The Student Room Group

A-Level options for Medicine?

What would you suggest are the 5 A-Levels that I could take which would help the most to obtain a Medical degree? Right now, I'm thinking: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and maybe Further Maths but what do you think?
Original post by maninblack00
What would you suggest are the 5 A-Levels that I could take which would help the most to obtain a Medical degree? Right now, I'm thinking: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and maybe Further Maths but what do you think?

Ultimate combo if you can do well. But places like UCL like you to have a contrasting subject maybe an arts one or a language. But I don't see any problems with those choices, should be fine for the vast majority. Oxbridge will like it for sure.
Original post by ArchmageRohan
Ultimate combo if you can do well. But places like UCL like you to have a contrasting subject maybe an arts one or a language. But I don't see any problems with those choices, should be fine for the vast majority. Oxbridge will like it for sure.

Ok thanks 👍🏾😇
Reply 3
I would say those A-levels are a good choice :smile:
Chemistry is required; Biology is preferred and some universities would like you to have Maths or Physics (but you can do both of course). Then whatever you choose apart from that is up to you.
(edited 8 years ago)
That is going to be extremely intense. If you can handle it, go for it. Otherwise, definitely stick with Bio, Chem and Maths as your three core subjects and go for one or two languages or humanities. Also, note that taking more than four AS Levels and more than three A2 Levels puts you at no advantage over other applicants at most universities.

The only ones you need are chemistry and biology. If you want to apply to Cambridge then do maths or physics. Otherwise maths and physics are NOT needed!!!!!!!!

Unless you apply to Barts there is no advantage doing more than 4 as and 3 a-levels. And many medical schools don't count further maths separately to maths, so unless you're not sure about medicine there is no point doing f.maths.
Reply 6
Original post by yasaminO_o
That is going to be extremely intense. If you can handle it, go for it. Otherwise, definitely stick with Bio, Chem and Maths as your three core subjects and go for one or two languages or humanities.

There is definitely nothing wrong with taking Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics. If you're not good at/don't enjoy languages or humanities, there's no reason to do them. Also, you don't need maths in your core subjects.

Those choices are fine.

However, it's not necessary to do 5 A Levels, and I can't imagine it'll give you much/any advantage. Do them if you want, but you may prefer not to give yourself an unnecessarily large workload.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending