The Student Room Group

Is there even a point to get diagnosed with adhd?

I am 19 and I have never gone to the GP to get diagnosed with ADHD although I have a lot of the symptoms. A few months ago I truly was considering going to a GP about it but A-Levels got in the way. Now I don't know if it's worth it anymore. The consultation will cost a lot and I'm just a UNI student trying to get by...is this really bad if I don't get checked out?
Original post by Anonymous
I am 19 and I have never gone to the GP to get diagnosed with ADHD although I have a lot of the symptoms. A few months ago I truly was considering going to a GP about it but A-Levels got in the way. Now I don't know if it's worth it anymore. The consultation will cost a lot and I'm just a UNI student trying to get by...is this really bad if I don't get checked out?

If you think an ADHD diagnosis would benefit you in uni, I would go and speak to your GP because you may be able to be seen on the NHS.
A diagnosis of ADHD is life-changing, it allows you to get access to University disability accommodations like extra time in exams etc.

You will also get medication (if necessary) which will change your life guaranteed because of its effectiveness at eliminating ADHD symptoms.

The only downside is the very long wait times for treatment. I suggest going to your GP asap and asking for a referral under “Right to Choose” search it on reddit. You don’t want to be put on the NHS waiting list as that is usually years long.

You may not have ADHD, but if you do a diagnosis is 100% worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest