The Student Room Group

A levels and work experience for PPE

Hey I'm currently doing
Politics
Maths
Business Studies (sadly it's applied)
ICT (again it's applied but self taught/private)

So I see I don't have the best choices due to my schools blocking system, I chose politics over economics because I thought I could do better in it and because of the system.

For work experience I'm planning to get work experience at a bank in Canada which I'll then use to try and get long term work experience at a bank in the UK, by bank I mean like the big boy stuff not a cashier lol

I'll also be doing an EPQ aimed around politics and economics, between 97'-10' and the impact on today's world.

So let's say I get AAA or possibly A*AA, I do good in my EPQ and get the work experience do You think I'd have a good application to Oxford? Or will my choices make me look bad?
And If im honest I don't have the best GCSE grades but I do think I can do well at A level if I work hard
I've heard that universities may look at both business studies and ICT as two weak subjects, so I would drop one next year. You seem to be doing at lot for both economics and politics, but not so much for philosophy; this can grind some PPE admissions tutors' gears if you don't mention anything to do with philosophy when writing your personal statement next year. It is the hardest subject to find extra curriculars for out of the three, but what I did was enter essay competitions and attended lectures for it. Your banking work experience should be fine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by zayn008
Hey I'm currently doing
Politics
Maths
Business Studies (sadly it's applied)
ICT (again it's applied but self taught/private)

So I see I don't have the best choices due to my schools blocking system, I chose politics over economics because I thought I could do better in it and because of the system.

For work experience I'm planning to get work experience at a bank in Canada which I'll then use to try and get long term work experience at a bank in the UK, by bank I mean like the big boy stuff not a cashier lol

I'll also be doing an EPQ aimed around politics and economics, between 97'-10' and the impact on today's world.

So let's say I get AAA or possibly A*AA, I do good in my EPQ and get the work experience do You think I'd have a good application to Oxford? Or will my choices make me look bad?
And If im honest I don't have the best GCSE grades but I do think I can do well at A level if I work hard

It won't be worth you applying at all to Oxford (or even a Russell Group at all) for two reasons:

- you only have 2 'normal' A-levels and your other two are 'applied' ones. And even if Business and ICT were normal ones, they won't give effective preparation for the course - they prefer facilitating (e.g. History) and respected subjects (e.g. Economics)

- as you say, you don't have the best GCSE grades and they place huge importance on your GCSE grades (people with not so great grades can get in, but they are people who have almost perfect AS results, A2 predictions and are doing subjects which they want you to do)

You'd pretty much have no chance getting into Oxford and a quite small chance at a Russell Group. Sorry if this sounds really harsh, but I'm just trying to give some perspective!
Reply 3
Original post by blackdiamond97
I've heard that universities may look at both business studies and ICT as two weak subjects, so I would drop one next year. You seem to be doing at lot for both economics and politics, but not so much for philosophy; this can grind some PPE admissions tutors' gears if you don't mention anything to do with philosophy when writing your personal statement next year. It is the hardest subject to find extra curriculars for out of the three, but what I did was enter essay competitions and attended lectures for it. Your banking work experience should be fine.

So I've scraped applied ICT and thought i would go ahead with economics as I'm only doing 2 'preferred' subjects, and i have been to 2 lectures on ethnics and do enjoy philosophy as I often get into debates and other stuff involving philosophy but thanks for telling me that because I do regard philosophy as "the other one" in PPE (I'm sure most do) :colondollar:

Do you think having some sort of philosophical content in my EPQ like probably regarding the Iraq War would be good? I'm also entering an essay competition for business but we're allowed an economic title so I went for that, hopefully that goes well but I've been beating myself for ages over taking BS, I just hate the way they've done the system. They're so many Btecs and applied subjects like for a start why offer Applied BS & Btec BS? They should have a CW choice and a non CW choice. I might consider history because I know the teacher would go the extra mile to stay after school and teach me/set me essays and stuff, I'd also get tuition for that
Original post by zayn008
So I've scraped applied ICT and thought i would go ahead with economics as I'm only doing 2 'preferred' subjects, and i have been to 2 lectures on ethnics and do enjoy philosophy as I often get into debates and other stuff involving philosophy but thanks for telling me that because I do regard philosophy as "the other one" in PPE (I'm sure most do) :colondollar:

Do you think having some sort of philosophical content in my EPQ like probably regarding the Iraq War would be good? I'm also entering an essay competition for business but we're allowed an economic title so I went for that, hopefully that goes well but I've been beating myself for ages over taking BS, I just hate the way they've done the system. They're so many Btecs and applied subjects like for a start why offer Applied BS & Btec BS? They should have a CW choice and a non CW choice. I might consider history because I know the teacher would go the extra mile to stay after school and teach me/set me essays and stuff, I'd also get tuition for that

Imo doing the EPQ is a good idea, I wish I did it myself. Philosophical content in the EPQ should definitely be fine; it's a subject that links to politics and if you're applying to study more than one subject, unis like to see that you've considered links between the subjects. I thought Btec and applied BS were the same? Could be wrong.

One other thing - some unis, particularly competitive ones, won't like how you're offering both BS and economics because of how the subjects apparently significantly overlap each other in terms of content. History is a good alternative if it's not too late and you can catch up on things.
Reply 5
Imo doing the EPQ is a good idea, I wish I did it myself. Philosophical content in the EPQ should definitely be fine; it's a subject that links to politics and if you're applying to study more than one subject, unis like to see that you've considered links between the subjects. I thought Btec and applied BS were the same? Could be wrong.

One other thing - some unis, particularly competitive ones, won't like how you're offering both BS and economics because of how the subjects apparently significantly overlap each other in terms of content. History is a good alternative if it's not too late and you can catch up on things.

BTEC Business is a BTEC and comes in different sizes in terms of how many modules you do, from being worth 1 AS level for the certificate, up to being worth 3 A levels for the Extended Diploma

the Applied Business is an A level which can be worth 1 or 2 A levels dependent on whether you do double or single award, essentially it is 2/3rds coursework and 1/3rd exam

I believe they are very similar in content however they are not the same qualification as they are assessed differently and by different boards
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6

I will certainly do that in my EPQ then, thank you and you know what's funny? I tried getting the blocks change so economics moved into the business block because I said unis don't like when people have both so they looked it up but for some reason didn't change the blocks so I went around saying this and I'm the one who's doing both :colondollar: but I will drop business after AS, we're required to be studying at least 3 subjects and private ones don't count. Hopefully my history teacher is free when I have business because then I can drop it and see if she can arrange a 1-2-1 class (my school don't offer history anymore, only as a consortium in a different school)
Reply 7
Original post by yt7777
BTEC Business is a BTEC and comes in different sizes in terms of how many modules you do, from being worth 1 AS level for the certificate, up to being worth 3 A levels for the Extended Diploma

the Applied Business is an A level which can be worth 1 or 2 A levels dependent on whether you do double or single award, essentially it is 2/3rds coursework and 1/3rd exam

I believe they are very similar in content however they are not the same qualification as they are accessed differently and by different boards

So you're better off doing Btec I guess? Applied business is a waste that's probably why it's being discontinued, I'm gonna see if my teacher will change from applied to normal if I'm stuck with it. Very similar content except it's pure exam and he regrets the business he chose for the CW but we can't change it, can't get much information about a private limited business because it's not compulsory for them to publish it, everyone knows that
Original post by yt7777

I believe they are very similar in content however they are not the same qualification as they are assessed differently and by different boards

Is Btec only available by Edexcel?

Original post by zayn008
I will certainly do that in my EPQ then, thank you and you know what's funny? I tried getting the blocks change so economics moved into the business block because I said unis don't like when people have both so they looked it up but for some reason didn't change the blocks so I went around saying this and I'm the one who's doing both :colondollar: but I will drop business after AS, we're required to be studying at least 3 subjects and private ones don't count. Hopefully my history teacher is free when I have business because then I can drop it and see if she can arrange a 1-2-1 class (my school don't offer history anymore, only as a consortium in a different school)

You're welcome :smile: Some unis might let you off regarding the business/economics thing if you explicitly mention your timetabling problems but definitely push forward with the history if you can help it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest