The Student Room Group

Higher History essay (20 mark one) tips?

I find Knowledge and understanding is simple and the easiest, but it's only worth 6 marks!

I was wondering how to get marks for argument and analysis which is out of 10!

Out of the two practice essays I've done so far I've barely been able to achieve above 3 marks for the argument?

Could some one give me some examples of what to write for argument/analysis?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
That's helped me to understand how to get marks for analysis much more! I had no idea until I read this. I'm going to try and get a good grade on my next essay now! Thank you.

I find the knowledge and understanding and structure quite straight forward, I'll use this as a reference until I can pick up good marks on my own , cheers!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Exactly how much is required for a 20mark question, in terms of pages? As i have written 3and a half for my first 20mark and i don't want it to seem as though I'm trying too hard. I want to ensure it's a decent amount.
Original post by SaarahN
Exactly how much is required for a 20mark question, in terms of pages? As i have written 3and a half for my first 20mark and i don't want it to seem as though I'm trying too hard. I want to ensure it's a decent amount.

The last post on this thread was 2012, you should have just started a new thread considering you are probably doing the new cfe higher. I did the old one last year and my essay's were generally 4.5-5 pages long, however the marks ranged from 19,18, 16, 15. The marks don't depend on length but how much of the argument you have explored and analysed. Always refer back to the question, so after each KU point you make follow it up by saying "this was important because" and link it back to the essay question. Another good way to look analytical is to use the phrase "historians also argue/historians agree etc "

So generally I wouldn't hand in an essay less than 4 pages but my handwriting might be bigger than yours.
If its typed on word 2-3 pages with font size 12 is more than enough.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Zain-A
The last post on this thread was 2012, you should have just started a new thread considering you are probably doing the new cfe higher. I did the old one last year and my essay's were generally 4.5-5 pages long, however the marks ranged from 19,18, 16, 15. The marks don't depend on length but how much of the argument you have explored and analysed. Always refer back to the question, so after each KU point you make follow it up by saying "this was important because" and link it back to the essay question. Another good way to look analytical is to use the phrase "historians also argue/historians agree etc "

So generally I wouldn't hand in an essay less than 4 pages but my handwriting might be bigger than yours.
If its typed on word 2-3 pages with font size 12 is more than enough.

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm actually not very observant, I didn't realise this thread was from 2012 until you mentioned it. Thanks again.
I've written my essay and it's about 4 pages and i really didn't want to condense it. Like, that's a waste of effort. So yeah, I'm glad I don't have to.
Original post by SaarahN
Thanks, that's helpful. I'm actually not very observant, I didn't realise this thread was from 2012 until you mentioned it. Thanks again.
I've written my essay and it's about 4 pages and i really didn't want to condense it. Like, that's a waste of effort. So yeah, I'm glad I don't have to.

No problem at all :smile: you really want to get a good technique down which comes with practice because the hardest part is writing the essays with no notes under time constraints and as long as you know the information and have a technique you can write any essay question.

For example about 3 essay's I hadn't really looked at came up in my exam which forced me to do one I hadn't pre prepared but since I knew most of the information I managed to wing it and write a completely new essay in the exam because I knew how to structure it in order to get Analysis marks. Ended up with an A.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to drop me a PM. I did Democracy in Britain essays, American essays and Treaty of Union for sources so if you are doing any of those three I can answer stuff on it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending