The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chikane
Really? i havent read anywhere they were introducing that by 2017.

There was a consultation carried out a while back and there is a thorough document available detailing the findings and proposed actions

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/349899/bis-14-984-government-response-to-a-consultation-on-a-sharia-compliant-alternative-finance-product.pdf
Original post by Hdizzle
There was a consultation carried out a while back and there is a thorough document available detailing the findings and proposed actions

https://www.gov.uk/governmennt/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/349899/bis-14-984-government-response-to-a-consultation-on-a-sharia-compliant-alternative-finance-product.pdf

It has not been updated since 2014. Usually the government would have announced it during the big spending review?
Original post by chikane
It has not been updated since 2014. Usually the government would have announced it during the big spending review?

I'm merely sharing what was on the document about it possibly being available in 2017. It's not something I'm going to rely on heavily because it may not go through in time for 2017. But if that option is available it would definitely be helpful.
Original post by Hdizzle
I'm merely sharing what was on the document about it possibly being available in 2017. It's not something I'm going to rely on heavily because it may not go through in time for 2017. But if that option is available it would definitely be helpful.

Usually during the big spending review they should have mentioned this I know student finance for postgraduate courses will be available from sep 2016.
It would be brilliant whenever they introduce this.
Original post by chikane
If they are starting in Sep 2017 there will be no nhs bursary then and they will have to take out a full loan of 9k.

The bursary has only been removed for nursing, midwifery and AHP courses not medicine, for now.

[QUOTE="Hdizzle;61780251"]Hi everyone :smile:

A bit about me: I'm a 2nd year Orthoptics student (classed as a health sciences degree)
I chose not to apply for medicine when leaving school as I wasn't able to take out the 9k tuition fee loan as there
was a requirement to pay back interest so I opted for an NHS funded course.
I still worked towards getting good grades nevertheless A*A*Abc in Chem, Maths, Bio, Arabic and general studies (Both AS)

QUOTE]

They've been trying to introduce that non - interest loan stuff since I was in sixth form, it's unlikely they ever will. If you do any kind of medicine then you most likely will have to take out interest loans unless you can afford to pay for it yourself.
Now it is 2016 I will start prepping for 2017 entry... so going to start with preparing for the GAMSAT.
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Now it is 2016 I will start prepping for 2017 entry... so going to start with preparing for the GAMSAT.

How are you going about the preparation just out of interest?
I personally am reading complex literature, scientific new articles, doing A-level chemistry in one year and I am going to revise some physics notes which my friend gave me.
Reply 387
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
How are you going about the preparation just out of interest?
I personally am reading complex literature, scientific new articles, doing A-level chemistry in one year and I am going to revise some physics notes which my friend gave me.

Where are you applying for in 2017? I haven't started preparing, starting to feel the pressure.
Original post by 123ash
Where are you applying for in 2017? I haven't started preparing, starting to feel the pressure.

I don't know yet, results of the UKCAT and GAMSAT play a big part in getting into each medical school, so on the assumption I succeed in both:
Warwick
KCL
Barts/St Georges
Newcastle

Why are you feeling the pressure already ?!
Reply 389
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I don't know yet, results of the UKCAT and GAMSAT play a big part in getting into each medical school, so on the assumption I succeed in both:
Warwick
KCL
Barts/St Georges
Newcastle

Why are you feeling the pressure already ?!

Because I haven't started prep for the exams.

Good luck!
Hey,
So I have always wanted to do medicine but I went to poor schools and didnt fully realise the competition.

GCSE's, 1 A*, 2 A's, 8 B's
A Level; A in philosophy, B (1 UMS off an A :frown:) in Biology, and a C in Chemistry. d at AS psychology. (ABCd- convenient!).

I went to UoL to study Biological and Medical Sciences and have now switched to Tropical Disease Biology. I will graduate from Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine next year.

So essentially my academic profile is pretty weak. for me personally, work experience, volunteering and funding is not and will not be a problem. I am incredibly stressed and almost given up on medicine as I feel unable to get a first. I plan to apply to Southampton undergraduate, graduate, Newcastle and not sure what to use my fourth option on. I cannot apply to Liverpool even though I'm already there because they require BBB at A level.

Any suggestions where else to apply? I'd rather UKCAT as my physics and maths isnt strong.
Any tips on applying? I will put my application together this summer to submit it in September 2016. On this point, who predicts the degree classification you may get? Term starts late at my university so I will need to draft my personal statement in the summer to a pretty high quality in time for my tutor to do a reference and help me with it.

I'm starting to feel I should give up on the dream of medicine, I feel I'm clearly not academic enough and its made me completley lose motivation for this year at university. :eek3::eek3::fallenangel:
Reply 391
Original post by eilidhchambe
Hey,
So I have always wanted to do medicine but I went to poor schools and didnt fully realise the competition.

GCSE's, 1 A*, 2 A's, 8 B's
A Level; A in philosophy, B (1 UMS off an A :frown:) in Biology, and a C in Chemistry. d at AS psychology. (ABCd- convenient!).

I went to UoL to study Biological and Medical Sciences and have now switched to Tropical Disease Biology. I will graduate from Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine next year.

So essentially my academic profile is pretty weak. for me personally, work experience, volunteering and funding is not and will not be a problem. I am incredibly stressed and almost given up on medicine as I feel unable to get a first. I plan to apply to Southampton undergraduate, graduate, Newcastle and not sure what to use my fourth option on. I cannot apply to Liverpool even though I'm already there because they require BBB at A level.

Any suggestions where else to apply? I'd rather UKCAT as my physics and maths isnt strong.
Any tips on applying? I will put my application together this summer to submit it in September 2016. On this point, who predicts the degree classification you may get? Term starts late at my university so I will need to draft my personal statement in the summer to a pretty high quality in time for my tutor to do a reference and help me with it.

I'm starting to feel I should give up on the dream of medicine, I feel I'm clearly not academic enough and its made me completley lose motivation for this year at university. :eek3::eek3::fallenangel:

I wouldn't give up :smile:
If you don't make it which a lot of people don't- at least you can say you tried your hardest.

The most important thing is getting a good grade at your degree. That's the whole point really for those who didn't get good grades at GCSE and A-levels.

Do some week experience right now- you don't need much but you need to be reflect on what you learnt...

and fir the UKCAT and GAMSAT, do both or just pick one and only apply to the unis that want it.

Good luck!!
Reply 392
How are people doing in their degree? I know we only need a 2.1 to apply however im slightly worried as my grades at the moment at average- some 60s and 70s. Is that normal?
Reply 393
Original post by ellen111
Hello, what type of work experience and volunteering work are people hoping to apply for gem 2017 doing?
I am wondering if there needs to be a lot more than what people do when the apply during a levels as its supposed to be more competitive.
Thank you

Im keeping mine simple. I walk an elderly person from their home once a week. and im an agency worker as a cleaner/receptionist for the nhs :smile:

and I do a few other things like student ambassador job for uni.
What im really focusing on is getting the highest grades on my modules. I don't want to have a bunch of work experience but then realise I have low grades like a 60 which just meets the entry requirement

I don't think you need to have more work experience but I think the quality of that work experience is more important- you need to really reflect on what you did and what you learnt. :smile:
Original post by Msadiq
Im keeping mine simple. I walk an elderly person from their home once a week. and im an agency worker as a cleaner/receptionist for the nhs :smile:

What im really focusing on is getting the highest grades on my modules. I don't want to have a bunch of work experience but then realise I have low grades like a 60 which just meets the entry requirement

I don't think you need to have more work experience but I think the quality of that work experience is more important- you need to really reflect on what you did and what you learnt. :smile:

You're better off getting more experience/quality experience. Literally No where looks at your transcript, a 60% grade and a 69% grade are still the same in med school eyes a 2.1.

A 2.1 is a 2.1, doesn't matter either way. Most people in my year got a 2.1, only a few had a first as they want more experience/life experience.

Original post by Msadiq
How are people doing in their degree? I know we only need a 2.1 to apply however im slightly worried as my grades at the moment at average- some 60s and 70s. Is that normal?
Original post by Msadiq

Agree with the other poster don't think they are looking at stuff like student ambassador or reception work. If you can apply or volunteer at a care home.
Reply 396
Original post by lcsurfer
You're better off getting more experience/quality experience. Literally No where looks at your transcript, a 60% grade and a 69% grade are still the same in med school eyes a 2.1.

A 2.1 is a 2.1, doesn't matter either way. Most people in my year got a 2.1, only a few had a first as they want more experience/life experience.

Ahh okay no I do agree a 2.1 is all you need :smile: but because a few unis do ask for yout trasncript- especially the ones im applying for.. so I will put some effort into getting a high 2.1 or a 1st :smile:
thanks for your advice
Original post by Msadiq
Ahh okay no I do agree a 2.1 is all you need :smile: but because a few unis do ask for yout trasncript- especially the ones im applying for.. so I will put some effort into getting a high 2.1 or a 1st :smile:
thanks for your advice

Are you applying for the likes of B'ham and Oxbridge?
Hey guys! Is the government really scraping GEM? I'm so uber nervous and worried! :-(
Original post by shopaholic123
Hey guys! Is the government really scraping GEM? I'm so uber nervous and worried! :-(

Some universities have decided to stop offering GEM because they don't feel they can cover the syllabus in the shorter time frame. At present (with F1 being under provisional registration) GEM courses still fit within the guidelines set by the EU. Should full registration move to graduation rather than after F1 it may be that 4 year GEM courses have to be replaced with 5 year courses. Whether or not the funding is adjusted to accommodate this no one knows.

Also with the financial pressures universities are under- better to get 5 or 6 normal years of funding out of a student than 4 with an intensive, longer first year that costs more to provide than a standard first year. I really hope it continues to be an option as it is an amazing way to widen participation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending