The Student Room Group

Going to the uni just for the life, is it worth it?

Now i know the usual answer to this would be no. but i think In my situation in may be different. I'm nearly 20.

I'm not going to lie I hated school with a passion, i am the laziest guy you'll meet and there is no course that i think will interest me. I did fairly well in school because i was smart despite not caring for grades or work. I know many people hate people like me and i wish I was more hard working but it's who i am.

My problem is I'm just bored of life. I have bad social anxiety, I have a small group of friends who I see often but we never interact with outsiders - ever. All we do is go to the pub on a friday every week and that's it. I hate my job, it's an admin job in an office with no people my age and i do nothing productive at all.

I feel one year at uni would change me, I'd have a good time, I'd grow in confidence, I'd experience new things and most importantly meet new people. Right now i am going nowhere. I have only had one sort of relationship but she eventually told me I was friendzoned basically and now we hate each other. I liked her because she was like me but even she has now found a guy who shes sexually active with and having amazing memories with. Meanwhile I'm a virgin in job I hate with doing the same thing week in week out with no real memories.

I need to change something and whilst I know uni is expensive and if i don't come out with a degree many would argue a waste of time, but for me the life experience could be priceless.

what do you think?

Scroll to see replies

uni is nothing compared to what you really want to do (which is?)
Personally, i think getting into 17k debt for just one year of uni for the "life" is a massive waste if you re not going to get a degree whilst you re there (not just a waste for yourself but its not putting government money to good use whatsoever).
Although university does cause people to change, I ve met third years who could barely cook or manage their money still, its you making the choice that would change you, not the university experience itself.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Personally, i think getting into 17k debt for just one year of uni for the "life" is a massive waste if you re not going to get a degree whilst you re there (not just a waste for yourself but its not putting government money to good use whatsoever).
Although university does cause people to change, I ve met third years who could barely cook or manage their money still, its you making the choice that would change you, not the university experience itself.

thing is though If you ask me for the best time of my life right now I'd say when i was a kid and would go out and play everyday with my friends in the summer. Since then I've had the odd good few weeks and that's it. I need some stories to remember, and to build some confidence rather than learn how to cook or manage my money which i can already do i think.
I don't think that's a good idea. It costs a lot, and it's difficult to get into uni in the first place - they're not going to accept your application if you clearly have no passion for the subject you're applying for. Also, it's not a walk in the park, you do have classes and exams.
I suggest you do some voluntary roles instead. Volunteer somewhere which interests you, doing a role which interests you. Volunteering is free, good for your CV (better than 1 year of uni with no degree) and you'll meet tonnes of new people
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
uni is nothing compared to what you really want to do (which is?)

I have no idea, that's the problem. I just what to get out there and experience the world and create memories which i won't do stuck in the same pub with the same friends or in my bed playing my PS4
Reply 6
Original post by Riverstar
I don't think that's a good idea. It costs a lot, and it's difficult to get into uni in the first place - they're not going to accept your application if you clearly have no passion for the subject you're applying for. Also, it's not a walk in the park, you do have classes and exams.
I suggest you do some voluntary roles instead. Volunteer somewhere which interests you, doing a role which interests you. Volunteering is free, good for your CV (better than 1 year of uni with no degree) and you'll meet tonnes of new people

I have enough grades to get in and i think i have a good enough case to do business studies. I got my best grade in economics at A Level, I've got a little investment strategy going and want to learn more about that to further it.

maybe something like volunteering would be better. It's just as I say i have bad Social anxiety and it takes me a while to get comfortable around people.
Start a business or something with the £17k you're thinking of throwing out the window!
Original post by d0mm
thing is though If you ask me for the best time of my life right now I'd say when i was a kid and would go out and play everyday with my friends in the summer. Since then I've had the odd good few weeks and that's it. I need some stories to remember, and to build some confidence rather than learn how to cook or manage my money which i can already do i think.

The thing is, is that although it could be harder you could more cheaply make more friends and good memories without going to university.
There's no guarantee that it will be the time of your life as yes many people might say it is but then there are many people that end up dropping out of university at the same time (Personally, for me university has always been about getting a career out of it, and not much else really)
Reply 9
I may be in the minority here, but as someone who didn't start a degree until I was 24 and married with 3 children, I'd say do it. I do wish I had done it earlier and had the experience of living in halls and in shared houses, with little responsibility; you only get that opportunity for a brief period so why not take it. However I would say you should probably at least try to find something your interested in as it's an awful lot of money for some fun, but having a degree will benefit you later.

If you really aren't interested in the degree part of it, why not save and go travelling instead, it's likely to have a similar effect in allowing you to experience new things and grow as a person
No, obviously not.

What I would suggest is a 'gap' year. Go travelling. Get wasted in Cambodia. Teach English in Nepal. Climb Kilimanjaro. Dive the Great Barrier Reef. It'll broaden your horizons, get you out of your comfort zone and force you to try new things. Maybe it'll lead to a 'eureka' moment, maybe it won't. What it will do is add to your experiences and maybe help you find a new direction in your life. Good luck!
Reply 11
Universities are there for education to make something out of life with courses you want to pursue and get career in one. If you want to go to uni just for fun there's better option like going to a trip around the world. Work for it. You will learn and experience much more. University is not for fun or life you're missing out the stress the pressure to do your best in studies. It's not fun parties. And you end up with loans how fun is that. I'm sorry about your relationship side but you need to seriously figure what you want to do with your life. And you have to put effort. You seem very dissatisfied with your current situation so if you do not change create a goal for your self you could just go uni but end right back where you are to square one. Think what you want where you want to be how high in life you want to shoot for be prepared to put the effort to reach there. Answer is yes uni will change you you will be confident and experience adulthood better but uni also comes with choosing a career path you're aiming for a subject you enjoy and are passionate about. Till you find that subject that'll make you motivated keep looking researching it's out there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by d0mm
I have enough grades to get in and i think i have a good enough case to do business studies. I got my best grade in economics at A Level, I've got a little investment strategy going and want to learn more about that to further it.

maybe something like volunteering would be better. It's just as I say i have bad Social anxiety and it takes me a while to get comfortable around people.

So you're saying that you'd like to go to uni to learn more about business? Would you do a degree in that and be dedicated enough to stick it out for 3 or 4 years? If you can, that's great that you've found something you're interested in.

I have awful anxiety too, I completely understand the difficulties. However, sadly uni isn't easy and you could end up in halls with a group of people you simply don't feel comfortable around
Original post by d0mm
Now i know the usual answer to this would be no. but i think In my situation in may be different. I'm nearly 20.

I'm not going to lie I hated school with a passion, i am the laziest guy you'll meet and there is no course that i think will interest me. I did fairly well in school because i was smart despite not caring for grades or work. I know many people hate people like me and i wish I was more hard working but it's who i am.

My problem is I'm just bored of life. I have bad social anxiety, I have a small group of friends who I see often but we never interact with outsiders - ever. All we do is go to the pub on a friday every week and that's it. I hate my job, it's an admin job in an office with no people my age and i do nothing productive at all.

I feel one year at uni would change me, I'd have a good time, I'd grow in confidence, I'd experience new things and most importantly meet new people. Right now i am going nowhere. I have only had one sort of relationship but she eventually told me I was friendzoned basically and now we hate each other. I liked her because she was like me but even she has now found a guy who shes sexually active with and having amazing memories with. Meanwhile I'm a virgin in job I hate with doing the same thing week in week out with no real memories.

I need to change something and whilst I know uni is expensive and if i don't come out with a degree many would argue a waste of time, but for me the life experience could be priceless.

what do you think?

You said something about being lazy.That will bring you into a mess. Uni is about working independently, so even though you don't want to stay on, failing all your modules because of laziness doesn't sound like a good plan either. I'm not saying your lazy, I'm sure you're not as bad as you think you are.
If u have alot of money, then sure the Xperience will be awesome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll go against the trend and say it might be a good idea in your situation. You are clearly stuck in a rut and need something that will shake you out of it and uni might do that but you will have to take some real steps to make sure you don't get stuck in a rut at uni as well - as it does happen.

If you are fairly bright but been lazy then you will just have to discipline yourself to study and be motivated to succeed. Getting a good standard degree will open up better job prospects and good jobs open up more social prospects too. This is something I never really appreciated when I was at school/college, but when you are in your mid 20s and beyond having a good job is such a boost to the social life - you get to meet loads of new people, you might get to travel, you get to network and get invited to events just all round it is miles better than being stuck in the same town in the same pub week after week.

Also you will have to be realistic about what uni is and what it isn't. If you have social anxiety and are not confident with women then uni is not going to be a shag fest. You may over time meet someone but you will have to accept that the people that are more experienced and confident are going to be getting off with each other and you may be on the outer of that so you have to be able to be chilled about that and say look I'm coming here to improve my life over the long term, there's no magic pill through just going to uni.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I'll go against the trend and say it might be a good idea in your situation. You are clearly stuck in a rut and need something that will shake you out of it and uni might do that but you will have to take some real steps to make sure you don't get stuck in a rut at uni as well - as it does happen.

If you are fairly bright but been lazy then you will just have to discipline yourself to study and be motivated to succeed. Getting a good standard degree will open up better job prospects and good jobs open up more social prospects too. This is something I never really appreciated when I was at school/college, but when you are in your mid 20s and beyond having a good job is such a boost to the social life - you get to meet loads of new people, you might get to travel, you get to network and get invited to events just all round it is miles better than being stuck in the same town in the same pub week after week.

Also you will have to be realistic about what uni is and what it isn't. If you have social anxiety and are not confident with women then uni is not going to be a shag fest. You may over time meet someone but you will have to accept that the people that are more experienced and confident are going to be getting off with each other and you may be on the outer of that so you have to be able to be chilled about that and say look I'm coming here to improve my life over the long term, there's no magic pill through just going to uni.

:party:
Original post by d0mm

what do you think?

Go for it. If you're not happy with your life and your personality, you will never have a better opportunity to reinvent yourself as the kind of person you would like to be. There are so many success stories of people who didn't have a great social life in their home town coming to uni and totally throwing themselves into in and reinventing themselves. After a few months of ferociously blagging it, all that fake confidence has turned into real confidence and they never look back.

Personality is 90% habit. Break the bad habits, rebuild your personality. Hang around with cool, confident, popular people and learn from them.
Original post by d0mm

what do you think?

notmally would say its stupid but being in ur shoes tbh it will be a new great experience which could spark more optimism in the future for u as u will meet people and leave better qualified and enjoy yourself and have a great long break from the boring life u seem to feel ur living so if i was in ur shoes id defo go
if u decide to go tell me how it goes
OP you say you're lazy and you have no passion for any particular course. That's enough to say going to uni, at this moment in time, is a bad idea. If you don't enjoy a subject it'll be even harder to study it for 3 years, especially if you can't motivate yourself to study in the first place.

There are easier, quicker and cheaper ways to develop some confidence and meet new people than going to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending