The Student Room Group

What A-levels would you recommend?

Currently in the process of choosing what A-levels to take starting September. I'm thinking Chemistry, Maths at the moment (currently doing Further Maths GCSE but would probably just do normal maths at A-level), and then I'm not sure on Physics or Biology, and then maybe economics? Can anyone let me know how they've found these courses? Thanks!
what are your career plans?
Reply 2
Firstly, have a good look at what you may want to do at University as a course. Try to choose subjects with good variety if your unsure, at school I do think teachers are a great source of advice especially when it came to choosing my AS Levels. Oh and a good point, go for subjects that you enjoy and will probably get a decent grade in; it will help you for your AS Levels (they are tough), good luck in your GCSEs.
I did maths, further maths, bio and chem
I dropped further maths in my second year as i did not need it for my uni (pharmacy)

Doing maths and further maths makes life a lot easier. Its like ding 1 subject instead of two
You have more time to focus on your other two subjects

My advice, go for further maths as its an easy subject to get a high grade

Other subjects depend on what career path youre looking to get in to
Reply 4
Original post by harmony_x
what are your career plans?

Still not too sure, but definitely going to go to university

Original post by Maz A
Firstly, have a good look at what you may want to do at University as a course. Try to choose subjects with good variety if your unsure, at school I do think teachers are a great source of advice especially when it came to choosing my AS Levels. Oh and a good point, go for subjects that you enjoy and will probably get a decent grade in; it will help you for your AS Levels (they are tough), good luck in your GCSEs.

Thanks. I've been having a look at plenty and Chemistry and Maths are the only ones required for most, so they're my definite ones at the min. I'm predicted A* in all my sciences so that is why I can't decide between Physics and Biology haha. I might even do all three and get rid of economics?
Reply 5
Original post by MBK14
Still not too sure, but definitely going to go to university

Thanks. I've been having a look at plenty and Chemistry and Maths are the only ones required for most, so they're my definite ones at the min. I'm predicted A* in all my sciences so that is why I can't decide between Physics and Biology haha. I might even do all three and get rid of economics?

Hmm I would choose Physics over biology in your case (undecided). Chemistry is essential for things like medicine and physics is essential for most courses in engineering both of them --> chemical engineering. A subject like biology is of course useful if you want to go down a healthcare route but is not required. Economics with maths is also a good combination if you want to go for a course in business. I was in a similar situation but I have to re-iterate that A levels are difficult and if you do enjoy the sciences then go for it but there is a lot of information to learn.
Reply 6
The trick for easier A-Levels is to choose subject heavily related - Further Maths, Maths and Physics (with Bio / Chem) would be a great choice because revising / improving on one will improve the others.

I like Maths so maybe I'm biased...

If you aren't sure of what you want to do in University, the best choice (in my humble opinion) would be Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. If you want to do a Maths degree most universities don't require Further Maths but expect higher results in normal Maths (such as Russell group unis). Of course FM helps with every subject above but could be viewed as unnecessary; it'll help with Maths but help not so much with Biology, for example.

You make the decision. Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics is my suggestion - perhaps not too well informed because I do Maths and Further Maths!

I hope I helped in some way.
Original post by MBK14
Currently in the process of choosing what A-levels to take starting September. I'm thinking Chemistry, Maths at the moment (currently doing Further Maths GCSE but would probably just do normal maths at A-level), and then I'm not sure on Physics or Biology, and then maybe economics? Can anyone let me know how they've found these courses? Thanks!

I do French, Chemistry, Physics and Maths
Chemistry is so good! It's really interesting and I find it quite easy rn.
I also did Further Maths GCSE which helps with C1 a lot, but not so much anything else. I really like maths too, if you do Maths Mechanics (I do this) it will help a lot with the Physics. Maths is a good one because it will go with lots of your A levels and Universities like it.
Physics is hard but also really interesting. I find it the hardest out of all of mine but I think it is the one that interests me the most. I think you'd enjoy it because of the relation between Maths/Fm and a little bit of Chemistry.
As for Biology, I've got friends who do it and they like it but say there's a big step up from GCSE and lots of new words to learn and stuff
TBH just choose A levels which interest you, you enjoy and are good at, that's what I did and I'm really happy with my choices! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Jamdroid
The trick for easier A-Levels is to choose subject heavily related - Further Maths, Maths and Physics (with Bio / Chem) would be a great choice because revising / improving on one will improve the others.

I like Maths so maybe I'm biased...

If you aren't sure of what you want to do in University, the best choice (in my humble opinion) would be Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. If you want to do a Maths degree most universities don't require Further Maths but expect higher results in normal Maths (such as Russell group unis). Of course FM helps with every subject above but could be viewed as unnecessary; it'll help with Maths but help not so much with Biology, for example.

You make the decision. Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics is my suggestion - perhaps not too well informed because I do Maths and Further Maths!

I hope I helped in some way.

Thanks - you did!
Reply 9
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I do French, Chemistry, Physics and Maths
Chemistry is so good! It's really interesting and I find it quite easy rn.
I also did Further Maths GCSE which helps with C1 a lot, but not so much anything else. I really like maths too, if you do Maths Mechanics (I do this) it will help a lot with the Physics. Maths is a good one because it will go with lots of your A levels and Universities like it.
Physics is hard but also really interesting. I find it the hardest out of all of mine but I think it is the one that interests me the most. I think you'd enjoy it because of the relation between Maths/Fm and a little bit of Chemistry.
As for Biology, I've got friends who do it and they like it but say there's a big step up from GCSE and lots of new words to learn and stuff
TBH just choose A levels which interest you, you enjoy and are good at, that's what I did and I'm really happy with my choices! :biggrin:

That's really helpful - thanks. I've heard the same about Biology which is why I'm quite apprehensive about it. Sticking to Chemistry, Maths and Physics.
Reply 10
Original post by Maz A
Hmm I would choose Physics over biology in your case (undecided). Chemistry is essential for things like medicine and physics is essential for most courses in engineering both of them --> chemical engineering. A subject like biology is of course useful if you want to go down a healthcare route but is not required. Economics with maths is also a good combination if you want to go for a course in business. I was in a similar situation but I have to re-iterate that A levels are difficult and if you do enjoy the sciences then go for it but there is a lot of information to learn.

Not sure healthcare is for me which is why I'm going to stick with Physics - thanks for you're help
Original post by MBK14
That's really helpful - thanks. I've heard the same about Biology which is why I'm quite apprehensive about it. Sticking to Chemistry, Maths and Physics.

Wise choice m80
I salute you :wavey:
Reply 12
Original post by MBK14
Not sure healthcare is for me which is why I'm going to stick with Physics - thanks for you're help

No problem, good luck in your studies
Original post by MBK14

I'd recommend all of them except economics, which I didn't do. I did a university module on quantitative economics which was pretty good, but I think the A-level would be too essay heavy(depending on how you like essays).
As for biology or physics, do you like maths or remembering lots of stuff?
Reply 14
If you are planning to do maths at University I recommend

Maths

Further Maths

Additional Further Maths

Physics

Quick Reply

Latest