The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elzw
what ukcat score do you think kings grad will be after? Anyone thinking of using 2 choices for the same uni, like applying to both their undergrad and grad courses?

Not worth the two choices at Kings - they offer good graduates places on their 5 year course!
Plus, apparently the average competitive score at Kings last year was 720 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm thinking Warwick and Kings GEM. Would that be wise? :curious:

Original post by LorenzoPH
Hi! I'm an international applicant with little knowledge on GEMs. I recently got a UKCAT of 2880 or an average of 720. I don't have any of the tests (A levels? GCSE?) the locals are taking, so I think I'm relying heavily on my UKCAT score. However, I have no idea where to apply for GEMs given a limit of only 4 choices in UCAS.

For academics, I'm currently an undergraduate in my senior year having a GPA of 3.43 (I think that's equivalent to 2.1 here (?))

Sooo, where could I apply with this? Thank you :biggrin:
Guys just a quick one, on ucas when entering education history does anyone know what degree type the Mpharm would come under, would I put it under masters or UK bachelor. I was under the impression it wasn't a straight up masters. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pharma21
Guys just a quick one, on ucas when entering education history does anyone know what degree type the Mpharm would come under, would I put it under masters or UK bachelor. I was under the impression it wasn't a straight up masters. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it gets classified as 1st, 2:1 w/e it's bachelors, if it's distinction, merit, it's masters, as a general rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
If it gets classified as 1st, 2:1 w/e it's bachelors, if it's distinction, merit, it's masters, as a general rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for clearing that up, going to put it down as bachelors then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone help, if I am applying to both 4 year (funded course) and 5 year (self funded) on my ucas application on the student support section, would I enter that my fees will be paid by student finance services or private finance because it depends on what programme I get accepted on?
Original post by DazzleLight
Can anyone help, if I am applying to both 4 year (funded course) and 5 year (self funded) on my ucas application on the student support section, would I enter that my fees will be paid by student finance services or private finance because it depends on what programme I get accepted on?

It doesn't matter. As a general rule, always apply for student finance. You can still get maintenance for the five year. Where are you thinking?
Reply 2247
Original post by Clunkles
Not worth the two choices at Kings - they offer good graduates places on their 5 year course!
Plus, apparently the average competitive score at Kings last year was 720 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the advice! :smile:
Reply 2248
Hey guys - wondering if anyone can help me out. As you know I can't apply this year now, but I want to sit chemistry and bio A levels otherwise I'm going to go mad without studying! To those who have self taught - which exam board is easiest to self teach and how do I find out what test centres accept external candidates? Thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tw781
Hey guys - wondering if anyone can help me out. As you know I can't apply this year now, but I want to sit chemistry and bio A levels otherwise I'm going to go mad without studying! To those who have self taught - which exam board is easiest to self teach and how do I find out what test centres accept external candidates? Thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Getting in touch with local sixth forms and colleges is probably the easiest way, as they can sit you for the written exams as well as any practical exams involved in the course.

That will mean that you'll have to stick with the exam boards they use, however..
Reply 2250
Original post by sampowell92
Getting in touch with local sixth forms and colleges is probably the easiest way, as they can sit you for the written exams as well as any practical exams involved in the course.

That will mean that you'll have to stick with the exam boards they use, however..

Thanks! I've just looked and AQA have a list of private test centres!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it important that you have work experience in a hospital?? Panicking a bit as my work experience is in nursing homes and some GP shadowing, but everyone else seems to have hospital experience...
Does anyone know if there is a Liverpool A101 thread for 2016 entry? Can't find one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neuronerd
BBB at a-level

Oh I have ABB so fine, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
Does anyone know if there is a Liverpool A101 thread for 2016 entry? Can't find one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't seen any threads for Liverpool, Nottingham, Swansea or Oxford A101 2016 yet. If you make one I'll join, got my application acknowledgement the other day eeeek
Original post by sampowell92
Is it important that you have work experience in a hospital?? Panicking a bit as my work experience is in nursing homes and some GP shadowing, but everyone else seems to have hospital experience...

I don't think it's necessary at all! I think Warwick want to see that you know what the role of a doctor in today's NHS entails, but you've easily got that sorted with your GP shadowing.
I have a genuine question about funding for 4-year GEM vs 5/6-year undergraduate course. I'm not intending this to sound judgemental or whiny - I genuinely want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious here before I get my UCAS application in!

Graduates who are considering applying to a 5/6-year course: how are you going to fund it? The way I understand it, you won't get a tuition fee loan for any years of the course or any NHS funding for tuition fees (apart from NHS funding for the final year, I think). So looking at a minimum outlay for tuition fees of £36k, cash. That's before even getting into living costs, although my understanding is you are still eligible for a maintenance loan (RIP, maintenance grant).

Although I know that the 4-year courses are really competitive to get on to and are intense, I am keen to finish as soon as possible and would probably also prefer to study alongside graduates, rather than school leavers, in the first few years. But the main reason that I can only apply to 4-year courses is funding. Assuming funding for 2016 onwards is similar to now (*fingers crossed*...), then it's the only way I would be able to study medicine and, even then, it's a big financial outlay.

Just wondering what people thought of this!
Original post by kantayya
I have a genuine question about funding for 4-year GEM vs 5/6-year undergraduate course. I'm not intending this to sound judgemental or whiny - I genuinely want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious here before I get my UCAS application in!

Graduates who are considering applying to a 5/6-year course: how are you going to fund it? The way I understand it, you won't get a tuition fee loan for any years of the course or any NHS funding for tuition fees (apart from NHS funding for the final year, I think). So looking at a minimum outlay for tuition fees of £36k, cash. That's before even getting into living costs, although my understanding is you are still eligible for a maintenance loan (RIP, maintenance grant).

Although I know that the 4-year courses are really competitive to get on to and are intense, I am keen to finish as soon as possible and would probably also prefer to study alongside graduates, rather than school leavers, in the first few years. But the main reason that I can only apply to 4-year courses is funding. Assuming funding for 2016 onwards is similar to now (*fingers crossed*...), then it's the only way I would be able to study medicine and, even then, it's a big financial outlay.

You haven't missed anything, some people have rich families that are happy to pay for them. 5 year course is less intensive, less competitive and more choice of uni's. If I had the money I might consider it. (I don't 4 year all the way...)
Original post by kantayya

5 year medicine course is 10x less competitive than GEM
A lot of peoples families are happy to pay for the 5 year course or they have money saved etc
Not as intense

A lot of 5 year courses especially in London (KCL and Barts) are full of grads!
Hey,
Does anyone know what the deal is in terms of funding for Imperial's 5 year GEP. It's all very hazy on the website and can't find the info on any independent sites either... I'm assuming it's essentially the same as for all the 5 year undergraduate courses but don't seem to be able to find confirmation of this! Any info would be great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending