The Student Room Group

OCR A - Biology A Level (2015 new specification)

Thought I'd start a subject specific thread for study/homework help, tips and anything related 😊
What textbook do you guys use? I use the CGP one and I think it's rather good!
I use Ocr A Level biology Oxford by Ann Fullick
Reply 3
Original post by Adeel Ali
What textbook do you guys use? I use the CGP one and I think it's rather good!

Original post by |Incognizant|
I use Ocr A Level biology Oxford by Ann Fullick

I use the Ann Fullick one as well :smile: I don't think it's very good though tbh. I have to keep referring to the actual specification on the ocr website to make sure I'm learning what I'm actually supposed to. They add in a lot of contextual information that is only worth reading but not worth memorising.

Anyone agree?
Reply 4
I'm guessing many people don't take ocr biology from the lack of response?
Original post by MsDanderson
I'm guessing many people don't take ocr biology from the lack of response?

Lol. I'm finding the course very content heavy.. Lot's of memorising to be done.
The Anna Fullick book has several mistakes according to my teacher, so be careful when reading it and always keep a copy of the spec next to you while revising. Also the things in the purple box under extension are there as further reading material to get you that A.
I use the Ann Fullick one as well :smile: I don't think it's very good though tbh. I have to keep referring to the actual specification on the ocr website to make sure I'm learning what I'm actually supposed to. They add in a lot of contextual information that is only worth reading but not worth memorising.

Anyone agree?

I find the book Fairly concise, in the contents page it highlights the aspects of the book; what do you need to know in the specification. Thus, i only use the required information which undergoes in the specification. That being said, its important to actually learn the content rather than memorizing it, memorizing can only get you so far, its the applying of knowledge which will get you the A (echolalia by my teacher). However, i agree it is tiring when finding key points of a topic; i suggest watching videos :smile:! Good Luck
Reply 8
Original post by Adeel Ali
Lol. I'm finding the course very content heavy.. Lot's of memorising to be done.

Tell me about it! Which chapter are you on atm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by |Incognizant|
I find the book Fairly concise, in the contents page it highlights the aspects of the book; what do you need to know in the specification. Thus, i only use the required information which undergoes in the specification. That being said, its important to actually learn the content rather than memorizing it, memorizing can only get you so far, its the applying of knowledge which will get you the A (echolalia by my teacher). However, i agree it is tiring when finding key points of a topic; i suggest watching videos :smile:! Good Luck

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone else find it interesting how this spec requires you to remember numbers for magnification and resolution?
Reply 11
How do you guys memorise the content or even revise it? I find just simply using the textbook unhelpful also I don't always have time to make dedicated flash cards for every little detail. Just some good revision tips would be highly appreciated!
Original post by Pingu88
How do you guys memorise the content or even revise it? I find just simply using the textbook unhelpful also I don't always have time to make dedicated flash cards for every little detail. Just some good revision tips would be highly appreciated!

Which text book do you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Which text book do you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its called A level Biology for OCR, year 1 and AS by Ann Fullick
Original post by Pingu88
Its called A level Biology for OCR, year 1 and AS by Ann Fullick

Depends if you're an audio or visual learner. If you don't know, trial and error?

I use the same book. My advice is, don't make flash cards on every single detail. Only make flash cards on things deemed learning by the specification. If your flash cards are still too lengthy, just remember it is worth it! Posters also help to visually map all your ideas that make better sense to you! These methods have all helped me so far and I am yet to get lower than an A grade :smile:

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Depends if you're an audio or visual learner. If you don't know, trial and error?

I use the same book. My advice is, don't make flash cards on every single detail. Only make flash cards on things deemed learning by the specification. If your flash cards are still too lengthy, just remember it is worth it! Posters also help to visually map all your ideas that make better sense to you! These methods have all helped me so far and I am yet to get lower than an A grade :smile:

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok I'll definitely take your advice on board, it's actually very helpful to get a third party's opinion so thanks very much!
Woooow, I wish I was at an A grade standard! I seem to do well on the recall questions yet the application questions always trip me up, just need to put some extra time and effort it...

Are you in your first year of biology?
Original post by Pingu88
Ok I'll definitely take your advice on board, it's actually very helpful to get a third party's opinion so thanks very much!
Woooow, I wish I was at an A grade standard! I seem to do well on the recall questions yet the application questions always trip me up, just need to put some extra time and effort it...

Are you in your first year of biology?

No problem!

Yes I'm in my first. Great thing about the new spec is that we all are :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
heyy guyss
can someone send me the link of ocr biology sepcification because i cant find it
Hey does any one want to team up with me in creating flashcards which contains past papers questions with the mark scheme at the back?I am doing this because after researching, to get an A, they say PAST PAPERS and memorise the mark scheme so i am doing just that, with additional notes. But i want to finish before resumption so everything is set for exam use.Anyone? i have already started (cram.com: FLorenceAshaye) just what someone to help?Florence

Quick Reply

Latest