The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I got 747.5 in UKCAT, with a 1st, think I'll have chances at interviews at Newcastle, Southampton, Barts or Kings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neuronerd
Sat my UKCAT today and disappointed. Got 685 average (760,700,590,690, band 1). I am right in thinking this is too low to risk putting it above a GAMSAT uni (I scored a respectable 71 on GAMSAT)?

Originally wanted to put Oxford, Liverpool, Nottingham, Warwick but thinking of swapping Warwick for Swansea, don't particularly like Swansea but also don't want to waste a choice, any thoughts?

Respectable, understatement of the year lol :biggrin: That is an amazing GAMSAT score. I've heard good things about Swansea and with that GAMSAT score you're in a good place!
Original post by kj0511
so I did my UKCAT today and got 727 (VR670 really let me down as its usually my highest) and I'm worried that this just won't be enough. I read that warwick tend to accept 3000 and above for grads with just a degree and I'm only on 2910. will this be enough for southampton? I'm thinking of applying half gem and had 5 year. Im so confused and don't know what to do!!

That should be enough for Warwick. On their sight it says 2800 was the minimum they'd take for interview. You don't need 750 to be interviews at Warwick. I know someone who got in with 710

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sat my UKCAT today and disappointed. Got 685 average (760,700,590,690, band 1). I am right in thinking this is too low to risk putting it above a GAMSAT uni (I scored a respectable 71 on GAMSAT)?

Originally wanted to put Oxford, Liverpool, Nottingham, Warwick but thinking of swapping Warwick for Swansea, don't particularly like Swansea but also don't want to waste a choice, any thoughts?

Respectable 71?!!!! Please tell me that's a typo and you meant 61. 71 is amazing and would get you an interview anywhere for GAMSAT unis. Prioritise it. Even if you mean 61 id apply to some GAMSAT unis, Swansea and St Georges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
I got 747.5 in UKCAT, with a 1st, think I'll have chances at interviews at Newcastle, Southampton, Barts or Kings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All of them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2145
Original post by Clunkles

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the Ukcat average this year, last year that would have been good enough for kings and newcastle but not the years before
Original post by HCAssistant93
Respectable 71?!!!! Please tell me that's a typo and you meant 61. 71 is amazing and would get you an interview anywhere for GAMSAT unis. Prioritise it. Even if you mean 61 id apply to some GAMSAT unis, Swansea and St Georges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is a typo, but the wrong way round, I got 69,73,73 giving me a mean of 72. I actually ENJOYED taking the exam it went so well. It's why I'm so disappointed with my UKCAT. Submitted today with Swansea instead of warwick (much as I love st. georges I can't afford to live in london)

Hopefully see some of you guys at Interview, we are so close now eeek
It is a typo, but the wrong way round, I got 69,73,73 giving me a mean of 72. I actually ENJOYED taking the exam it went so well. It's why I'm so disappointed with my UKCAT. Submitted today with Swansea instead of warwick (much as I love st. georges I can't afford to live in london)

Hopefully see some of you guys at Interview, we are so close now eeek

Mate don't mean to be rude but 72 is not a respectable score and a bit offensive to people who have 50s and 60s. You should apply to all GAMSAT unis and not bother with ukcat unis. 72 will give you an interview anywhere. Please don't come here and say it's a respectable score because it is more than that. Unless you're here for bragging rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
Mate don't mean to be rude but 72 is not a respectable score and a bit offensive to people who have 50s and 60s. You should apply to all GAMSAT unis and not bother with ukcat unis. 72 will give you an interview anywhere. Please don't come here and say it's a respectable score because it is more than that. Unless you're here for bragging rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No offence as intended - I simply wanted another point of view on weather it is worth replacing a GAMSAT choice with my low UKCAT. I have to be fussy where I go as I have a husband and family that come with me, so moving to somewhere like swansea comes with big sacrifice over somewhere more central like warwick. Not that I should really have to explain myself.

I also can't get interviews "anywhere" as I don't have A-levels or even half decent GCSE qualifications. Yes I did well on the GAMSAT but there is a whole lot more to the application than that. Kindly don't judge people unless you know the whole story.
Right guys, I need an honest opinion.

Sat my UKCAT and got a score of 737.5 (2950) (VR:700). I'll be applying definitely to BSMS as I am currently studying at Brighton and have met the criteria for a guaranteed interview. I'll also definitely be applying to Warwick because I really like it.

I'm torn between Barts, Southampton, King's and Keele (5 year). I applied to Keele before and got an offer and so I don't know whether its a good idea to reapply, or if I'm in with a better chance at one of the other three.

Thanks in advance! :-)
No offence as intended - I simply wanted another point of view on weather it is worth replacing a GAMSAT choice with my low UKCAT. I have to be fussy where I go as I have a husband and family that come with me, so moving to somewhere like swansea comes with big sacrifice over somewhere more central like warwick. Not that I should really have to explain myself.

I also can't get interviews "anywhere" as I don't have A-levels or even half decent GCSE qualifications. Yes I did well on the GAMSAT but there is a whole lot more to the application than that. Kindly don't judge people unless you know the whole story.

How can you apply to Liverpool without A levels? I thought they required BBB.

I appreciate that. It's just the way you came across as saying your score was respectable. People work for a year for that exam and don't half as well. So it just came across wrong.

I think it's best to look at each uni and what they require pre interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Es0phagus
How can you apply to Liverpool without A levels? I thought they required BBB.

After a long and annoyingly repetitive email conversation with them, they basically said we will consider you but no more detail than that (I have alternative qualifications and a masters), another reason why I wanted the UKCAT to go better. :frown:

That's completely fair and of course you don't have to explain yourself. Perhaps what was meant is that you asked for an opinion, and gave us your GAMSAT and UKCAT score and so all anyone can comment on is your best chance of getting in based on only those two things and nothing else. So a score of 72 is fantastic, and based solely on that and your UKCAT, I would have personally said only apply to GAMSAT unis. Of course, you know your own application, and your A level and GCSE status etc, and so thats a big factor aswell. However, with a huge GAMSAT score like that, you've definitely put yourself in a good position, regardless of your situation :-)
After a long and annoyingly repetitive email conversation with them, they basically said we will consider you but no more detail than that (I have alternative qualifications and a masters), another reason why I wanted the UKCAT to go better. :frown:

Be positive, you have more options than me, and a fantastic GAMSAT score! I have no A Levels, only UKCAT in the way of entrance exams and I can't move so I have one choice, and I'm still positive!

I think you said you submitted your application already, but I could be losing my mind, anyway Warwick will score you for postgrad and therefore UKCAT doesn't need to be as high, just in case you're still considering.
Original post by HanaGEM
Be positive, you have more options than me, and a fantastic GAMSAT score! I have no A Levels, only UKCAT in the way of entrance exams and I can't move so I have one choice, and I'm still positive!

I think you said you submitted your application already, but I could be losing my mind, anyway Warwick will score you for postgrad and therefore UKCAT doesn't need to be as high, just in case you're still considering.

Yeah had a convo with the husband and he basically said go for the places you can get, as even with the masters I don't think the UKCAT is high enough (lowest invited to interview in 2015 was 2800, I got 2740). If I get Swansea then I guess I'll just have to suck it up and go there.
Yeah had a convo with the husband and he basically said go for the places you can get, as even with the masters I don't think the UKCAT is high enough (lowest invited to interview in 2015 was 2800, I got 2740). If I get Swansea then I guess I'll just have to suck it up and go there.

Fairy snuff, it makes sense, hopefully you won't have to, and if you do it may be an amazing experience.

My UKCAT score would allow me to apply elsewhere but unfortunately I can afford to uproot my husband and children so I'm only applying to Warwick and can completely understand your disappointment.
Original post by HanaGEM
Fairy snuff, it makes sense, hopefully you won't have to, and if you do it may be an amazing experience.

My UKCAT score would allow me to apply elsewhere but unfortunately I can afford to uproot my husband and children so I'm only applying to Warwick and can completely understand your disappointment.

Oh how I envy those without baggage. Good job we love them eh? :wink:
Oh how I envy those without baggage. Good job we love them eh? :wink:

It's borderline at times :s But of course, otherwise I'd take off, leave them behind and stay in halls, hehe.
Original post by strawberry93
That's so reassuring, thanks! I assume they were 5 year courses?

No worries! And yes they are :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending