The Student Room Group

Is the 3-year BEng (UK degree) recognised worldwide?

Although it is known that the Engineering courses, which have been accredited under SARTOR, have international recognition under a variety of agreements, and provide a basis for competence to practise as an engineer before going on to further professional development, I still have a doubt on the worldwide recognition of the three-year BEng UK degree.

Bachelor of Engineering degree in international universities (esp. in US, Canada, Australia, and other reputed unis in Asia) offer a four-year programme. However, as far as I know, UK is the only country which offers the three-year Engineering programme.

Being an international student, I am much concerned about the worldwide recognition of UK Engineering degree and so I want to make it very clear before coming to UK to pursue the three-year course.

After graduating from a UK uni, can I work anywhere in the world (esp. US, Canada, and Australia) as an Engineer with the 3-year BEng(Hons) qualification?

Is it possible to study an MSc Engineering degree programme in US/Canada/Australia right after graduation in UK? (i.e. is the 3-year BEng accepted in those countries?)

Please try to include in your answers the link of professional websites as references.

Thanks,
Ashique
Reply 1
I am not sure about BEng, but I think if u obtained a MENg (4 year course), you would be a chartered Engineer. Many unis offer MEng degrees - if u have any doubts, why not go for an MEng?
Reply 2
handbaglady
I am not sure about BEng, but I think if u obtained a MENg (4 year course), you would be a chartered Engineer. Many unis offer MEng degrees - if u have any doubts, why not go for an MEng?

You're slightly misinformed there - the MEng course is just the typical route to becoming a chartered engineer and even with an MEng you still have to complete various other requirements. You can still become a chartered engineer even with a BEng, it just requires a bit more work after graduation.
Sorry ASHIQUE - I don't really know much about international acceptance of qualifications. I haven't heard anything about them *not* being accepted and I would have thought that if the BEng wasn't acceptable in other countries, they would probably use the fact that the MEng is as a selling point! What about MEng in other countries - if the BEng is 4 years surely the MEng must be 5 in US/Canada/Australia/etc.?
Sorry I can't be more help.
Jenn xx
Reply 3
Most people here are doing the 4 year MEng course which is the most direct way to becoming chartered.

I don't know about comparisons to other countries.
JennLlama
Sorry ASHIQUE - I don't really know much about international acceptance of qualifications. I haven't heard anything about them *not* being accepted and I would have thought that if the BEng wasn't acceptable in other countries, they would probably use the fact that the MEng is as a selling point! What about MEng in other countries - if the BEng is 4 years surely the MEng must be 5 in US/Canada/Australia/etc.?
Sorry I can't be more help.
Jenn xx
I am also not sure about UK BEng *not* being accepted in other countries, but I heard (not from a reliable source though) that US employers do not accept three-year BEng degrees unless you're working in a US branch company in UK.

What I believe is that, if the content of the curriculum (syllabus) of the 3-yr BEng(Hons) is the same as that of 4-yr BEng (international), then the UK BEng should be acceptable. BUT I don't know whether the curriculums are the same or not.

Yes, MEng can meet the requirement of an undergraduate degree of four-year duration and hence it can be acceptable everywhere. However, international MEng is different from UK MEng, coz you need to have been awarded a BEng degree (4-yr) prior to obtaining MEng. So international MEng = MSc in Engineering. On the other hand, UK MEng is a 4-yr undergraduate course which is also equivalent to MSc in Engineering BUT the latter is a post-graduate degree. So, there might be some little differences between the two MEngs, BUT then again, I am not sure about it!

Studying MEng is a better choice coz the 'Matching Section' or further learning (MSc) is *not* required along with work experience to get the Chartered/Incorporated Engineer status. Moreover, one can save a lot of money by not studying the MSc as that is fulfilled by MEng course.

Unfortunately, getting into the MEng programme is not as easy as getting into BEng becoz, for A'level (or equivalent) students, the entry requirement is much higher for MEng. Although there is a scope for transferring to MEng from BEng course after the completion of Year 2, then again very good academic status is required. I don't know how much one needs to score in term exams, but i *think* minimum 2:1 from Year 1 + Year 2 is required. (Correct me if I am wrong!)

So, to be in the safe side, I'm considering studying BEng, in case I cannot go for MEng course.
Reply 5
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
I am also not sure about UK BEng *not* being accepted in other countries, but I heard (not from a reliable source though) that US employers do not accept three-year BEng degrees unless you're working in a US branch company in UK.

What I believe is that, if the content of the curriculum (syllabus) of the 3-yr BEng(Hons) is the same as that of 4-yr BEng (international), then the UK BEng should be acceptable. BUT I don't know whether the curriculums are the same or not.

Yes, MEng can meet the requirement of an undergraduate degree of four-year duration and hence it can be acceptable everywhere. However, international MEng is different from UK MEng, coz you need to have been awarded a BEng degree (4-yr) prior to obtaining MEng. So international MEng = MSc in Engineering. On the other hand, UK MEng is a 4-yr undergraduate course which is also equivalent to MSc in Engineering BUT the latter is a post-graduate degree. So, there might be some little differences between the two MEngs, BUT then again, I am not sure about it!

Studying MEng is a better choice coz the 'Matching Section' or further learning (MSc) is *not* required along with work experience to get the Chartered/Incorporated Engineer status. Moreover, one can save a lot of money by not studying the MSc as that is fulfilled by MEng course.

Unfortunately, getting into the MEng programme is not as easy as getting into BEng becoz, for A'level (or equivalent) students, the entry requirement is much higher for MEng. Although there is a scope for transferring to MEng from BEng course after the completion of Year 2, then again very good academic status is required. I don't know how much one needs to score in term exams, but i *think* minimum 2:1 from Year 1 + Year 2 is required. (Correct me if I am wrong!)

So, to be in the safe side, I'm considering studying BEng, in case I cannot go for MEng course.

A UK MEng is not equivalent to an MSc in Engineering I'm afraid - you can go and do an MSc after doing an MEng as an MSc is a postgraduate masters, whereas the MEng is an undergraduate masters. However, the MSc courses are usually much more specific than undergraduate ones (e.g. you could do an MEng in "Electrical Engineering" but an MSc might be in "Telecommunication Systems" or something like that) so the two can't really necessarily be compared. Presumably, therefore, an international MEng and a UK MEng are indeed different.
You are indeed correct that it is harder to get a place on an MEng than a BEng, but as you say, it is often possible to transfer between the two. The main problem for home students with doing this is sometimes LEAs can be arsey about paying your fees for an extra year, but as an international student (which, correct me if I'm wrong, you are) it presumably would not be so much of a problem. The actual requirements for transfer vary between universities - mine says you must be on a 2:1 at the end of 2nd year which seems to be fairly standard but I think I've heard of universities which say a 2:2 (though I'm not totally sure).
I think the best thing to do would be to pick a couple of companies in the US/Canada/etc. and email their recruitment departments to ask directly. Try a few different ones (increases your chance of getting an answer!). Another option might be to contact something like the British Council, who I believe are involved with recognition of international qualifications within the UK so may be able to help with the reverse situation (recognition of UK qualifications internationally).
Hope that helps a bit.
Jenn xx
JennLlama
A UK MEng is not equivalent to an MSc in Engineering I'm afraid - you can go and do an MSc after doing an MEng as an MSc is a postgraduate masters, whereas the MEng is an undergraduate masters.
OMG... I didn't know that. As MEng stands for 'Masters in Engineering' I thought it's the same as MSc in Engineering. No wonder why 4-yr BEng of NUS (National University of Singapore) is considered to be equivalent to MEng by UK Engineering Council!
JennLlama
However, the MSc courses are usually much more specific than undergraduate ones (e.g. you could do an MEng in "Electrical Engineering" but an MSc might be in "Telecommunication Systems" or something like that) so the two can't really necessarily be compared. Presumably, therefore, an international MEng and a UK MEng are indeed different.
Yes, now I've got a clear idea about the difference between UK MEng and international MEng from that example you just mentioned.
JennLlama
I think the best thing to do would be to pick a couple of companies in the US/Canada/etc. and email their recruitment departments to ask directly. Try a few different ones (increases your chance of getting an answer!). Another option might be to contact something like the British Council, who I believe are involved with recognition of international qualifications within the UK so may be able to help with the reverse situation (recognition of UK qualifications internationally).
Hope that helps a bit.
Jenn xx
Yes, contacting the international companies (US/Canada/etc) may be the best thing to do, provided they give prompt replies to my emails, lol. Yeah, British Council always says UK degrees are accepted all over the world. I'll confirm with them about BEng degree as well.

One more thing that I can do is contacting the Engineering Council of US/Canada/Australia and get their confirmation about this matter. They are supposed to assess one's Engineering qualification details for awarding 'Professional Engineer' status. I think this would be the 2nd best thing to do.

Anyway, thanks for your ideas and info about MEng.

Cheers
Reply 7
I want to revive this thread.

Is everything the previous posters said still valid? Does it mean that you are not as employable worldwide with a UK Beng instead of a US Bachelor's?

Can you find work in the US/AUS/Canada with a UK Beng as easy as you can with a US 4-year degree?
Reply 8
Original post by maxbacon
I want to revive this thread.

Is everything the previous posters said still valid? Does it mean that you are not as employable worldwide with a UK Beng instead of a US Bachelor's?

Can you find work in the US/AUS/Canada with a UK Beng as easy as you can with a US 4-year degree?

The advice given still stands.

(Which is not necessarily the same as your summary. A 4 year US degree *is* usually the same as a 3 year UK uni degree. ie they take an extra year in America.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
The advice given still stands.

(Which is not necessarily the same as your summary. A 4 year US degree *is* usually the same as a 3 year UK uni degree. ie they take an extra year in America.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Therefore, the workload in UK universities is much greater?
Reply 10

No. It's just a different system. It's similar with Scottish universities were the education system is designed so that most do a 4 year degree for BA/BSc.

That said, your best bet, if you really intend a career in engineering, is probably to go for a MEng from the start.

No we just learn to a higher level before we start university and US Colleges require you to do 'general education' requirements alongside your main course. 3 years is also the standard across Europe, with technical degrees often being offered as 4/5 years integrated masters out of this being the new standard in Europe, not to compete with the US. So yeah the 3 year bachelor's is seen as the same level, and I think that's evidenced by every international engineering student I know only being on the 3 year Bachelor's course rather than 4 years masters.

Quick Reply

Latest