The Student Room Group

Will I get offers ? Your opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ggwp I'm predicted AAA and likely i'll get it, i'll drop the UCL option
Original post by smozsolution
Considering you didn't get a single A at AS (which is easier than A2) what makes you think you'll get 3 at A2?

Your predictions seem a bit unrealistic. I'd forget about UCL and consider applying to the odd university or two requiring BBB or BBC.
Original post by SCAR H
You need to be realistic and consider the possibility that you might not achieve those grades - and, more importantly, that the unis concerned won't believe you will.

It's up to you - I think we have had this conversation before - but you are putting yourself in the position of there being a very high risk of you ending up with no offers at all. If you don't mind that, go ahead - nothing to stop you. But don't come back here in six months' time bemoaning your fate, when several people in this thread have tried to help you - even if you don't like the answers they've come up with to the question you asked.
Reply 22
Original post by Minerva
You need to be realistic and consider the possibility that you might not achieve those grades - and, more importantly, that the unis concerned won't believe you will.

It's up to you - I think we have had this conversation before - but you are putting yourself in the position of there being a very high risk of you ending up with no offers at all. If you don't mind that, go ahead - nothing to stop you. But don't come back here in six months' time bemoaning your fate, when several people in this thread have tried to help you - even if you don't like the answers they've come up with to the question you asked.

I emailed exeter and they said most applicants for Geography recieve offers implying its not that competitive even at Exeter. Why are you giving false information?
Original post by SCAR H
I emailed exeter and they said most applicants for Geography recieve offers implying its not that competitive even at Exeter. Why are you giving false information?
I'm not giving false information. 'Most' does not mean 'all' - and 'most' will be people who demonstrably reach, or can be expected to reach, the entry requirements. In your case, you have a big credibility gap between your actual AS results - not an A anywhere - and your predicted A level grades:

My grades: D + BBC (AS)
Predicted: AAA
Exeter - AAB

The 'most' who get offers from Exeter will be people who got AS results a lot closer to the AAB required at A level than you did. It's also worth remembering that it's not just about getting the offer - you also have to meet its conditions. Not all universities will accept lower grades than they asked for, come Results Day.
Original post by SCAR H

Most people don't apply for courses asking for three grades higher than they have.
Original post by SCAR H

If it's likely you'll get AAA then why did you underperform for AS? What indications do you have that you'll likely get it when we're less than a month into A2 year?

It's all well and good aiming high but you have to be realistic, unless you've got extenuating circumstances that explain your AS grades and the high predictions.
Reply 26
If it's likely you'll get AAA then why did you underperform for AS? What indications do you have that you'll likely get it when we're less than a month into A2 year?

It's all well and good aiming high but you have to be realistic, unless you've got extenuating circumstances that explain your AS grades and the high predictions.

My teachers know me well
Original post by SCAR H
My teachers know me well

You didn't answer my questions. If your teachers know you well then why are they prepared to predict you AAA when your highest grade at AS was a B?
Reply 28
You didn't answer my questions. If your teachers know you well then why are they prepared to predict you AAA when your highest grade at AS was a B?

I'm resitting and they know my capabilities
Original post by SCAR H
I'm resitting and they know my capabilities

Why did you underperform at AS then if you and your teachers believe you're capable of AAA?

Have a serious think about where you're applying and whether your predicted grades are realistic. Universities will be able to see both your predictions and your AS grades and as they won't know your capabilities like your teachers, they'll question the high predicted grades.
Reply 30
Original post by SCAR H
Applying for geography so not massively competive

Unis:
Exeter - AAB
Manchester - ABB
Manchester - AAA
UCL - AAA - ABB
Southampton - ABB

Yeaaah with your predictions you will. And it is possible to move up from BBC to AAA with enough hard work - in one subject I moved from a C to an A. Just make sure you write a good personal statement and get someone to read over it (I always get someone smarter to read over my stuff haha, and it makes a huge difference). Good luck!
It's not as easy as you think moving up grades, it's not just a matter of resitting exams. You can't assume that you will gain UMS/grades purely by resitting. I thought the exact same thing as you last year and it just didn't work. Fair enough I went from a C to an A in one subject but I dropped grades in others too! My advice is, although it is possible to get AAA don't sell yourself dreams and be more realistic about your options. Getting offers is only half of the battle, what is the point of having an offer you can't make?

Keep your resits to a minimum and concentrate on A2. Have some higher offer universities on your list but some lower ones too. Unless you want an unconditional offer into clearing.
Original post by SCAR H
Applying for geography so not massively competive

Unis:
Exeter - AAB
Manchester - ABB
Manchester - AAA
UCL - AAA - ABB
Southampton - ABB

Original post by abc:)
Yeaaah with your predictions you will. And it is possible to move up from BBC to AAA with enough hard work - in one subject I moved from a C to an A. Just make sure you write a good personal statement and get someone to read over it (I always get someone smarter to read over my stuff haha, and it makes a huge difference). Good luck!

Unis won't be convinced with the predictions, though. It's not just one subject either; to get from BBC to AAA they would need to pull up a total number of four grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by yl95
Unis won't be convinced with the predictions, though. It's not just one subject either; to get from BBC to AAA they would need to pull up a total number of four grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought when you apply you don't have to submit your AS grades, only your predicted grades for A2? I could be wrong - it's been a while since I did it. I still think OP has a good chance of getting offers.
I thought when you apply you don't have to submit your AS grades, only your predicted grades for A2? I could be wrong - it's been a while since I did it. I still think OP has a good chance of getting offers.

Definitely no! Predictions vary widely between schools. My school predicted us the UMS grade we got at our ASes eg 90 - A* and only if you were off by one or maybe two UMS you would be predicted the next grade.

I think that's giving OP a lot of false hope. A2s are a step up and admissions won't be convinced. They want low risk candidates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by yl95
Definitely no! Predictions vary widely between schools. My school predicted us the UMS grade we got at our ASes eg 90 - A* and only if you were off by one or maybe two UMS you would be predicted the next grade.

I think that's giving OP a lot of false hope. A2s are a step up and admissions won't be convinced. They want low risk candidates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean at the end of AS I had ACCC, and got an AAA offer, and ended up with A*A*AD.... that was a competitive year too, as the last one before fees went up fewer people opted to take a gap year. We'll agree to disagree on OP's chances!

You are most certainly wrong and things have changed! All results must be declared and not to do so is fraudulent. All state schools must now cash in AS results. Private schools still don't have to cash in, but hardly any of them opt out of doing so. If it is a few years since you applied, you would have been in a situation where cashing in was optional and you could hide your AS results, but that is no longer the case.
Reply 37
Original post by yl95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah with predictions i can achieve it
Reply 38
I mean at the end of AS I had ACCC, and got an AAA offer, and ended up with A*A*AD.... that was a competitive year too, as the last one before fees went up fewer people opted to take a gap year. We'll agree to disagree on OP's chances!

Thanks x :smile:
I would advise to apply for at least one "low" entry course, for example, Bournemouth take with BBB and are a fantastic university, one of the best in terms of the 'new' universities.

Also, Kent are very high on the league tables but their entry requirements are ABB, Nottingham Trent also give an unconditional with ABB and a £1,000 bursary for academic excellence!

There are plenty of good universities out their with lower grade boundaries, best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest