The Student Room Group

Sixth form college in London??

I am a year 11 student and I currently live in Birmingham with my family. My brother lives in London and the plan is for me to live with him and go to college in London. Ideally a grammar sixth form. I have tried searching for some online but many of the ones I've seen are either private schools or way too far for me to travel to.
I need some names of good grammar sixth forms that are near East London or central London, and that are free. This is really important as my school are not giving us any information on looking for sixth forms as they want us to stay in the schools sixth form which is really bad.

I also need help choosing my a-levels as I genuinely have no clue what I want to do in the future.
The subjects I enjoy are English, art, chemistry and textiles. In terms of a- levels I'm really interested in sociology, psychology, philosophy, media studies, graphic design, photography and English lit/lang but whenever I've spoken about it I've been told that they won't get me far, but I want to know if it's possible to choose those a levels and get a spot at a good university too (and what degree could I do?)

In short I just want to know of any good grammar sixth forms in London that I could do any of those courses that I've mentioned above, and what coursers could get me far in life? I want to do something I enjoy obviously but I also need it to get me far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry I can't really help you with what sixth forms there are in East London, but have you got any particular career in mind or an idea of what kind of career you want?
Reply 2
Original post by Tarte Tatin
Sorry I can't really help you with what sixth forms there are in East London, but have you got any particular career in mind or an idea of what kind of career you want?

Ideally something to do with graphic design/photography but then I also like psychology and English lit so I'm confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asma-A
Ideally something to do with graphic design/photography but then I also like psychology and English lit so I'm confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not take all 4 of these subjects?
Reply 4
Why not take all 4 of these subjects?

But will that get me far in life like what degree could I choose in university and would that leave me with a really stable career choice??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asma-A
But will that get me far in life like what degree could I choose in university and would that leave me with a really stable career choice??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I couldn't really say as I don't do any of these subjects, but I'd suggest you have a look at university websites and browse through the courses they offer and what subjects are required for their courses. This will give you a better understanding. There should also be some information on what jobs graduates have gone on to do and you could do some research into how competitive these jobs are etc.
Reply 6
I couldn't really say as I don't do any of these subjects, but I'd suggest you have a look at university websites and browse through the courses they offer and what subjects are required for their courses. This will give you a better understanding. There should also be some information on what jobs graduates have gone on to do and you could do some research into how competitive these jobs are etc.

Thanks for the advice I think I'm going to wait till someone gives me some names for sixth forms first

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Reply 9
Valentines high school
Unfortunately, the nearest grammar schools are all in south East London in the bexley area. Are you prepared to commute up to an hour every day?
The main grammar schools are :
Beths grammar school
Bexley grammar school
Townley grammar school
Chislehurst and sidcup grammar sixth
Dartford Grammar
Wilmington grammar school

Actually, there are quite a few grammar in Essex which is a bit close to East London but most of them are outside the m25 (London Orbital).
Doing further research, I have found some grammar schools in North East London :

Latimer school
Queen Elizabeth grammar school

Your best bet is the grammar schools In bexley.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by monkeyboy18000
Unfortunately, the nearest grammar schools are all in south East London in the bexley area. Are you prepared to commute up to an hour every day?
The main grammar schools are :
Beths grammar school
Bexley grammar school
Townley grammar school
Chislehurst and sidcup grammar sixth
Dartford Grammar
Wilmington grammar school

Actually, there are quite a few grammar in Essex which is a bit close to East London but most of them are outside the m25 (London Orbital).
Doing further research, I have found some grammar schools in North East London :

Latimer school
Queen Elizabeth grammar school

Your best bet is the grammar schools In bexley.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is amazing thank you! I'm really liking Beth's grammar school but it doesn't look that hard to get into, do you know if it's a good sixth form or not ? It doesn't look that for from where I'll be staying so commuting won't be an issue!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asma-A
This is amazing thank you! I'm really liking Beth's grammar school but it doesn't look that hard to get into, do you know if it's a good sixth form or not ? It doesn't look that for from where I'll be staying so commuting won't be an issue!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes beths is really good as I have been looking at them aswell. They do all the subjects your interested in aswell. The results for gcses are amazing 100% a*-c and the amazement continues in the sixth form. However, I'm an not sure on exact figures for sixth form, but I do no they are very good!
Reply 14
Yes beths is really good as I have been looking at them aswell. They do all the subjects your interested in aswell. The results for gcses are amazing 100% a*-c and the amazement continues in the sixth form. However, I'm an not sure on exact figures for sixth form, but I do no they are very good!

I'm not loving the whole sixth formers wearing uniform thing though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

I've looked at Beth's and I really like how most a levels only need at least a b in English to do them, but I'm really not comfortable with another 2 years in uniform any idea of sixth forms that offer the same admission criteria for a levels but don't have a uniform

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asma-A
I've looked at Beth's and I really like how most a levels only need at least a b in English to do them, but I'm really not comfortable with another 2 years in uniform any idea of sixth forms that offer the same admission criteria for a levels but don't have a uniform

Posted from TSR Mobile

Townley grammar I think
Also, check out bexley grammar

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Does anyone know of any good sixth forms, not grammar this time, near east-central London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asma-A
Does anyone know of any good sixth forms, not grammar this time, near east-central London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most of the good schools I know are the other side of London - I can't recommend any of these because I've never heard of them but:
Coloma Convent
Newstead Wood
Hatcham College (IDK if it's state or private)
Oaklands Schools
LAE (A "marmite" school)
There are a few good schools a bit further away such as Henrietta Barnett, Holland Park.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending