The Student Room Group

Demisexuality

Is demisexuality a sexuality? Or is it more of an add-on sexuality because I've thought sexuality is who (sex-wise) you're attracted but demisexuality doesn't state who they are attracted so are they like all pansexuals or do you get hetero demisexuals because really it's only describing when you're attracted to someone
I am a demisexual :h: and ofc heteros can be demisexual as well
Original post by driftawaay
I am a demisexual :h: and ofc heteros can be demisexual as well

I acknowledge demisexuals but just confused why the -sexual bit is on there. It isn't really to do with who you're attracted to. Shouldn't it be like, demiromantic or whatever is there even a difference between demiromantic and demisexual?
Original post by eternaforest
I acknowledge demisexuals but just confused why the -sexual bit is on there. It isn't really to do with who you're attracted to. Shouldn't it be like, demiromantic or whatever is there even a difference between demiromantic and demisexual?

Tbh I havent thought of it in much detail. I dont think being only attracted to people that u have an emotional connection to needs to have a particular label. Nobody really identifies as demisexual aside from tumblr kids. It really isnt that deep :tongue: Its just internet kids making up a label for everything these days, which is annoying. Cant wait for 'blondesexual' ad 'asiansexual' coming to ur tumblr feed in 2016.
Reply 4
Demisexuality is a branch of asexuality and just specifies that you only become attracted to people when you have an emotional connection with someone, which is not to be mistaken for not having sex outside of a relationship or with some random stranger, it is a complete lack of sexual attraction to anyone until you become emotionally connected with them and only then will you be able to feel attraction to them (but that doesnt mean you will feel attracted to everyone you have a deep emotional bond with)

And yes, you can get straight demisexuals as there are many different types of attraction, and someone who is asexual, such as myself, can feel romantic attraction etc and thus be attracted to someone in a way that is not inherently sexual. so basically sexual just is a term for who you are attracted to and romantic is just a term for who you fall in love with
Original post by Xenobee
Demisexuality is a branch of asexuality and just specifies that you only become attracted to people when you have an emotional connection with someone, which is not to be mistaken for not having sex outside of a relationship or with some random stranger, it is a complete lack of sexual attraction to anyone until you become emotionally connected with them and only then will you be able to feel attraction to them (but that doesnt mean you will feel attracted to everyone you have a deep emotional bond with)

And yes, you can get straight demisexuals as there are many different types of attraction, and someone who is asexual, such as myself, can feel romantic attraction etc and thus be attracted to someone in a way that is not inherently sexual. so basically sexual just is a term for who you are attracted to and romantic is just a term for who you fall in love with

Cheers this is the best someone has put it. It does make more sense now although if I was straight demisexual I would still just say I'm straight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah , another sexuality?
in simpleeeeee terrms

demiromantic = you can only harbour romantic feelings towards someone when you get attached to them

demisexuality = you can only feel sexual attraction towards someone when you get attached to them

i didnt realise i was demisexual for a looong time haha
Reply 8
Original post by eternaforest
Cheers this is the best someone has put it. It does make more sense now although if I was straight demisexual I would still just say I'm straight

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey no problem and yeah many people i know who are on the ace spectrum but tend to fall in love with the opposite sex just identify as straight, though i think that sometimes its not very good to do that cos no one takes you seriously when you do identify as your sexuality, anyway im glad you could understand what i was saying, it can be a very confusing topic so i do like to try and be as short to the point as possible,
Reply 9
I think I might be a demisexual, but I'm also straight in that I'm only attracted to girls. Logically I'm sure there are also gay and bi demisexuals. So I think it's an add-on rather than a type of sexuality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending