The Student Room Group

Back to uni or a phase

Currently feeling very anxious and not sure what to do,

Had to leave college due to health issues and started a distant learning degree in criminology , last year took a year out and worked full time in a family’s company,

This year seeing everyone graduate I don’t know if I should leave my distant learning degree and go to a brick uni,

As I don’t have level 3 it would based on acceptance,
However I’m not sure what to do next I want to do a bit of everything I don’t know my exactly career path and I’m so confused, realised money does not = happiness and would rather take a cut and be happy at work,

Don’t know if going to uni to do either business marketing ( people say it’s not worth doing ) or something like real estate however I’m not interested really into real estate just for the sake of trying something new and see if I like it however the course with placement would be 4 years as I also have health issues being in a classroom would be a anxiety and health issue for me

I’m not sure what to do 😩
Original post by Anonymous

Had to leave college due to health issues and started a distant learning degree in criminology , last year took a year out and worked full time in a family’s company,

This year seeing everyone graduate I don’t know if I should leave my distant learning degree and go to a brick uni,

However I’m not sure what to do next I want to do a bit of everything I don’t know my exactly career path and I’m so confused, realised money does not = happiness and would rather take a cut and be happy at work,

Don’t know if going to uni to do either business marketing ( people say it’s not worth doing ) or something like real estate however I’m not interested really into real estate just for the sake of trying something new and see if I like it however the course with placement would be 4 years as I also have health issues being in a classroom would be a anxiety and health issue for me

Hi there!

I totally understand why you might been feeling confused about your choices. If you were considering going to Uni, maybe it would help if you went to one which you can commute to so that you can go home often and do independent study from a safe environment? Also, perhaps have a look at different universities through attending their open days to help make your decision. That way, you can look at the uni and places you will study as well as speaking to students and academics to help decide which course you would choose.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do! I am sure it will be the right decision for you.

Rachel- YSJ student rep
Reply 2
thankyou so much!

I have slightly come to the conclusion that it may be a phrase seeing everyone graduate as I don't really want the uni life it would just be for the "network" and placement uni can provide which is not good enough compared to the amount of sacrifices I have to make :frown:

Original post by Rachel_ysj
Hi there!

I totally understand why you might been feeling confused about your choices. If you were considering going to Uni, maybe it would help if you went to one which you can commute to so that you can go home often and do independent study from a safe environment? Also, perhaps have a look at different universities through attending their open days to help make your decision. That way, you can look at the uni and places you will study as well as speaking to students and academics to help decide which course you would choose.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do! I am sure it will be the right decision for you.

Rachel- YSJ student rep

Hey Anon! :smile:

I think when we leave school it's tough because it's the first time 'success' isn't defined in the same way. At school or college we're all studying towards our exams and once we're finished some move on to university, others go to work and travel, take time for themselves or do other things. I can see why you might re-think your options after seeing others graduate but that doesn't make the path you're on right now any less successful.

Are you enjoying your distance learning Criminology degree? Will it be a degree level qualification you achieve at the end of that? If so, then you're working towards the same goal as others and there will be a time where you get the big graduation day :smile: If not - the day will still come when you achieve that qualification and you should take the opportunity to celebrate that when it comes :smartass:

If you're not sure what's ahead in the future that's ok :hugs:I like the advice 'Do something you enjoy and love and do it well'. Find something that excites you - whether that's Criminology, Marketing, your family business or something else and consider how you can make the most of that. Success is all relative, and as long as you're happy where you are that's great.

I agree with the above suggestion too though - if uni is still quietly on your radar then there's no harm in visiting a few open days. That might convince you one way or the other!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey Anon! :smile:

I think when we leave school it's tough because it's the first time 'success' isn't defined in the same way. At school or college we're all studying towards our exams and once we're finished some move on to university, others go to work and travel, take time for themselves or do other things. I can see why you might re-think your options after seeing others graduate but that doesn't make the path you're on right now any less successful.

Are you enjoying your distance learning Criminology degree? Will it be a degree level qualification you achieve at the end of that? If so, then you're working towards the same goal as others and there will be a time where you get the big graduation day :smile: If not - the day will still come when you achieve that qualification and you should take the opportunity to celebrate that when it comes :smartass:

If you're not sure what's ahead in the future that's ok :hugs:I like the advice 'Do something you enjoy and love and do it well'. Find something that excites you - whether that's Criminology, Marketing, your family business or something else and consider how you can make the most of that. Success is all relative, and as long as you're happy where you are that's great.

I agree with the above suggestion too though - if uni is still quietly on your radar then there's no harm in visiting a few open days. That might convince you one way or the other!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Thankyou so much ! I learn after taking to people that I was going to go to a brick uni for the sake of going and not because I was interested in the subject,

the distant learning will not be shown for the degree so it is more or less the same however no placements as it is 4 hours away from me which is the reason why I wanted to go as maybe it would gain me experience or networking but I understand I can’t go just because of that reason
thankyou so much!

I have slightly come to the conclusion that it may be a phrase seeing everyone graduate as I don't really want the uni life it would just be for the "network" and placement uni can provide which is not good enough compared to the amount of sacrifices I have to make :frown:

Hi there!

No worries at all. I'm glad you've come to a conclusion which is suitable for you and your needs. University is not for everyone so I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do instead.

Rachel- YSJ student rep

Hi there,

Sound like a sticky situation. First off, you don't have to feel weird by seeing people graduate because uni or school in general it's not for everyone, if you felt comfortable and confident then keep doing whatever you did previously and if you ever want to go back to brick uni, if should be because you wanted to and not from seeing others graduate. Do what makes you happy, whether it's working, studying or taking time off because at the end, all that matters is being happy and satisfied. Also know that each person's opinion is different in regards to people saying bus marketing isn't worth doing. Keep in mind that you must not have it all figured out, it takes time so don't be hard on yourself and set unrealistic and exhausting goals, take it one step at a time. Hope you get through this!

Benedicta,
Digital ambassador-UoS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending