The Student Room Group

Thank you Indonesia for 11 months of clean air

“For 11 months, they (our neighbours) enjoyed nice air from Indonesia and they never thanked us. They have suffered because of the haze for one month and they get upset.” - Indonesia Vice-President Jusuf Kalla (Juju)

So we created this website to thank you specially

http://thankyouindoforthecleanair.com/

show your appreciation by clicking the thank you button.
Most British people wont understand this or care much as it doesn't effect them. I am assuming you live in Malaysia or Singapore?
Do you want to give us some context?
Which 5 year old made this website? Plus are they still running Windows 95?

And what's all this about ay?
Original post by Bill_Gates
Which 5 year old made this website? Plus are they still running Windows 95?

And what's all this about ay?

#NostalgiaFTW

Only clicked to re-live the 2000s web-surfin days!
Original post by DiceTheSlice
#NostalgiaFTW

Only clicked to re-live the 2000s web-surfin days!

It was pretty good have to be honest.
im alright love
Original post by DiddyDec
Do you want to give us some context?

Indonesia is a major supplier of the worlds palm oil. This obviously requires vast amounts of land. In order to clear up land for more palm oil, every year plantation owners chops down and burn the rainforests of Borneo and other places in Indonesia. This is also exasperated by the dry season, and forest fires often spread and engulf huge areas of forests. Neighbouring countries such as Malaysia and Singapore then have to suffer from the after effects of this, with polluted smog filled air.

Malaysians and Singaporeans and not happy and their governments have been putting pressure on the Indonesian government, and have even gone as far as offering to help assist Indonesia. Indonesia however has refused help and says it is working on the issue. However, with issues of corruption, the big businesses which engage in these slash and burn tactics continue to get away with their illegal practises.

I assume also, in response to the complaints regarding the pollution, the Indonesia vice president made the comment which the OP posted and to which social media in Malaysia and Singapore have jumped upon.
Original post by The Epicurean

I assume also, in response to the complaints regarding the pollution, the Indonesia vice president made the comment which the OP posted and to which social media in Malaysia and Singapore have jumped upon.

This.

I think the website was designed to satirise the stupidity of Indonesia's VP (Kalla) saying that Singapore shouldn't complain as they have benefitted from "clean air" from the Indonesian forests.
It is a satirical site made to take a dig at indonesian vice president ridiculous statement of "thank us for providing you fresh air for 11 months"
We had a volcanic mountain in Iceland which decided to erupt and spew ash all over the skies of Europe, practically grounding all flights and disrupting the world's largest economy. But I don't remember hearing anything about there being any air quality issues.

I wonder how Europe would react if the haze spread here. Especially if European companies participate in the burning.

Quick Reply

Latest