The Student Room Group

Honest living costs

I have looked at all the official guidelines for living costs on uni websites but I hear they can be a little unreliable.

So I want to hear from actual current students. If you're doing an undergraduate degree at a UK uni, please try to break down your yearly living costs;

1) how much you spend on accommodation (is it uni halls or private?)
2) how much you spend on food (catered or self-catered accommodation? What do you eat most days?)
3) how much you spend on other things (travel, books, going out etc)

I'm particularly interested in London, Oxford (particularly worried about the living costs here), Birmingham and Leicester as I've applied to these unis, Although any uni experiences or reassurances are very welcome! Please help put my mind at ease as some of the figures on uni websites seem so unaffordable even with maintenance loans :frown:
For 1) have you looked at the cost of halls? The cost is listed on the uni websites.
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
For 1) have you looked at the cost of halls? The cost is listed on the uni websites.

Yes I have, but that is only for the first year (or first 3 for Oxford) so I was just wondering how much the cost rises when living in private accommodation
at Oxford you may be able to stay in halls and the cost is lower than most other universities. Terms are shorter and living costs depend on you.

At universities other than London private accommodation usually works out a bit cheaper.London costs are very high, unless you have parental support over your loan dont go there.

Food and social life costs what you choose to spend once you go past £30 a week. Depends what sort of food you want to eat and how much you want to drink/ go out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending