The Student Room Group

Bristol Theoretical Physics IoP Accreditation

For the MSci Theoretical Physics course, Bristol's website says:

"Note that as a new programme this degree is yet to be accredited by the Institute of Physics."

I have several main questions regarding accreditation:
Firstly, how important is becoming a Chartered Physicist? Is it key for scientific jobs, and what do other employers think of it?
Secondly, do you think the Bristol course will be accredited and if so, how soon?
Finally, if it becomes accredited mid way through my degree would I get accreditation?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
bump
Original post by TheBride
For the MSci Theoretical Physics course, Bristol's website says:

"Note that as a new programme this degree is yet to be accredited by the Institute of Physics."

I have several main questions regarding accreditation:
Firstly, how important is becoming a Chartered Physicist? Is it key for scientific jobs, and what do other employers think of it?
Secondly, do you think the Bristol course will be accredited and if so, how soon?
Finally, if it becomes accredited mid way through my degree would I get accreditation?

Thanks in advance

Don't worry about it.

If you become a working physicist you'll need a Phd. Your undergrad is only useful (from a qualifications point of view) in order to get you onto a Phd program. Once you're studying for your doctorate the accreditation status of your undergrad (and everything else about it) will become irrelevant. Also bear in mind that people go onto do Phds in physics after studying maths/chemistry/engineering at undergrad.

The only issue I can see is if you were to be hired in industry directly after your undergrad by a company requiring an IoP accredited undergraddegree, but I think that it's far more likely that they would require a PhD.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheBride
Ok, thank you for replying : )

In the end I applied for the joint honours maths/physics course anyway, to give a better grounding in both subjects

I see you have applied for Maths and Physics instead (good choice!) but I'd thought I would let anyone else know who is interested in this course that IOP accreditation will be validated by the time you graduate.

The only reason why its not the case at the moment is that the course is so brand new that the paper work hasn't been finished. Seeing as the course is essentially the normal MSci Physics course with compulsary theoretical modules thrown in I find it hard to believe the course would ever not receive IOP accreditation. To be honest all the different degrees such as Physics with astro / theoretical physics etc... are just option choices and as such you could be doing straight physics - choose all the theory options and then graduate with a theoretical physics degree.

If you have any questions with regards to any of the courses / life within either the Physics or Mathematics department just sent me a message as I spent a lot of time in both !.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending