The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Another Law applicant here! Applying at Cambridge, UCL, Bristol, Nottingham (and another, undecided Uni!). Sent my application on the 24th of December, and yet to hear back from anyone - although Cambridge will come in tomorrow by post.

Really quite excited to be studying Law next year, although I'm half terrified I'll hate it as I have absolutely no experience with academic law.
Original post by legoody
Another Law applicant here! Applying at Cambridge, UCL, Bristol, Nottingham (and another, undecided Uni!). Sent my application on the 24th of December, and yet to hear back from anyone - although Cambridge will come in tomorrow by post.

Really quite excited to be studying Law next year, although I'm half terrified I'll hate it as I have absolutely no experience with academic law.

I don't think you'll be able to choose another uni now your UCAS is sent off...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you not rather go to a Bristol/Durham/Warwick rather than an LSE/UCL/KCL, given that both are more or less equally regarded/respected and the latter have much more expensive living costs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trad1998
I don't think you'll be able to choose another uni now your UCAS is sent off...
Yes they can I put my 5th one in later than my others as I was undecided. As long as you don't accept any offer you can add more (you can't change the uni or if rejected add another when you had originally used all 5 up) :smile:
Hello everyone. I'm applying to Durham, York, Lincoln and Sheffield (Cambridge (King's College) have unsurprisingly rejected me today) and I was wondering if anyone has heard from York or Durham yet? I'm stressin' out that I haven't heard anything even though I know Durham is usually a late offer giver. Ughhh waiting is the worst. (Also congrats to everyone with offers!!!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by oli19919
Why didn't you apply to bristol or warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I only wanted to apply to 2 LNAT uni's incase I messed it up (which I may have to I'm kinda glad I did)

also Newcastle seems to be ranked better than warick and also I like the city of Newcastle. But the city of London seems so full of opportunity which is why I chose UCL and kings as my 2 top and only LNAT uni's
Original post by Cholesta
Well, my son applied to Nottingham and he got an email to say that in 2 weeks they would offer places to the top candidates in the LNAT with top GCSE grades. He got that offer in 2 weeks so his LNAT should have been good. UCL look at the essay and not so much the score. You'll be fine for Kings. Offers also from Bristol and Glasgow. Waiting for LSE with bated breath. My son had an offer from them last year and he had a panic attack in an exam and marginally missed his offer. He had extenuating circumstances as it was the anniversary of his dad's death. LSE still wouldn't take him. Resitting a module and fast tracking an A level. Chin up, you'll be fine. Ucl is more competitive than Kings. Hopefully you'll hear soon.

You would think LSE would have taken that more into consideration. But I have heard their admissions are really bizzare and unpredictable and it's not always the top grades get in. They're all amazing UNI's. For me, I just wanted to have a few back ups but deep down I never really intended to go there but it's looking like I may have to; not the worst problem in the world though. I'm really starting to doubt King's though. I thought I would get rejected from UCL because I know it receives so many applicants because it is so high in league tables as well as being in London and having such big international recognition, but I think what has been saddening the most is the fact that it was so quick (I applied in December) and also I got rejected based on my LNAT (apparently) but like you say hopefully they looked more at the essay, or else maybe it was just a generic response they send out to everyone and really it was something else like my gcses weren't fantastic or they didn't like my personal statement or whatever.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bobkata
Hey guys :smile: Just interested to know if UCL reject you on the basis of your LNAT relatively fast? I mean, most of the people who had probably underperformed so far have already been rejected. Does that mean that the others have a decent score and will be taken under consideration? Sorry for the ridiculous question though. I just have a theory of how these unis make their decisions and wanted to know what you think :biggrin:
I wish everyone here good luck and hopefully we all get to our first/second choices :smile:

I think it's just a generic response that UCL gives. But well, we will know when the LNAT results come out in early February.
still waiting for KCL, UCL, birmingham and Durham and it's killing me too :frown: submitted my application on 17th november but only sat for the LNATs on 17th dec.

any idea how long they'll usually take to reply after LNATs?
Original post by anitatoz
still waiting for KCL, UCL, birmingham and Durham and it's killing me too :frown: submitted my application on 17th november but only sat for the LNATs on 17th dec.

any idea how long they'll usually take to reply after LNATs?

Birmingham is likely to get back to you sooner than the others :smile: Probably, UCL and Durham as well as Kings will take their time and I believe we can all expect responses after this Friday at least. You never know when UCL give out their offers/rejections though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those who got their offer from Birmingham, did you all find out through email or through track?
Original post by fs1
I do English lit, French and philosophy and ethics. How about you? I am so excited and terrified about the whole Oxford thing but maybe that's a good thing. Just gonna keep thinking over it.

Omg I do exactly the same A-Levels as you snap
Original post by kingofacademics
You would think LSE would have taken that more into consideration. But I have heard their admissions are really bizzare and unpredictable and it's not always the top grades get in. They're all amazing UNI's. For me, I just wanted to have a few back ups but deep down I never really intended to go there but it's looking like I may have to; not the worst problem in the world though. I'm really starting to doubt King's though. I thought I would get rejected from UCL because I know it receives so many applicants because it is so high in league tables as well as being in London and having such big international recognition, but I think what has been saddening the most is the fact that it was so quick (I applied in December) and also I got rejected based on my LNAT (apparently) but like you say hopefully they looked more at the essay, or else maybe it was just a generic response they send out to everyone and really it was something else like my gcses weren't fantastic or they didn't like my personal statement or whatever.

I know and appreciate the heartbreak you feel. Don't give up on Kings. Plenty of people get accepted by Kings and not UCL. There is also the option of a gap year and apply to universities like Nottingham and Bristol. My son applied to UCL mid October. To be honest, I'm not looking forward to the possible rejection from LSE. A letter was forwarded to them to say that the first offer had been missed due to extenuating circumstances and that it was a reapplication. I'm sure your parents have been supportive and I look forward to hearing that you got an offer from Kings. 🍀🍀
Original post by connieiscrazy
Omg I do exactly the same A-Levels as you snap

May I ask where did you apply to?
Oh wow! Thank you so much for your response! It's really helping me with my decision process.

Original post by crocface
I think you have to take in concideration what your end goal is. I think from Law school perspective they are basically equal. I'm a European/International student so see myself ending up in an international role and not UK based. Here my personal reasoning:

QMUL:
---------

+ If you see yourself ending up with a career in London then has all the possible chances of making contacts while you are there. As it is member of university of London you are also kept up to date on what law events job chances that might be happening at UCL/LSE/Kings/ pollitics etc.

+ It is on the up and investing in the future and trying to increase it's standing among the other London law schools. It already has raised the stated entry requirements to be equivalent to the competition, although they currently tend to be quietly more leniant if you dont make the grades. They will certainly in the future slam the door in your face once they have raised the brand.

- Very expensive living and limited on campus accomodation for first year students.

- You might be looked down on by your illustrious competition at the other London law schools. When I attended a King's summer school they basically said we usually associate with UCL and LSE students but not so much QMUL.

Bristol:
--------

+ A long established and reknowed law school and university is better recognised in Europe and internationally. Winston Churchill was the chancellor, which basically sums up the international view.

+ Bristol city is fantastically on the edge culturally. The Uni is slap bang in the middle of one of the best student cities in UK. It seems a lot of students who had previously grand international aspirations never leave the city and opt for a more balanced and employable regional life.

+ Ex illumini. I have personally met some very impressive ex law school students. The British ambassador of my current country was an ex Bristol law school and civil service fast track star. It obviously didn't do him any harm.

+ Drama. They have a renowned drama and film societies and offer £3000/year scholarships to talented people not directy studying subjects related to drama. It will help with my future memorable court room theatrics M'lud

- Distant from the the London networking scene
Original post by Al9121010
I think it's just a generic response that UCL gives. But well, we will know when the LNAT results come out in early February.

I don't think it is a generic response; they rejected me for a different reason back in November.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Solrac777
I don't think it is a generic response; they rejected me for a different reason back in November.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that :frown: For what reason did you get rejected?
Apparently, they give out rejections pretty fast if they see that your LNAT/predicted grades etc are not up to what they expect...
Wish you good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AliceHealy
Hello everyone. I'm applying to Durham, York, Lincoln and Sheffield (Cambridge (King's College) have unsurprisingly rejected me today) and I was wondering if anyone has heard from York or Durham yet? I'm stressin' out that I haven't heard anything even though I know Durham is usually a late offer giver. Ughhh waiting is the worst. (Also congrats to everyone with offers!!!)

I applied to both Durham and York, both have given me conditional offers, York has two sessions of giving out offers/Interviews one in Dec and one in Jan/Feb Durham takes its time so I wouldn't worry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MHussainAli
I applied to both Durham and York, both have given me conditional offers, York has two sessions of giving out offers/Interviews one in Dec and one in Jan/Feb Durham takes its time so I wouldn't worry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats :smile: May I ask when did you apply? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i have all 5 offers now, just got accepted by Cambridge yesterday!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending