Please show me somewhere I've said that having a degree isn't helpful when starting a business. I'm not disputing it's helpful, I'm saying it's not essential.

You wrote way more than you needed to; the fact that almost one in three business owners in the US don't have college degrees supports my point that you can make a success of yourself without a degree and without being one of the 0.0001% that make it in pro sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And my point in this thread is that of course you don't have to, it's just that if you're the average person, having a degree is better than not having one, and your piece of information supported my argument.

It's meaningless to argue that you don't have to have a degree when even till now you're still using examples which show that the vast majority of those people do have a degree. To use something like that is not different to saying you only really need to be alive.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
And my point in this thread is that of course you don't have to, it's just that if you're the average person, having a degree is better than not having one, and your piece of information supported my argument.

It's meaningless to argue that you don't have to have a degree when even till now you're still using examples which show that the vast majority of those people do have a degree. To use something like that is not different to saying you only really need to be alive.

Of course you don't need to have a degree, as I said. I pointed out initially that pointing to examples of musicians brings up a very different set of people. When you talk about making good money without a degree business is generally the way to go because ordinary people can do it; my source backed up that a lot of business owners don't have a university education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Of course you don't need to have a degree, as I said. I pointed out initially that pointing to examples of musicians brings up a very different set of people. When you talk about making good money without a degree business is generally the way to go because ordinary people can do it; my source backed up that a lot of business owners don't have a university education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your source backed up that most business owners do have a university education. To the average person, it'd still be better to have a degree than not.

If you want to use 'you can just become a business owner and earn more money than a graduate does', then 'business owners' as a category will need to be with people who typically not have a degree. Otherwise, it's no different to saying 'you can just go and become a superstar' or 'you can just do nothing and win the lottery'.
Reply 63
Hold on a minute, guys
First, let me ask you: "What is your definition of success ?"
Again "What is YOUR definition of success ?"

For me, the definition is very simple. "Success is you can do what you want to".
Do you think having 1 million means success ? No, you father can give you 1 million (if he has it)

So next, "What do you want to do ?"
If you know what you want to do and you get it done, so you are successful.

But the problem is not many people know what they really want to do.
Don't you believe me ? If not, ask yourself "What the heck I wanna do in life ?"
Do you have the answer now ? I bet not many of you have.

The university just give us the basic foundation and technique to go into life. What you do with your knowledge is your choice. If you get good salary but you always feel a hollow inside, lonely...etc... It is not success. If you hate your job and you still have to do it, wow, it means you are not successful.

In summary, all I want to say is What you want to do, get it done. It is your success.

But what the heck you want to do ?
:biggrin:
Original post by zigglr
Teenagers have grown up being taught that they have to go to University to be successful., but there are many people as young as 18 who didn't go to university, and are multi - becoming millionaires by their own hard work. A few examples:

Jack Cator, created HideMyAss and sold it for £40 million
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32702501

Nick D'Aloisio created the Summly app, sold it to Yahoo for £30 million
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21934188

Chance Morris (Twitch streamer), makes about $350k a year

The many, many young Youtube content creators (Tom Syndicate, Harry Shaw etc.)

Of course, if you go to a good Uni you may end up becoming a high up Lawyer / investment banker / doctor. But you most likely won't become a millionaire until you're at least 30. These people are making millions and are as young as 18 years old. To be as successful as these people you obviously need to have a lot of luck or intelligence, but it just shows that you don't need to have a degree to achieve great success, which is what society is teaching young people. Education is important, but I think we should also teach children about innovation and programming

This is like saying "look, these few people jumped off from a 3rd floor and did not get any body part broken, therefore, everyone will be fine if they jump off a third floor". You can use the examples of 3 middle-class kids to extrapolate to a population of low, middle and upper class kids.

P.S. You should also notice that all your examples are boys.
I dropped out of academia earlier this year and don't plan on going back. What irks me about this website is that everyone seems to measure success in money and accolades. My success is simply to set up house with the one I love.
Original post by David__D
Hold on a minute, guys
First, let me ask you: "What is your definition of success ?"
Again "What is YOUR definition of success ?"

For me, the definition is very simple. "Success is you can do what you want to".
Do you think having 1 million means success ? No, you father can give you 1 million (if he has it)

So next, "What do you want to do ?"
If you know what you want to do and you get it done, so you are successful.

But the problem is not many people know what they really want to do.
Don't you believe me ? If not, ask yourself "What the heck I wanna do in life ?"
Do you have the answer now ? I bet not many of you have.

The university just give us the basic foundation and technique to go into life. What you do with your knowledge is your choice. If you get good salary but you always feel a hollow inside, lonely...etc... It is not success. If you hate your job and you still have to do it, wow, it means you are not successful.

In summary, all I want to say is What you want to do, get it done. It is your success.

But what the heck you want to do ?
:biggrin:

Nice speech. And you are right: success was and is always a matter of own view. I could not have write that any better. That is why thumbs up! :yy:
Reply 67
Original post by snowman77
Your examples are awful. The vast majority of people who start businesses fail. Yes there will always be a few exceptions, namely the examples you give. This is also the case in areas like sport, music, TV, film etc. There are few at the top who make millions, but the vast majority earn peanuts or fail completely. You just hear about the few extremely successful people, but no one ever hears about the countless numbers who try and fail. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

University is the safest, most secure way to get a decent living.

You can be successful starting a business, especially in the online world, all you need is intelligence, innovation and a lot of hard work. The first guy worked on his product for 5 years until it was really successful. University will almost always get you a mediocre salary unless you do a competitive degree at a competitive university. Also it depends on what you see as successful. For me, success is being in full control of your own career and earning over £200k a year.

Listen to what the first example said in this interview. He said that if his business didn't work out the first time, he would keep trying new things until something worked. That is the determination needed that most people don't have, and instead just accept following the crowd by going to university. This is why innovation needs to be encouraged more in schools, rather than just following a strict cirriculum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y9a2lLI6PY
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zigglr
You can be successful starting a business, especially in the online world, all you need is intelligence, innovation and a lot of hard work. The first guy worked on his product for 5 years until it was really successful. University will almost always get you a mediocre salary unless you do a competitive degree at a competitive university. Also it depends on what you see as successful. For me, success is being in full control of your own career and earning over £200k a year.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to leave the crowd behind, follow your own path, etc. etc. If you have an entrepreneurial mindset, go for it. But what's the £200k income threshold all about? It seems...arbitrary. If you had a business that yielded you £150k income a year, you'd feel like a failure?
Reply 69
Original post by Juichiro

P.S. You should also notice that all your examples are boys.

That's probably because most CEOs / successful entrepenuers are male, and almost 100% of the young millionare entrepenuers are male.. Haven't heard of a girl one yet
[QUOTE=driftawaay;59439785]What a dumb thread.

Reality check: You do need to go to Uni if you don't want to work at McDonalds in today's world, since you and 99.9% of people are not capable of becoming Richard Branson.

Quite clearly that's wrong. There are plenty of plumbers, electricians, carpenters, joiners, pipe fitters, steel erectors, welders, crane operators, train drivers, machinists, toolmakers, commercial divers, merchant seamen etc that makes as much if not more than the average graduate. Some significantly more.

The 'it's uni or McDonald's' attitude is precisely why the average skilled worker can out earn university graduates. Supply and demand, lots of graduates and not many tradesmen.
[QUOTE=jimmy_looks_2ice;59446239]I wouldn't in any way dispute anything you've said. I think you make a sound argument about the forces of supply and demand in the labour marketplace and how that affects one's earning potential. Furthermore, well done for finding a lucrative niche for yourself. However, I wouldn't enjoy being a welder, so I won't be following in your footsteps, no matter how much money I'll be missing out on!

That's fair enough, I love what I do for a living but I couldn't do it for just the money it's too brutal some days. The money's just a bonus as a natural born pyromaniac im in it for the blow torches.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending