The Student Room Group

New York girl living in Britain AMA !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by i<3milkshake
Howcome? Also this Christmas do you call them Father Christmas or Santa?:tongue:

Santa!
Original post by MadeInNewYork
Santa!

No!!!:frown:

When you play Monopoly at Christmas do you use the English version with the English places or the American version?
Original post by i<3milkshake
No!!!:frown:

When you play Monopoly at Christmas do you use the English version with the English places or the American version?

I don't play monopoly
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I've never been to NYC. I think London can be really overrated and overpriced but then it does have variety. I think they say NYC is safer now. I'm probably in a minority here, but I prefer Paris to London, much more inspiring and it feels intimate whilst still being really big and having loads to explore.

Agreed that it is really overpriced, but I personally love London over NYC and Paris. I found the people and the conditions in Paris and NYC too similar. This may be strange but Berlin is probably my second favorite place next to London lol
Original post by grvcex97
Agreed that it is really overpriced, but I personally love London over NYC and Paris. I found the people and the conditions in Paris and NYC too similar. This may be strange but Berlin is probably my second favorite place next to London lol

Never been to Berlin. Similar NYC and Paris, wow, that does surprise me.....
Would like to go to Barcelona also, it looks pretty special.
Reply 85
Do you know what a sausage roll is?
Do you prefer New York's street names to not be named after numbers?
I've heard that Americans have never heard of the Sausage Roll before, only recently!
They need a visit to Greggs ASAP!
How tall are you?
In terms of height, are the people of America taller or shorter than the British Population?
Why is every girl in New York an Au Pair? It's VERY frustrating.
Reply 90
Original post by pereira325
Stop trolling and taking the mickey. That is just rude.
Back to OP:
Okay, I have a few questions. If it is of any contextual help, I have foreign parents, but i am british(born here) and live in south london, but hey ive been around, and i am also 17, in sixth form.
How well did you do in your gcses last summer? Would you, based on a greater knowledge than I on American schooling, argue that gcses are easier or vice versa?
My friend wants to go apply for aeronautical engineering at MIT, are the chances really lower than something like Imperial in the Uk? Would/are you considering going back to New York/America for future studies or a job?
Also in relation to transport. Why exactly is it that you prefer the Britiah system? (I am completely ignorant of how american systems are/NY) but I find the tube/underground is severely congested a lot the time... literally squishing in on every train especially on the main lines (which i dont know lol) but i.e jubilee/northern. Same with inter city trains i.e overground which are often packed. And buses too, which are often full up- everyone standing up right till the front door! Anyone else has to wait for the next.
Also, i love london, but do you find it safer in NY or here? Since its really dark here now.. after 4-5pm with winter, it feels quite gloomy and scary perhaps? I dont know my point but take this question in whatever way :smile:
Thanks, T

I suggest you check my community record before getting outa line.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
I have a new york accent :tongue:

Is it just me or is everyone else reading her posts in an american accent lmao??
Hey everyone !

Just joined this forum, a friend told me about it so thought I'd give it a try ! :biggrin:

Thought I'd make an AMA so I can get to know people here and hopefully you people can get to know me, and hopefully make some new friends :smile:

So I live in Britain and have been since I was 10.

Ask away !

You have a cool accent lol.
Reply 93
Original post by yung7up
Is it just me or is everyone else reading her posts in an american accent lmao??

I'm trying to but it's like....."im from new yoiiik and I like cawwfeee" i can't really imagine a new york accent tbh.
Reply 94
Original post by JD1lla
I'm trying to but it's like....."im from new yoiiik and I like cawwfeee" i can't really imagine a new york accent tbh.

Just talk in a slow patronising voice, extending each word to the max and add a few "dudes" = sorted. I have a killer american accent and can also laugh in french
Reply 95
Original post by yung7up
Just talk in a slow patronising voice, extending each word to the max and add a few "dudes" = sorted. I have a killer american accent and can also laugh in french

Laugh in french...

That's ridiculous, you cant laugh in an accent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by Souljer
Laugh in french...

That's ridiculous, you cant laugh in an accent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I can just you listen..

hahahahsnailshhahahahabaguettehahahaparishaha

Its ok i'll wait for the apology #timeismoneysobequick
I have not been through american schooling! I can not answer most of these comparison questions since I moved to the UK when I was 10, why before I had to sit any meaningful exams.
Be happy with what transport you have in London, because I can tell you it's the best in the world. Yeah it can get really busy at peak hours but that's with any city that's busy.
I like the winter and night time so I'm not complaining about the short days.

Gee, everyone likes the snow and christmad which is part of the deal of winter and dark nights, but getting a cold/flu is a pain in the neck haha. Summer over winter 100%! English summers are perfect imo, not too hot but not too cold :smile:
If this transport is the best in the world.. shoot me right now lol, i got nothing to look forward to :h:. Mind that crossrail looks interesting. On the topic of rail/engineering, what do you know about the "hyperloop" project? Its American!!
Original post by Souljer
I suggest you check my community record before getting outa line.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me and getting out of line. Sorry for being offtopic here to everyone else, but who are you. I dont care who you are or what your record is. Your post was by some nature standard, hence i said what i said, and i stand by it.(on mobile so cant look back) , so bye.

Also new q) what phone do you have OP? Are you an apple t3chie or just neutral. Unintentionally sexist but i notice most girls dont care too much about technology and just stick with iphones. Guys are different.. jailbreaking, shokt me down, geniune question :smile:
//
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest