The Student Room Group

Should I revise weekly or topic by topic?

Hello!
I was just wondering whether I should revise what I learn weekly or topic by topic which is what I'm currently doing. The AS subjects I chose were biology, chemistry, psychology and IT.
Thanks!
Original post by andrew_williams
Hello!
I was just wondering whether I should revise what I learn weekly or topic by topic which is what I'm currently doing. The AS subjects I chose were biology, chemistry, psychology and IT.
Thanks!

I would suggest going over what you've done in class each week and making revision notes as you go along (not necessarily learning them yet, just making them). Also check that you understand everything you've learned and ask for help if you need it.

Then when you come to revise, make sure you structure your revision in some way, for example creating a timetable whereby you revise for 45 minutes, then have a break for 15 minutes and so on, or using another set of times. Alternatively, you can allocate certain topics to days, for example on Monday revise topics a b and c, on Tuesday revise topics d e and f. When I did my A Levels I allocated topics to days as opposed to times as I found it less stressful.

The good thing about AS is that you're able to try out different revision strategies and find one which works for you, so that you have revision strategies prepared for when you do A2.

Ultimately though, how you revise depends on what works best for you, so if revising topic by topic works for you, I'd stick with that. Good luck! :smile:
Weekly; you'll actually thank yourself in a few months when everyone is trying to frantically put together notes for their mocks while you can just sit back, flip through your flashcards and focus on learning than just writing and not taking anything in properly.

Quick Reply

Latest