The Student Room Group

I'm A Second Year Biomedical Science Student - AMA!

Hey Guys;

So, title says it all pretty much. Ask me anything you want about the course and I will be happy to answer (assuming I know the answer). =P

A few things about me you may or may not want to know (just incase);

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Im in year 12 and i want to become a teacher afterwards but I don't know which 1 will be better to do biochemistry or biomedical sciences in terms of job availability
Original post by Aman Kaur
Hi Im in year 12 and i want to become a teacher afterwards but I don't know which 1 will be better to do biochemistry or biomedical sciences in terms of job availability

I would look into both the courses in different university specifications. I'm afraid I can't say anything about a Biochemistry course but, Biomedicine is an amazing course and I would strongly recommend it to anyone.
In terms of what's best for a Teacher, I would say if you want to teach Biology AND Chemistry, then Biochemistry might be your better option. However, Biomedical Science offers a larger variety of topics and this is why I chose it because I was far more interested in Biomedicine than Biochemistry due to the prognosis, diagnosis, symptoms, human anatomy and genetics modules plus the pharmacy and chemistry routes (the optional modules I chose this year were Drugs and Disease and Medicinal Chemistry).

Link to my uni course:
http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/C980

So, while I do want to teach both Bio and Chem, I think my optional module choices will allow me the option to do so because I plan on splitting my degree as evenly between Bio and Chem as I can.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

So, title says it all pretty much. Ask me anything you want about the course and I will be happy to answer (assuming I know the answer). =P

A few things about me you may or may not want to know (just incase);

Spoiler

Hey, I'm a second year biology student wanting to become a teacher so not far off :biggrin: What years would you like to teach? Why do you want to teach? What are your favourite areas of biomed? What uni are you at? :smile:
Original post by Munrot07
Hey, I'm a second year biology student wanting to become a teacher so not far off :biggrin: What years would you like to teach? Why do you want to teach? What are your favourite areas of biomed? What uni are you at? :smile:

Ideally I would like to teach the ages of 14-18 (I know this can be the age which teachers dread teaching but, I really enjoy teaching in general and I don't like dealing with too young kids (essentially any younger than 11)).

Why do I want to be a teacher?
Ever since Sixth Form, I found enjoyment in teaching others things if they don't understand something about a subject and I think, if I can get a job as something I love doing, why not do it and get paid at the same time?

Favourite areas?
Last year in Anatomy and Physiology, we had a human anatomy practical where people who willingly donated their bodies to science educational purposes were bought in (in pieces, i.e. groin, hip, upper leg etc...), I know this sounds grim but I did enjoy learning about the anatomy of the human body through this method.
I also enjoyed the Pathophysiology of Disease module which was basically A LOT of diagnosis (similar to this year's module "Studies in the Biology of Disease"). So we learned how to diagnose liver disease, renal disease, UTIs etc...

So, I enjoy the course completely overall except one aspect, Microbiology, I find it REALLY boring...

I am at UWE. =)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending