The Student Room Group

Should we abolish the Monarchy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by paul514
It has never been tested!

Hundreds of years and not once tested, if/when it was the law would be changed and the bill passed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, but that does not answer my question; why should hold she such powers? We have not chosen her and imo if the monarchy wants to continue we should have a referendum and let the people choose.
(edited 8 years ago)
All they do is run around on their horses killing innocent animals for fun, and we give them our money for god knows what.

There's no actual point of the monarchy except for patriotism and cultural identity, and none of that really matters.
Original post by rkhan57
Okay, but that does not answer my question; why should hold she such powers? We have not chosen her and imo if the monarchy wants to continue we should have a referendum and let the people choose.

Because people don't like to waste time on things which hold no relevance and are popular

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 203
Original post by paul514
Because people don't like to waste time on things which hold no relevance and are popular

Posted from TSR Mobile

So our head of state holds no relevance? Okay.
Original post by rkhan57

I think maybe his point may be that there's no point in changing a system that's popular shown by yougov polls etc. As well as what is the need in changing a system that works well in its current state.
Reply 205
Original post by chopkins1997
I think maybe his point may be that there's no point in changing a system that's popular shown by yougov polls etc. As well as what is the need in changing a system that works well in its current state.

Because it is 2015? Why should a old tradition hold any powers or influence over us today? and okay these polls probably do not have much contributors so imo I not credible when representing what UK citizens want, all I am saying is that a referendum needs to occur over this matter to settle it once for all.
Original post by rkhan57
because it is 2015? Why should a old tradition hold any powers or influence over us today? And okay these polls probably do not have much contributors so imo i not credible when representing what uk citizens want, all i am saying is that a referendum needs to occur over this matter to settle it once for all.

its 2015 i mean come on xdddd

dude weed lnao xxdddd

its the current year
Original post by rkhan57
Because it is 2015? Why should a old tradition hold any powers or influence over us today? and okay these polls probably do not have much contributors so imo I not credible when representing what UK citizens want, all I am saying is that a referendum needs to occur over this matter to settle it once for all.

Cars were invented in the 1800s why do we still use them today i mean come on why should such an old functional invention be used today it is literally the current year
Original post by rkhan57

No she holds no relevance. Plus what a poster already said in reply to you.

On the subject of a referendum there is no point you would just be wasting time and money it isn't even close to being 50/50

I can't remember the exact figures but it's over 80% in favour of the status quo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 209
Original post by mechanicsonejune
Cars were invented in the 1800s why do we still use them today i mean come on why should such an old functional invention be used today it is literally the current year

Yes and cars run our country, confirm legislation and we pay millions for them do nothing, good comparison. Idiot.
Original post by rkhan57
Yes and cars run our country, confirm legislation and we pay millions for them do nothing, good comparison. Idiot.

"We pay millions"

Literally a few pennies per taxpayer you tight bastard for an overall economic gain
Reply 211
Original post by paul514
No she holds no relevance. Plus what a poster already said in reply to you.

On the subject of a referendum there is no point you would just be wasting time and money it isn't even close to being 50/50

I can't remember the exact figures but it's over 80% in favour of the status quo

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can you possibly say 80 %? where is your credible source? Like I said no poll is credible enough to rely on.

Okay the money we are spending on the monarchy is okay, but asking what the people want is too expensive.
Point I was getting at is that you're a ****ing retard, just saying it's the current year isn't an argument
Reply 213
"We pay millions"

Literally a few pennies per taxpayer you tight bastard for an overall economic gain

Overall we pay a couple of pennies? NO, we are paying millions.
Reply 214
Original post by Onde
This does not take into account the entirety of the royal estates and other property, as well as the land doled out to aristocratic supporters over the centuries which are still owned by their descendants.

Thank you!

At last, someone who is speaking sense.
Original post by rkhan57
Overall we pay a couple of pennies? NO, we are paying millions.

We literally get a net economic gain so if anything they're paying you

Original post by Onde
When something is done because it has optimal utility, it cannot really be considered a 'tradition' in the usual definitions of the word. Even so, if the use of cars must be considered a tradition and we need to justify it, the simple answer is that indeed, it provides a function that is measurably better than alternatives.

Having a monarchy has never been the best way of running a country.

We don't have an absolute monarchy, we have a constitutional monarchy and it's doing a damn fine job of running the country
Original post by Onde
So you're agreed that if we have a monarch, it should be chosen on the basis of merit, thus making the country mightier yet?

No, the monarch should remain an inherited title. If someone wants to become the new monarch then they've got to be abdicated to or take the crown by marriage or force as has always been done.

Constitutional monarchy doesn't mean the monarch is chosen by democratic means.
Reply 217
We literally get a net economic gain so if anything they're paying you

We don't have an absolute monarchy, we have a constitutional monarchy and it's doing a damn fine job of running the country

No, any sources?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/prince-charles-routinely-sent-secret-cabinet-papers-for-decades-a6774771.html -

Constitutional monarchy separates the Head of State’s ceremonial and official duties from party politics. BUT??????
The Royal Family should've been guillotined decades ago
Original post by rkhan57
No, any sources?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/prince-charles-routinely-sent-secret-cabinet-papers-for-decades-a6774771.html -

Constitutional monarchy separates the Head of State’s ceremonial and official duties from party politics. BUT??????

Princr Charles isn't the monarch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending