The Student Room Group

Calling ALL Corbyn Supporters: What is your position on the EU?

I am curious. Corbyn has already made his position quite clear.

He is opposed to the fact tax havens flourish in the EU under the transparency between borders and economics. Luxembourg is a good example, Junker hails from there but yet does nothing.

He opposes the pro austerity movement across the EU and especially the measures imposed on Greece by Germany who lets not forget together with France pushed Greece into the Eurozone and into irresponsible borrowing which led to the mounting debts.

He has stated on multiple occasions the lack of the EU to address social and economic inequality across the continent.

The lack of democracy is another issue he has raised.

He thinks the EU is too market orientated and announced that he voted against the EU in 1975.

So supporters of Corbyn what is your opinion and how will you vote in the EU referendum?
I am in favour of staying in the EU, and here's why:

The EU is the world's biggest trade bloc, generating 1/5th of the world's economic output and is a massive contributor to our economy. The UK's seven largest exporters are in the EU as well (bar the USA and Switzerland). The lack of tariffs and export fees means UK goods and products can be sold across the EU at more competitive prices than if we weren't part of it.

Moreover, being in the EU gives us access to the largest market on Earth, 508 million citizens of 28 countries are part of the EU - 508 million potential consumers of British goods.

The EU isn't strictly economic in nature as well, by being in the union, we continue to foster already close relations with our allies in Europe - Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Sweden - these are all nations closely linked to the UK not just economically, but politically and culturally.

Despite its flaws, such as inter-member squabbles and such, I believe the pros outweigh the cons of membership.

Eurosceptics like UKIP say that we can withdraw from the union and arrange our own free-trade agreement, but think about that argument: leaving then asking if we can still get a deal is the political equivalent of dumping your partner of 42 years, then asking if we can 'still be friends' - the EU will be unsurprisingly furious.
Out.
I've got to the stage where I don't care any more. Basically, I like the general idea of greater European co-operation, even a single European federal or confederal state, but I think the EU in its current state is a kind of irretrievably neoliberal anti-democratic technocracy. I used to support a Brexit, thinking that might force the EU to buck up its ideas in some way, but now I no longer think even that will.
The EU is a hideous institution that appears to have the ultimate goal of oppressing the European people, so I'll be voting no whenever the referendum is.
Stay in. Bring back Blair!
Original post by Gears265
I am curious. Corbyn has already made his position quite clear.

He is opposed to the fact tax havens flourish in the EU under the transparency between borders and economics. Luxembourg is a good example, Junker hails from there but yet does nothing.

He opposes the pro austerity movement across the EU and especially the measures imposed on Greece by Germany who lets not forget together with France pushed Greece into the Eurozone and into irresponsible borrowing which led to the mounting debts.

He has stated on multiple occasions the lack of the EU to address social and economic inequality across the continent.

The lack of democracy is another issue he has raised.

He thinks the EU is too market orientated and announced that he voted against the EU in 1975.

So supporters of Corbyn what is your opinion and how will you vote in the EU referendum?

I think Corbyn is completely correct about his reservations about the EU but I do not think that now is an appropriate time to leave. If there were some paradigm-shift in British political attitudes accompanied by a major shift to the left to the point where British mainstream society is genuinely more left-wing than the EU then I'd agree it would be worth considering leaving, but for the time being this isn't the case. Political change does not come instantly and even if by some (wonderful) miracle Corbyn became PM, I'd want to wait at least a decade before I'd feel comfortable that leaving the EU is a safe thing to do (assuming the EU remains as it is today).

I agree with the the idea of a European community, by the way, but not as a free-trade organisation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by IAMADAM27

Yes more wars based on dodgy dossiers.
Original post by United1892
Yes more wars based on dodgy dossiers.

Could be worse!
Reply 9

lol You're trolling right? RIGHT?
Original post by AzimH
lol You're trolling right? RIGHT?

No, he was the best prime minister this country has had in 25 years!
We NEED the EU. @KommunistCake has basically already said everything I would've.
Reply 12
No, he was the best prime minister this country has had in 25 years!

Oh so you was actually being serious? Nah, he is a disgrace and a laughing stock. He ruined Britain.
Original post by AzimH
Oh so you was actually being serious? Nah, he is a disgrace and a laughing stock. He ruined Britain.

Nahh, Brown did that!
Original post by Ivoryfall
We NEED the EU. @KommunistCake has basically already said everything I would've.

What did you think of many big French and German business (such as car manufactures) proclaiming that they wouldn't just continue as is with the Uk should they leave the EU, but would plough in more money (one pledged over a £100m over just a few years)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
EU supports wars and military interventions that destabilizes countries

They impose sanctions on Russia, but not a racist state like Israel

They do Washington synagogues bidding
Corbyn is spot on in every way. However membership is essential for continued relevance in the world, we get a favourable deal anyway and even though the EU is a neoliberal snake pit it is still nowhere near as bad as we would be on our own and/or under the wing of America.
I'm anti-EU, it's undemocratic, bureaucratic, hierarchical & capitalist.

UK should leave it to rot & create it's own democratic social version that's open to nations from anywhere in the world imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending