The Student Room Group

Sexist language banned at schools

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
B...b..but it was only BANTER!
I'm still not sure how "cupcake" is in any way sexist, regardless of context... it's a cake.
Original post by RedStar98
I'm still not sure how "cupcake" is in any way sexist, regardless of context... it's a cake.

I thought that myself but I assume its due to cupcakes being sweet, therefore a feminine stereotype so another way of saying something like sweetheart.

Or that some people call cupcakes fairy cakes and fairy is used as a insult to gay people so I dont know.
Original post by drbluebox
I thought that myself but I assume its due to cupcakes being sweet, therefore a feminine stereotype so another way of saying something like sweetheart.

Or that some people call cupcakes fairy cakes and fairy is used as a insult to gay people so I dont know.

I suppose so, yeah, it just seems a bit over the top even by today's standards of what's 'offensive' .
Good! last week this girl used 'man up' in my english lesson and I cringed, it's sexist and stupid really to make such comments.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Good! last week this girl used 'man up' in my english lesson and I cringed, it's sexist and stupid really to make such comments.

The common modern context of man up seems to be that anyone especially male that doesnt act confident and in your face is seen as weak when in fact people who act like the "man" are just arrogant and childish and the ones that are told to man up are the ones that are expecting people to be sensible.
Most of them have clearly just been made up by some troll working for the DT. What do you expect?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

What if someone says 'wo-man up'?
the way I see this happening is how things in schools always work: the boys will get punished but the girls won't. and THAT is sexism towards the males.
Original post by sleepysnooze
the way I see this happening is how things in schools always work: the boys will get punished but the girls won't. and THAT is sexism towards the males.

More along the lines if a male says something by accident that can be implied to be sexist he will be punished like what happened at my school.
"Cupcake"?
I guess every Year 2 teacher in the land just became sexist.

"Make me a sandwich", I agree is demeaning, but the others are hardly sexist.
Yayyyyyyyyy progress!
Reply 52
None of these things ever actually happen on a regular basis and if they did I'm pretty sure they were already frowned upon. Typically feminists with a persecution complex have complained about nothing and in turn got in the way of genuine issues vis-a-vis gender equality in the education system and wider society.
Reply 53
Original post by ubisoft
Thanks feminism.

The quotes on here remind me of when, in the US, they made it illegal to not offer someone your business because they were gay and there was outrage, LGBT groups put together an effective and hilarious campaign called: "Sorry I ruined your marriage."

Essentially, sorry I inconvenienced you by not allowing you to discriminate against me.

Yeah, sorry, you can't put me down for having a vagina. I guess this must be hard for you.

No. F OFF.

Like that top professor in UCL who just lost his job for saying women shouldn't be in labs because they cry and fall in love. Again, F OFF.

If you don't like ME, that's fine. But stop trying to make me feel like an idiot because I have a vagina.

I'm glad they've done this. Self-esteem in women (especially teenage women) lags massively below that of boys.

I don't care that it's a silly thing to ban. It's silly they have to ban it.

I've had at least 2 professors, who are there to TEACH us about the world, make sexist comments. One telling me that childbirth is the only particular skill women have and the other telling the class that he wouldn't get in a plane if a woman was piloting, even if there were a male co-pilot.

Yeah, hilarious. People say you're touchy. But then if he said the only thing black people are good for is shining shoes and people wouldn't be laughing then.

People who agree with this, don't let "PC gone mad" bull**** put you off. It's PC not to be a sexist, racist, homophobe. If you are these things, you're not being "non-PC". You're being a sexist or a racist or a homophobe. Call a spade a spade.
Reply 54
Original post by J_89
The quotes on here remind me of when, in the US, they made it illegal to not offer someone your business because they were gay and there was outrage, LGBT groups put together an effective and hilarious campaign called: "Sorry I ruined your marriage."

Essentially, sorry I inconvenienced you by not allowing you to discriminate against me.

Yeah, sorry, you can't put me down for having a vagina. I guess this must be hard for you.

No. F OFF.

Like that top professor in UCL who just lost his job for saying women shouldn't be in labs because they cry and fall in love. Again, F OFF.

If you don't like ME, that's fine. But stop trying to make me feel like an idiot because I have a vagina.

I'm glad they've done this. Self-esteem in women (especially teenage women) lags massively below that of boys.

I've had at least 2 professors, who are there to TEACH us about the world, make sexist comments. One telling me that childbirth is the only particular skill women have and the other telling the class that he wouldn't get in a plane if a woman was piloting, even if there were a male co-pilot.

Yeah, hilarious. People say you're touchy. But then if he said the only thing black people are good for is shining shoes and people wouldn't be laughing then.

People who agree with this, don't let "PC gone mad" bull**** put you off. It's PC not to be a sexist, racist, homophobe. If you are these things, you're not being "non-PC". You're being a sexist or a racist or a homophobe. Call a spade a spade.

*Waits for Femi-Nazi or Dyke comments*

Have had it all. It bores me. I know I'm right both logically and morally.

Have never heard an original or thoughtful argument against my point of view.
Reply 55
Original post by J_89

No. F OFF.

What the **** are you on about? No one said anything about" having a vagina ". Not all women are feminists. This is a misconception that fenenazis have. Less and less women consider themselves feminists as they realise how crazy they are.

And yeah, that is pretty hilarious I must say. Must have got your panties in a bunch when he said that.
Original post by RainbowKiwi
What if someone says 'wo-man up'?

They would probably say "don't be such a tom-boy "
Original post by J_89
*Waits for Femi-Nazi or Dyke comments*

Have had it all. It bores me. I know I'm right both logically and morally.

Have never heard an original or thoughtful argument against my point of view.

In case you didn't notice some of these sexist comments that are banned were towards boys. There is another gender...
Original post by stochasticking
They would probably say "don't be such a tom-boy "

That's sexist m8. Reported :hand:
Original post by RainbowKiwi
That's sexist m8. Reported :hand:

Not me! The person that would make a sexist comment . They would say that instead of "women up". Jeez, I need to make myself clearer sometimes lol

Quick Reply

Latest