The Student Room Group

What are the most useful study tips?

Hi! I’m a 16 y living in Scotland, currently doing 5 higher’s: math, chemistry, design & technology, modern studies and English. What are the most useful tips or methods (pls explain) you have used? How do you manage your time with school and study? Weekend timetable? Overall the most helpful tips you have used that have achieved yourself an academic success!!
Reply 1
Original post by Emma_?
Hi! I’m a 16 y living in Scotland, currently doing 5 higher’s: math, chemistry, design & technology, modern studies and English. What are the most useful tips or methods (pls explain) you have used? How do you manage your time with school and study? Weekend timetable? Overall the most helpful tips you have used that have achieved yourself an academic success!!

Hi Emma, this is my revision process...

Schedule
I plan out my day the night before every day. I aim to do at least 1 hour of revision for something daily, without including homework or test revision. For example my schedule could look like - School, 4:30-5:30 Maths integration practise, 6:00-6:30 Modern studies homework, 8:30-9:15 DT coursework. As you can see I make sure to have gaps in between to relax, and the good thing about this schedule is you can customise it to what you're doing!

Then on weekends I normally aim for 2 hours revision per day.

A little bit of revision every day consistently builds up - trust me!

Revision Methods
Honestly it depends on your subjects - English and Maths will be different for example. Here is my timeline:

Topic notes - I rewrite notes on topics I've learnt, try and do this after you've learnt it. That way you consistently make notes so you have everything in one place and don't have to write them all at the end.

Blurt - this is when you pick a topic let's say Hydrocarbons for chem, and you write down everything you can remember about it. Then you check your notes, and add in a different colour pen what you forgot. I also rate how I felt about the topic out of 5, so lets say I wrote down 5 out of 7 bullet points, I'd give that about a 4/5, but if I only wrote 2 out of 7, that may be more like a 2/5. Now you know where you struggle.

Flashcards of parts you struggle on. If there is something you ALWAYS forget or a long process you need to remember step for step make flashcards of it. These are also very handy the night before a test/exam to remind yourself of key points.

Past paper questions - cannot stress this enough! These are the types of questions that will show up, so practise them, mark them, practise them again!

Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by study23!

Hi Emma, this is my revision process...

Schedule
I plan out my day the night before every day. I aim to do at least 1 hour of revision for something daily, without including homework or test revision. For example my schedule could look like - School, 4:30-5:30 Maths integration practise, 6:00-6:30 Modern studies homework, 8:30-9:15 DT coursework. As you can see I make sure to have gaps in between to relax, and the good thing about this schedule is you can customise it to what you're doing!

Then on weekends I normally aim for 2 hours revision per day.

A little bit of revision every day consistently builds up - trust me!

Revision Methods
Honestly it depends on your subjects - English and Maths will be different for example. Here is my timeline:

Topic notes - I rewrite notes on topics I've learnt, try and do this after you've learnt it. That way you consistently make notes so you have everything in one place and don't have to write them all at the end.

Blurt - this is when you pick a topic let's say Hydrocarbons for chem, and you write down everything you can remember about it. Then you check your notes, and add in a different colour pen what you forgot. I also rate how I felt about the topic out of 5, so lets say I wrote down 5 out of 7 bullet points, I'd give that about a 4/5, but if I only wrote 2 out of 7, that may be more like a 2/5. Now you know where you struggle.

Flashcards of parts you struggle on. If there is something you ALWAYS forget or a long process you need to remember step for step make flashcards of it. These are also very handy the night before a test/exam to remind yourself of key points.

Past paper questions - cannot stress this enough! These are the types of questions that will show up, so practise them, mark them, practise them again!

Hope this helps

thank you!!
Original post by Emma_?

Hey there 😀

To begin, I took the initiative to familiarise myself with the content of each subject. This involved assessing the scope of topics and estimating the required study time. Subsequently, I created a comprehensive long-term schedule leading up to my final exams. This schedule included specific topics aligned with designated study dates for each week, allowing for the incorporation of contingency time in case of unexpected delays.

With long-term schedules established for each subject, I proceeded to weekly schedules, distributing study time across all subjects over the course of seven days. It is essential to maintain a rational perspective during this planning phase. Setting realistic and measurable goals is crucial to avoid becoming overly discouraged due to overestimating one's capabilities.

A pivotal aspect of the weekly schedule is the inclusion of breaks, providing necessary rest for the brain. Also, tailoring the duration of study sessions and breaks to individual preferences is vital for effective learning. Following these schedules, I consistently adhered to timelines, ensuring maximum productivity.

The approach to studying is a highly personal endeavour, with success varying from person to person. Personally, I found value in creating notes based on textbooks, as rewriting and paraphrasing content fosters effective learning and remembering. These notes serve as valuable review material before small tests and final exams.

For practical subjects like math or chemistry, after creating notes and grasping the concepts, I used to seek out online mock tasks or utilize teacher-recommended worksheets.

For theoretical subjects, my preferred method involved generating a set of questions based on the textbook or notes. It is simply a simulation of a potential test. This interactive learning method enhances encoding and retention as well as proves to be a valuable tool for repetition at any point in the future.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Original post by Emma_?

In the run up to tests I used to make mind maps and have them on my walls so I was constantly seeing the content and key buzzwords in my room and subconsciously picking things up even when I didn't realise 🙂 I could go over things before bed and in the morning so it was fresh in my mind. I also really benefitted from past papers and timing myself per question to make sure you're prepped for both the content and the exam time. Work closely with your teachers so they can help you understand anything you're struggling with - don't be scared to ask.

How did you find studying for your Nat 4/5s? I'd say stick with any methods that worked well for you in the past - every brain is unique and has its own way of learning 🧠

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending