The Student Room Group

I feel like I'm of very low intelligence, so I will fail in life

So I am a graduate from a top five universities. My score was 62%. Overall. My A level grades were ABB in mass physics, chemistry respectively. I done applied for ACA apprenticeship. I failed one of my certificate exams four times. The reason I was permitted to do it four times and not two or three times as allowed.. is because my productivity is very good. Basically the company went against the policy as my productivity is actually very good.

At the university I scored an average of 86% in all my coursework and labs . In my exams I either got 50s or 40s. I had two part time jobs parallel to my studies.

A sorry for not keeping proper paragraph structure. I'm just very stressed. The reason I joined top five university of sexual grades is because I had a very good experience under my belt and I read lots of books around mTgps, physics, chemistry. I also did a lot of extracurricular experience on top of my school studies. I was given the exceptional comments about my productivity as such internships. I did internship every single Christmas break, spring break and summer break at top firms.

When a joint the ACA scheme I began failing my exams despite studying 8 to 9 hours after work. I gave up all my hope is everything all my friends just to pass the exams. My my dad stopped talking to me because he's thinks I'm lazy s*** as I failed my exams. Hit those everyone. I've been playing video games to not studying when I haven't switched on my gaming computer since July. I lost my friends my relationship because I sacrifice those for this exams which I couldn't pass. Now every single employer applied to obviously for a different career... Say that if I couldn't pass this exams how would they expect me to pass their mini exams... ( Most jobs have these )

To additionally add something. My university to visitation one and award for being the best dissertation in the entire science faculty, not just chemistry or physics. I have received several awards for my research. Yes, I helped professors doing the research a bit. I know material well in every subject I study but for some reason I just cannot do exams even though I get extra time in my exams. Every time I do any exam I will have like 20% empty of the exam because I just don't have physical time to do it. I just need more time to do things and exams unfortunately do not give you this time. If you were to give me the hardest exam questions they are and give me that I would be able to solve and explain why and how I solve the question.

What yo do with my life .. I have no money now, no family, no friends .. during the last month I developed health is such as not being able to sleep without medicine and consistent headaches. I also gained 5 kg over very short period of time.

Every time I try to explain how difficult this exams where to my dad, he starts yelling at me. He tells everyone I'm lazy. Just so you know how smart he is, he has four PhD degrees at top universities which he obtained on top of his full-time job. In his opinion, anyone can become whoever she wants, including short ppl becoming elite basketball players. And the reason he thinks that there's so many poor people is because they're lazy and don't do the work.

Help me
Hi there, Let me start by saying you've done great, you've achieved a hell of a lot and you're clearly incredibly bright and intelligent. However, and I'm reading between the lines here, what do YOU actually want? To be academically successful? To have lots of friends? To have money? To please your Dad? Obviously we would all say we want all of it, of course we do but in reality we can't always have them all, especially not all at once and I suspect that's where you're struggling.

Perhaps just take a step back and think for a minute, You've been successful and won awards but how does that make you feel? Are you proud of yourself and does it drive you want to work harder, longer and do it again? Does it make your Dad proud and you love that feeling so you do it all again to hang on to that feeling for longer? Do these awards actually open doors or more to the point are they opening the doors you want open?

I don't know much about your field but it sounds like you would suit a career in research, does that genuinely interest you? It sounds to me that you may have fallen out of love with the subject which is why it gets tougher to maintain. If that is the case that is ok, regardless of what you might think others might say. Alternatively, you have your experience and qualifications, that can't be taken away from you so why not go and be really bold, do something very different of a couple of years to break away from this cycle? Go and work abroad perhaps? Join the military (as an officer you're not in it for life despite what many think.) This could open up your horizon's and offer you a wage, people, friends and new experiences. You might end up taking a new path or you might miss it and come back refreshed and ready to go again.

Finally, on a practical note - get outside and get moving. Go for a long walk, if you need a purpose, then go to a coffee shop. Exercise is good for the soul and the body and it allows you space and thinking time. It will take an hour or so out of your day, you can find that time!
Reply 2
Hello, I haven't been to uni yet so i dont have the most experience but i would still like to try and give some advice.
You seem to care a great deal about your father's opinions despite how he treats you, having 4 PHDs makes you academically smart but it doesnt make you wise in matters of life and society, and i think that that's a very important thing to know. If you really think you're lazy because youre father told you so you should stop listening to him, the amount of work you put in for those exams was extreme, especially if it made you lose your friends, that much work is unhealthy and is the polar opposite of being lazy. I think you should reevaluate your position, take a simple job to support yourself, and if you still want to study in university i think you should consider a more vocational subject, as it seems you would produce better results if tasked with completing a piece of coursework instead of an exam. The most important thing to remember is that your value as a person is not determined by you academic ability, and you can be happy and successful without an academic degree. I hope this helps and i especially hope your situation improves.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous20226
Hi there, Let me start by saying you've done great, you've achieved a hell of a lot and you're clearly incredibly bright and intelligent. However, and I'm reading between the lines here, what do YOU actually want? To be academically successful? To have lots of friends? To have money? To please your Dad? Obviously we would all say we want all of it, of course we do but in reality we can't always have them all, especially not all at once and I suspect that's where you're struggling.

Perhaps just take a step back and think for a minute, You've been successful and won awards but how does that make you feel? Are you proud of yourself and does it drive you want to work harder, longer and do it again? Does it make your Dad proud and you love that feeling so you do it all again to hang on to that feeling for longer? Do these awards actually open doors or more to the point are they opening the doors you want open?

I don't know much about your field but it sounds like you would suit a career in research, does that genuinely interest you? It sounds to me that you may have fallen out of love with the subject which is why it gets tougher to maintain. If that is the case that is ok, regardless of what you might think others might say. Alternatively, you have your experience and qualifications, that can't be taken away from you so why not go and be really bold, do something very different of a couple of years to break away from this cycle? Go and work abroad perhaps? Join the military (as an officer you're not in it for life despite what many think.) This could open up your horizon's and offer you a wage, people, friends and new experiences. You might end up taking a new path or you might miss it and come back refreshed and ready to go again.

Finally, on a practical note - get outside and get moving. Go for a long walk, if you need a purpose, then go to a coffee shop. Exercise is good for the soul and the body and it allows you space and thinking time. It will take an hour or so out of your day, you can find that time!

Thank you for your kind message :smile:.

I'm afraid I cannot become an officer. I don't like to go into politics... But this is linked to very aggressive and unprovoked military aggression of Britain to my family origins... ( Very long time ago ). Let's not argue about it... It just happened.

In addition I have 2 physical disabilities... Which ban me from having jobs that may have night shifts.

What I truly want is a good and stable career with data analysis and numbers preferably.
Reply 4
Original post by Macbran
Hello, I haven't been to uni yet so i dont have the most experience but i would still like to try and give some advice.
You seem to care a great deal about your father's opinions despite how he treats you, having 4 PHDs makes you academically smart but it doesnt make you wise in matters of life and society, and i think that that's a very important thing to know. If you really think you're lazy because youre father told you so you should stop listening to him, the amount of work you put in for those exams was extreme, especially if it made you lose your friends, that much work is unhealthy and is the polar opposite of being lazy. I think you should reevaluate your position, take a simple job to support yourself, and if you still want to study in university i think you should consider a more vocational subject, as it seems you would produce better results if tasked with completing a piece of coursework instead of an exam. The most important thing to remember is that your value as a person is not determined by you academic ability, and you can be happy and successful without an academic degree. I hope this helps and i especially hope your situation improves.

Thank you for your kind message.

I really don't want to study anymore. Education gave suvere health damage to me due to unhealthy working hours.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for your kind message :smile:.

I'm afraid I cannot become an officer. I don't like to go into politics... But this is linked to very aggressive and unprovoked military aggression of Britain to my family origins... ( Very long time ago ). Let's not argue about it... It just happened.

In addition I have 2 physical disabilities... Which ban me from having jobs that may have night shifts.

What I truly want is a good and stable career with data analysis and numbers preferably.

Sure that's fine, The military isn't for everyone, but that aside you've told me reasons and things that stop or hold you back. Focus on what you CAN do or motivates you. Clearly you have a strong moral compass (see I've turned that into a positive trait now.) so look for employers that match that. Have you ever considered the Environment Agency? They are part of DEFRA so it's classed as a non departmental government position, They offer many posts in the fields of science and data. Once you are "in" the options for progression are exponential and many of their positions are nationally based working from home - or maybe you would consider relocating. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post links but search "Environment Agency jobs". There are lost of career entry jobs circa £25-30k that need the kind of data and analytical skills you talk about and if their business model matches your morals and ethics then you'll naturally find "your kind of people" along the way? .
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous20226
Sure that's fine, The military isn't for everyone, but that aside you've told me reasons and things that stop or hold you back. Focus on what you CAN do or motivates you. Clearly you have a strong moral compass (see I've turned that into a positive trait now.) so look for employers that match that. Have you ever considered the Environment Agency? They are part of DEFRA so it's classed as a non departmental government position, They offer many posts in the fields of science and data. Once you are "in" the options for progression are exponential and many of their positions are nationally based working from home - or maybe you would consider relocating. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post links but search "Environment Agency jobs". There are lost of career entry jobs circa £25-30k that need the kind of data and analytical skills you talk about and if their business model matches your morals and ethics then you'll naturally find "your kind of people" along the way? .

I appreciate your help, man. Do you reckon you can earn 50k by your 30s? (In this field of course)
Original post by Anonymous
I appreciate your help, man. Do you reckon you can earn 50k by your 30s? (In this field of course)

I don’t see why not but the sooner you start your professional journey the better, there’s much more to professional success than academic performance. Professional experience counts for a lot in most industries and you will be competing against people with a lot of experience. Don’t let that put you off , get out there and get on it!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending