The Student Room Group

Looking for application advice after past failed attempts at university

I am a mature student (28 years old) studying for an Access to HE Diploma, and am in a somewhat unusual situation, so would sincerely appreciate any advice.

For the first 27 years of my life, I was living with an undiagnosed mental health issue called 'Dissociative Identity Disorder' (DID). In short, instead of being a person with 1 coherent self, I am made up of multiple distinct identities, which are the parts of what should have been that one/whole self. This has a variety of impacts on my life, but the most destructive of these has been the dissociative amnesia, which has caused me to lose weeks, months, even years at a time as these different parts (who were unaware of each other) fought to maintain control. As a result, my life has been really quite chaotic and characterised by financial instability, homelessness, extremely poor mental health, and three unsuccessful attempts at university (1 actual failure, 2 withdrawals).

I am not ashamed of these failures as I now recognise that it was impossible for me to complete any kind of higher education due to these long episodes of dissociative amnesia, and it is frankly a miracle that I was able to complete GCSEs and A Levels at all. However, I am afraid that universities will likely look down at these three failed attempts at completing a degree and write me off completely - taken at surface value, I understand that I don't come across as an ideal candidate.

Since the psychiatric evaluation and subsequent diagnosis, I have been in intensive therapy, and have now successfully held down a job and volunteer work for nearly a year. I no longer experience dissociative amnesia and am finally in good, stable mental and physical health. I am progressing well with the Access Course, and I feel confident that I am ready and able to complete a degree.

I would really appreciate any advice on how to mitigate the impact these previous attempts might have on my application, and any action(s) I could take to prove that I am now able to successfully complete a degree. Would it be worth pre-emptively emailing my university choices and explaining the situation?
Original post by LuckyPeaceful
I am a mature student (28 years old) studying for an Access to HE Diploma, and am in a somewhat unusual situation, so would sincerely appreciate any advice.

For the first 27 years of my life, I was living with an undiagnosed mental health issue called 'Dissociative Identity Disorder' (DID). In short, instead of being a person with 1 coherent self, I am made up of multiple distinct identities, which are the parts of what should have been that one/whole self. This has a variety of impacts on my life, but the most destructive of these has been the dissociative amnesia, which has caused me to lose weeks, months, even years at a time as these different parts (who were unaware of each other) fought to maintain control. As a result, my life has been really quite chaotic and characterised by financial instability, homelessness, extremely poor mental health, and three unsuccessful attempts at university (1 actual failure, 2 withdrawals).

I am not ashamed of these failures as I now recognise that it was impossible for me to complete any kind of higher education due to these long episodes of dissociative amnesia, and it is frankly a miracle that I was able to complete GCSEs and A Levels at all. However, I am afraid that universities will likely look down at these three failed attempts at completing a degree and write me off completely - taken at surface value, I understand that I don't come across as an ideal candidate.

Since the psychiatric evaluation and subsequent diagnosis, I have been in intensive therapy, and have now successfully held down a job and volunteer work for nearly a year. I no longer experience dissociative amnesia and am finally in good, stable mental and physical health. I am progressing well with the Access Course, and I feel confident that I am ready and able to complete a degree.

I would really appreciate any advice on how to mitigate the impact these previous attempts might have on my application, and any action(s) I could take to prove that I am now able to successfully complete a degree. Would it be worth pre-emptively emailing my university choices and explaining the situation?

You don't have to explain anything except "I had a very serious, undiagnosed health condition. Fortunately it was diagnosed and has been successfully treated".

Funding will be your issue - you will need to go into more detail with SFE to get funding.
I would just have your referee address your health in the relevant section of the reference. There's no need to cover this in your PS unless it's directly related to your suitability or motivation for the subject you're applying for, (e.g. some applicants are motivated towards bio/med programmes because of a health concern).

As you're a mature student with some current study underway, unis won't typically be that bothered unless you don't meet GCSE requirements, and even then with your mitigating circumstances, current study and ref's explanation, there may well be some leeway.
Reply 3

First may I say I am really delighted to read how you have overcome your difficulties - well done!

Your main challenge may well be SFE and applying for CPR to cover previous courses - collect any evidence from doctors etc.

I wish you every success! :smile:

Firstly, congratulations on the progress you've made in overcoming the challenges you faced and on your current success in therapy, work, and your Access to HE Diploma. Your determination is commendable.
[start]In your situation, addressing your past experiences and demonstrating how you've overcome them is crucial in your application. Here are some steps you might consider:[/start]

Personal Statement:

Use your personal statement to tell your story. Explain your past challenges, the diagnosis of Dissociative Identity Disorder, and the impact it had on your previous attempts at university. Emphasize the positive changes, progress in therapy, and the stability you've achieved since then.

Reference Letters:

Choose referees who can speak to your current abilities and achievements. If possible, include references from your therapy professionals who can attest to your progress and readiness for higher education.

Disability Services:

Contact the disability or support services at the universities you're applying to. They can provide guidance on the specific support they offer for students with mental health conditions. This shows initiative and a commitment to success.

Additional Documentation:

Depending on the university's policies, you might consider including additional documentation, such as a letter from your therapist or a healthcare professional explaining your diagnosis, treatment, and current mental health status. Make sure it is concise and focused on your readiness for university.

Pre-Emptive Communication:

It's a good idea to consider reaching out to the admissions offices of the universities you are interested in. Explain your situation briefly and express your commitment to completing a degree. Be honest about your past challenges but highlight the positive changes and stability you've achieved.

Interviews (if applicable):

If you have an interview as part of the admissions process, be prepared to discuss your experiences, emphasizing how you've overcome challenges and your current readiness for university.

[start]Remember, universities often value resilience and personal growth. By proactively addressing your past challenges and showcasing your current stability and determination, you can present yourself as a strong and capable candidate. The key is to focus on the positive trajectory you're now on and your readiness for academic success.[/start]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending