The Student Room Group

How to prove that this sentence is true (phys chem)

'At equilibrium, the chemical potential of a component in the vapour must be the same as the chemical potential of that component in the fluid'

It also says that assume the Gibbs energy of a closed system at constant T and p is a minimum at equilibrium.

Just stuck on where to start or if it's easier than I think it is?
Thanks for any help
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RoseBrilliante
'At equilibrium, the chemical potential of a component in the vapour must be the same as the chemical potential of that component in the fluid'

It also says that assume the Gibbs energy of a closed system at constant T and p is a minimum at equilibrium.

Just stuck on where to start of if it's easier than I think it is?
Thanks for any help

If the chemical components aren't the same then it won't be in equilibrium. If vapour is produced at a quicker rate than liquid then it isn't equilibrium

I think
Original post by The Wavefunction
If the chemical components aren't the same then it won't be in equilibrium. If vapour is produced at a quicker rate than liquid then it isn't equilibrium

I think

That's what I thought but I think they want me to use an equation of some sort?
It also says 'change in Gibbs energy on moving Δn moles from phase α to phase β is given by ΔG = Δn[μ(β) - μ(α)]'
That's what I thought but I think they want me to use an equation of some sort?
It also says 'change in Gibbs energy on moving Δn moles from phase α to phase β is given by ΔG = Δn[μ(β) - μ(α)]'

Christ, I haven't got a clue there, sorry. Thermodynamics not really my strong suit. What level is this?
Original post by The Wavefunction
Christ, I haven't got a clue there, sorry. Thermodynamics not really my strong suit. What level is this?

Oh right no worries, bit of a long shot asking on here to be honest: it's 2nd year undergrad!
Oh right no worries, bit of a long shot asking on here to be honest: it's 2nd year undergrad!

Ah right I'm in my second year too, and I haven't done thermodynamics this year! Starts next week, unfortunately:frown:
Yeah, you'll be lucky to get any answers to anything above A-level on here
At equilibrium, dG/dn = 0 (it's a minimum at equilibrium) so μA - μB = 0, μA = μB
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
what's the difference between gas and vapour?

Quick Reply

Latest