The Student Room Group

Why are so many people's political views so bloody self centered and inconsistent?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reader106
...because it's their political views. I have political views that suit me just fine, what's wrong with that?

I think it's really quite selfish to be honest, but as I've said in a previous post, it doesn't really surprise me too much... still disappointing though.

The inconsistencies in this woman's views however, just boggle my mind.
Original post by TheGuyReturns
I think it's really quite selfish to be honest, but as I've said in a previous post, it doesn't really surprise me too much... still disappointing though.

The inconsistencies in this woman's views however, just boggle my mind.

People are selfish and politics is all about self interest. But maybe selfishness is good and a necessity for a democracy. I get where you're coming from😊
Original post by XcitingStuart
No, gender is a largely social construct, but has biological bases.

Gender doesn't exists. There is only sex.

Gender and sexual orientation are distinctly separate yet correlating things.
I'm sure homosexuality was genetic and epigenetic, as well.

There are also environmental influences. For example children who are sexually abused are significantly more likely to be homosexuals when they mature. This partly explains why homosexuals are disproportionately likely to sexually abuse children. Just as children who are victims of domestic violence are more likely to become violent as they mature.

What's that last part supposed to mean? (In bold.) How does this relate to anything that has been said? How is it relevant?

It is obvious to anyone who seriously analyses human behaviour that there are substantial differences between men and women in terms of physical, mental, emotional, etc. This is before we even look at the scientific studies that consistently show this to be the case.

With the races it is obvious from any objective analysis of history that there are substantive genetic differences between the races. The sub-saharan black african racial groups, for example, didn't have seafaring ships or the wheel or the widespread use of fire when Europeans arrived on their shores 500-600 years ago. Now that we know that blacks have on average 10-15 points lower IQs than Europeans or Chinese and that IQ is 60-80% determined by genetic inheritance, our understanding of why Africa was as it was becomes more clear and obvious.

The reason that this matters and why it is relevant to this thread is because I am pointing out the contradictions of left-wing ideology where homosexuality is asserted as primarily having a genetic origin or where it is considered possible for a transsexual to be born in the "wrong" body but where they think that there are no significant genetic differences between the races or sexes. The reality is that there is far more evidence for significant racial and sexual differences between people than there is for the idea that homosexuality is purely or mostly genetic.
This just in: People only care about themselves.

Up next: TheGuyReturns has eight gems...on HOW MANY posts??? Stay tuned to find out.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
. Now that we know that blacks have on average 10-15 points lower IQs than Europeans or Chinese and that IQ is 60-80% determined by genetic inheritance, our understanding of why Africa was as it was becomes more clear and obvious.

I sincerely doubt the accuracy of that.

However, does anyone still honesty believe that there aren't genetic differences between sex and races though?
Original post by IamJacksContempt
I sincerely doubt the accuracy of that.

However, does anyone still honesty believe that there aren't genetic differences between sex and races though?

x

And where you getting the idea that IQ is mostly determined by genetics rather than Nourishment/nutrition, Child development, Poverty/wealth/economic status, Valued, culture?

After all IQ doesn't actually measure intelligence. It measures development of contemporary academic skills and the general confidence in applying them.

Oh and there's that fact that research shows African ethnic groups in Britain, surpassing white British children in regards to IQ...

http://www.unz.com/article/the-iq-gap-is-no-longer-a-black-and-white-issue/
Original post by Viva Emptiness
TheGuyReturns has eight gems...on HOW MANY posts??? Stay tuned to find out.

8 gems. 3799 rep points in 1385 posts. repp/p ratio 2.74
The contradictions in lefty ideology are so blatant. Its hilarious.

"Gender is a social construct" but homosexuality is genetic and transsexuals really are born in the "wrong" body.

According to lefty logic the only thing that is genetically determined is whether you are gay or not. Not the clearly obvious genetic differences between the races and the sexes.

You're a little behind on that one, that's a really antiquated theory. The latest research indicates that homosexuality in men is caused by low testosterone levels in the mother's womb during critical stages during pregnancy. The same thing is said to cause transgendered behaviour, depending on degree. For women, there's a corresponding condition that causes them to be exposed to too much testosterone and results in a more masculine brain structure.

In other words, the problem isn't in the genes (which are always biologically male or female), it's that their brain development gets screwed up by being exposed to the wrong hormones in the womb. Naturally, the people who know about this research believe that there are biological differences between men and women on average, but that nature makes mistakes occasionally and you get effeminate men and masculine women that can't help being weird because their brains are at least partly structured in a way that corresponds to the opposite gender.

Of course, the people who believe in this stuff are at odds with the people who assert gender is a social construct. Nature vs. nurture is a debate with regards to sex differences. Some feminists believe transgender women are spies working for the patriarchy and that they'll never be real women.

The ideological inconsistencies are a result of actual lack of unity and disagreement between factions.
And where you getting the idea that IQ is mostly determined by genetics rather than Nourishment/nutrition, Child development, Poverty/wealth/economic status, Valued, culture?

It's well known that IQ is mostly hereditary. If it was the case that poverty or wealth determined IQ (rather than reflected IQ) then Europeans would be more intelligent than Chinese on average instead of 5 points lower.

After all IQ doesn't actually measure intelligence. It measures development of contemporary academic skills and the general confidence in applying them.

It's the best measure of intelligence we have and is actually very accurate. The position you are espousing is ideology and not based on the facts on the ground.

Oh and there's that fact that research shows African ethnic groups in Britain, surpassing white British children in regards to IQ...

http://www.unz.com/article/the-iq-gap-is-no-longer-a-black-and-white-issue/

Did you even read beyond the title of this (rather dishonest) article? At no point is there any evidence that Black african IQs taken as a whole are higher than white British IQs. In fact the opposite is true.
Original post by jeremy1988
You're a little behind on that one, that's a really antiquated theory. The latest research indicates that homosexuality in men is caused by low testosterone levels in the mother's womb during critical stages during pregnancy. The same thing is said to cause transgendered behaviour, depending on degree. For women, there's a corresponding condition that causes them to be exposed to too much testosterone and results in a more masculine brain structure.

In other words, the problem isn't in the genes (which are always biologically male or female), it's that their brain development gets screwed up by being exposed to the wrong hormones in the womb. Naturally, the people who know about this research believe that there are biological differences between men and women on average, but that nature makes mistakes occasionally and you get effeminate men and masculine women that can't help being weird because their brains are at least partly structured in a way that corresponds to the opposite gender.

I wasn't saying that position was true. I was saying that is the position or argument that you'll hear from the other side in many cases.

I have heard of this theory that it has to do with hormonal levels. It makes much more sense than the idea that homosexuality is purely genetic. However there is also evidence that environment plays a role (it often does with sexuality) and the picture is probably a combination of both.

Original post by jeremy1988
The ideological inconsistencies are a result of actual lack of unity and disagreement between factions.

There isn't actually that much disagreement between the factions. Most "gender is a social construct" feminists will still say that homosexuality is something you are born. It's not even about the disagreement between factions. These contradictions are common in the minds of a number of lefties.
It's well known that IQ is mostly hereditary. If it was the case that poverty or wealth determined IQ (rather than reflected IQ) then Europeans would be more intelligent than Chinese on average instead of 5 points lower.

It's the best measure of intelligence we have and is actually very accurate. The position you are espousing is ideology and not based on the facts on the ground.

Did you even read beyond the title of this (rather dishonest) article? At no point is there any evidence that Black african IQs taken as a whole are higher than white British IQs. In fact the opposite is true.

Complete pseudo-science nonsense. I like how you're comparing different groups with varying differences between them and simply attributing IQ scores based on one single difference (genetics). No, Europeans shouldn't have a higher IQ that east asians. Why? Read this: http://thethinktankguideforsmarterliving.blogspot.sg/2014/09/i-have-solved-mystery-of-why-asians.html

Accurate in regards to what? http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20121218/iq-test-really-measure-intelligence

'Some very valuable research has been carried out using classical IQ testing. However, IQ is a massive oversimplification of the spectrum of human cognitive ability.”

Do you mind elaborating on how the article was dishonest? Oh and did you even read my post? At which point did I imply that the IQ's were taken as a whole? In fact how is that even possible?

Did your so called research take Africa's IQ as a whole? Or China for that matters? How were they even able to get the average IQ scores of each of the races?
The contradictions in lefty ideology are so blatant. Its hilarious.

"Gender is a social construct" but homosexuality is genetic and transsexuals really are born in the "wrong" body.

According to lefty logic the only thing that is genetically determined is whether you are gay or not. Not the clearly obvious genetic differences between the races and the sexes.

...those are political views? First I'm hearing of it...
Complete pseudo-science nonsense. I like how you're comparing different groups with varying differences between them and simply attributing IQ scores based on one single difference (genetics). No, Europeans shouldn't have a higher IQ that east asians. Why? Read this: http://thethinktankguideforsmarterliving.blogspot.sg/2014/09/i-have-solved-mystery-of-why-asians.html

That was a typo. I meant the other way around.

Accurate in regards to what? http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20121218/iq-test-really-measure-intelligence

'Some very valuable research has been carried out using classical IQ testing. However, IQ is a massive oversimplification of the spectrum of human cognitive ability.”

It doesn't show the whole picture that is correct. That doesn't mean it isn't quite an accurate depiction of intelligence because it is.

Do you mind elaborating on how the article was dishonest? Oh and did you even read my post? At which point did I imply that the IQ's were taken as a whole? In fact how is that even possible?

Did your so called research take Africa's IQ as a whole? Or China for that matters? How were they even able to get the average IQ scores of each of the races?

What you said didn't even make any sense in relation to what the article actually says. If you are trying to prove that blacks don't have lower IQs on average compared to whites or East asians then the article is actually evidence against your case even if the author strawmanned his opponents arguments.

That is just a ridiculous statement to make. Obviously you don't need to score everyone of a racial group when you can score thousands over decades to get an idea of trends.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
...those are political views? First I'm hearing of it...

You must not be very interested in politics to have not heard those statements before.
Original post by TheGuyReturns
The rampancy of this is incredible.

I was looking at the live feed about the student protests on twitter, to gauge the reaction from people about what they thought.

One comment caught my eye and the woman who posted it essentially said that the universities were providing an optional service and students were free to take it or leave it yadda yadda yadda. I clicked on her profile to get a better sense of her political views... of course she was a tory. I then noticed she mentions her husband is a cab driver, so I search her name along with "uber" and sure enough there are endless posts about how bad uber is and why the government should interfere in securing her husband's stranglehold on London's taxiing services. Not for "the market" now is she? Unbelievable.

For balance I'll mention I've also seen some chavs from my secondary school days moan about benefit scroungers and then moaning about some form of benefits being taken away from them not soon after.

It is cognitive dissonance.

All a form of conscious manipulation. People pretend to, or kid themselves, that they hold certain principles when in reality they just adopt any argument that furthers there own "agenda", even if it means defending contradictory view points to do so. Politics is full of it and it is used to manipulate people.

Would you say I am guilty of it? Or am I consistent? :beard:
I wasn't saying that position was true. I was saying that is the position or argument that you'll hear from the other side in many cases.

I have heard of this theory that it has to do with hormonal levels. It makes much more sense than the idea that homosexuality is purely genetic. However there is also evidence that environment plays a role (it often does with sexuality) and the picture is probably a combination of both.

There isn't actually that much disagreement between the factions. Most "gender is a social construct" feminists will still say that homosexuality is something you are born. It's not even about the disagreement between factions. These contradictions are common in the minds of a number of lefties.

Society is a type of environment. If you believe environment can make someone gay why do you so strongly believe it can have no effect on gender identity? That view seems contradictory to me. You appear to be saying being gay may well be a social construct.

Also If being gay is a result of environment and is much more fluid does that make it "right" or "wrong" in your view? I'm not accusing you of this but a lot of people who strongly believe being gay is not genetic or is much more fluid tend to harbor homophobic views and prefer the environment explanation as it makes homosexuality easier and more justifiable to attack in their eyes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Society is a type of environment. If you believe environment can make someone gay why do you so strongly believe it can have no effect on gender identity? That view seems contradictory to me. You appear to be saying being gay is a social construct.

Of course it can have an affect on "gender" identity but that's not the same as what feminists mean by "gender".

I'm not saying that homosexuality is a social construct. That would be stupid. Homosexual behaviour can be found in a number of animal species. I'm saying that environment (in particular childhood sexual abuse) plays a role.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Viva Emptiness
This just in: People only care about themselves.

Which evolutionary speaking produces altruism in humans.

Being biological selfish at a machine code level doesn't mean that, from a squishy human perspective, non selfish behaviors can not manifest at a higher level.
(edited 8 years ago)
You must not be very interested in politics to have not heard those statements before.

Oh I've heard the statements before, but always on the internet and never really in any form of polictical thingamabob

Quick Reply

Latest