The Student Room Group

Triple Science???

Does not taking Triple Science GCSE put you at a disadvantage when doing A-levels in a science or even UCAS Application / when writing a CV

I got A* in Core Last year [Y10], but regret not taking Triple as i think it would have helped in the future - but idk, so i want other people's opinions?
If you really want to
Take a triple science course and sit the exam or ask if your school offer to sit those kinda of exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope. You can still do all 3 science A levels without taking the full GCSE. For most places, the minimum requirement is a pass in Additional. Though depending on where you are applying entry requirements are different. I'm the same as you, I did core in year 10 and got an A* hopefully going to do Biology and Chemistry for A level :biggrin:

As for understanding the content at A level, I don't think you will be at a disadvantage for not doing the extension topics, perhaps others may have had more practice but I don't think it will make that much difference. After all it is only 1 unit. I have a friend who did double science and got AA in biology and chemistry at A level :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Inspiringvisons
If you really want to
Take a triple science course and sit the exam or ask if your school offer to sit those kinda of exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

Asked if I could sit the terminal 3 exams for Further Additional Science [by learnin g the content myself and sitting the exams with the Triple science group they said no... coz they 'don't run the course' which in my opinion is utter BS
Reply 4
Original post by _ariane29
Nope. You can still do all 3 science A levels without taking the full GCSE. For most places, the minimum requirement is a pass in Additional. Though depending on where you are applying entry requirements are different. I'm the same as you, I did core in year 10 and got an A* hopefully going to do Biology and Chemistry for A level :biggrin:

As for understanding the content at A level, I don't think you will be at a disadvantage for not doing the extension topics, perhaps others may have had more practice but I don't think it will make that much difference. After all it is only 1 unit. I have a friend who did double science and got AA in biology and chemistry at A level :smile:

would employers prefer a science gcse i.e Biology GCSE as opposed to a core/additional
Original post by AN1ASAR
would employers prefer a science gcse i.e Biology GCSE as opposed to a core/additional

I seriously doubt it. Once you have an A Level employers wont want to look at your GCSE's unless it is super competitive.
Reply 6
Original post by _ariane29
I seriously doubt it. Once you have an A Level employers wont want to look at your GCSE's unless it is super competitive.

so its all about A-level results then?
Original post by AN1ASAR
so its all about A-level results then?

GCSE's are the stepping stones to A levels. So when you have a higher qualification in a subject why would unis/employers want to look at a lower one? :smile: (Though of course gcse's are important but not as important once you have A levels)

Quick Reply

Latest