The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

I recieved an offer to study Economics at Warwick today having only just sent in my application this morning. I don't have flawless grades from GCSE to AS so does this suggest that my PS and reference are strong (and were they even considered)?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1141
Hello, I have 2 questions:
I due to a few problems, didn't do so well in AS, ended up with CCCE at AS this year ( I did Maths, F- Maths, Economics and Physics respectively). Now due to my failure/low grades, I missed my chance of getting an A* in Maths as I did not average 90% in C3/C4 so I will be retaking them, is that fine? And also are gap years looked down upon? As I plan on applying after my A2s are over (so during this time next year)( I will have about 14 exams including AS retakes this year) as if currently applied with CCCE I definitely would not get accepted. So just wanted to know if my plan is okay.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ecconomist
I recieved an offer to study Economics at Warwick today having only just sent in my application this morning. I don't have flawless grades from GCSE to AS so does this suggest that my PS and reference are strong (and were they even considered)?

What were your AS results and A2 predictions? If you don't mind me asking. Thanks!
Still no offer after applying on the 15th for Economics, should I be stressing out yet?
Original post by Haderz
Still no offer after applying on the 15th for Economics, should I be stressing out yet?

I'm in the same boat as you. I think from about the 13th, Warwick stopped giving out econ offers so don't worry. They probably just have a lot of applications to sort through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What kind of careers are u guys looking to go into after uni?
Original post by Haderz

Original post by icecreamcake
I'm in the same boat as you. I think from about the 13th, Warwick stopped giving out econ offers so don't worry. They probably just have a lot of applications to sort through.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, nothing to worry about. Warwick are notoriously slow when it comes to econ offers. I applied on the 14th October last year and had to wait until mid March before getting a response.
Original post by Don Joiner
GCSE: 10A*s

AS: AAA in Maths,Geography and French (Economics is linear course so no AS)
Maths UMS 93

A2 predicted A*A*A + a in AS further maths

*note I'm only doing Further Maths to AS as picking up in year 13

Do you think I would stand a good chance for Warwick Economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Don Joiner. You have a good academic profile and the requisite subjects for Economics at Warwick which would stand you in good stead should you choose to apply. Obviously no offer is ever guaranteed as it will depend on the nature of the competition from year to year.
Original post by icecreamcake
Does Warwick ask for any UMS modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi icecreamcake. We do not ask for specific UMS modules or grades as we look at your whole academic profile.
Original post by raahimaziz
Hi,

I have done six Maths modules in Year 12, allowing me to achieve a full A level in Maths (although the A2 modules will not be cashed in until Year 13).
I have two questions regarding this:

1) I achieved a grade A, would this be good enough for BSc Economics?
2) If I choose to resit two modules (C3 and C4) to try and get an A*, would it place my application at a serious disadvantage?

Thank you.

Hello

For the BSc Economics we require A*AA and you should have at least a grade A in A Level Maths - your grade would therefore meet our requirements in this respect. With regards to resits, you should always bear in mind that you could be competing against students who have achieved the same grade in one sitting.
Original post by Nirm
Hello, I have 2 questions:
I due to a few problems, didn't do so well in AS, ended up with CCCE at AS this year ( I did Maths, F- Maths, Economics and Physics respectively). Now due to my failure/low grades, I missed my chance of getting an A* in Maths as I did not average 90% in C3/C4 so I will be retaking them, is that fine? And also are gap years looked down upon? As I plan on applying after my A2s are over (so during this time next year)( I will have about 14 exams including AS retakes this year) as if currently applied with CCCE I definitely would not get accepted. So just wanted to know if my plan is okay.

Hi Nirm

This would put you at a slight disadvantage, unfortunately. Although you may achieve good grades after resitting, there is no guarantee that you will receive an offer and you should be aware that you will be competing in a pool of students who are all, in the majority, predicted to meet our entry requirements at one sitting, without doing re-takes.

If there are extenuating circumstances which explain your first year performance, you could flag these up with Undergraduate Admissions ([email protected]), who would be able to give you further guidance on this.
Hi, I applied on the 15th of October and have still not heard back, should I be worried or is the applications just taking longer than other subjects (Warwick is very fast this year with offers).

Thanks!
Original post by Haderz
Hi, I applied on the 15th of October and have still not heard back, should I be worried or is the applications just taking longer than other subjects (Warwick is very fast this year with offers).

Thanks!

Hi Haderz. We receive a lot of applications which means there can be delays at peak times of the year. If you haven't heard back from us just yet, it is probably because of this and we will be in touch as soon as we can once a decision has been made.
I've just seen that you really highly regard GCSEs and I don't have bad GCSEs, they're mostly A*s and a couple of As but I went to a failing high school soI did well considering the school's average performance, do you look at GCSEs in context at all?
I've just heard that Warwick highly regard GCSE's. Considering I got 5A*s and good enough A-Levels above the standard offer would i still get rejected?
Would Maths, Further Maths AS, Economics and Geography be good selection of A levels for Economics at Warwick?

Many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are the grade and subject requirements for Finnish students taking the Ylioppilastutkinto? Info about the qualification: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matriculation_exam_(Finland)

The requirements listed on your website are very vague.

For reference, The University of Oxford usually asks for grades of LLEE from Finnish applicants wishing to apply to their courses (L=Laudatur/7 and E=Eximia Cum Laude Approbatur/6). Are your requirements of similar level for the Economics and other social sciences?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I applied to do EPIS at Warwick quite a while ago, and I was wondering if I should be worried? Also if anyone else has received an offer for EPIS. Thanks
Hey, I was wondering if you know when the next round of economics offers/rejections will be sent out this year? Thanks X
Original post by fionax0
I've just seen that you really highly regard GCSEs and I don't have bad GCSEs, they're mostly A*s and a couple of As but I went to a failing high school soI did well considering the school's average performance, do you look at GCSEs in context at all?

Hello - we do take context dependent information into consideration as part of the complete application when deciding whether to make offers, but you should note that all offers are still made at A*AA.

Quick Reply

Latest