The Student Room Group

How much maths does banking and finance involve?

I am just basic at maths and got a C at GCSE
Im not sure what to study next year, how much maths does it really involve and to what extent?
Reply 1
Original post by lolololololololo
Im not sure what to study next year, how much maths does it really involve and to what extent?

Finance and banking are literally numbers. However, I wouldn't say it's only numbers; knowing your theories for relevant policies it's more literacy but when you trying to apply them it becomes numeracy. Personally I don't think GCSE Maths reflects that much even if it's the basic. Because specific sections in Maths are needed for banking and Finance. So you may be really good at calculations but you got C because you didn't want to double check your Area or Volume questions. You should ask people in banking for straight answers :smile:

Maybe retaking Maths could be helpful.
Original post by lolololololololo

IB, finance, banking is nothing really more than basic rudimentary maths (exponents, percentages, ratios, division, multiplication etc). You'll need to understand the 'meaning' behind these numbers more than anything, not necessarily how to crunch them in the most effective way.

Quant finance, derivatives trading etc is where all the heavy duty, PhD level maths comes in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending